Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1471969 06/06/07
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
How are Bartlein and Broughton barrels doing in the world of BR competition.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Boyd,
From your link it looks like Broughton is becoming as popular as any of the longer established barrel makers.
Do you feel that Bartlein will eventually perform their way to popularity or not?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Boyd,
From your link it looks like Broughton is becoming as popular as any of the longer established barrel makers.
Do you feel that Bartlein will eventually perform their way to popularity or not?
It is just too early to tell..From what I hear they make a pretty good barrel...We shall see.I also hear they have sooooo many orders they are way behind.Time will tell.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Isn't Bartlein a bunch of disgruntled Krieger employees?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blaine
Isn't Bartlein a bunch of disgruntled Krieger employees?
Something like that

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My gunsmith let me look at a Bartlein barrel with his bore scope and if they didn't have such a back log, I would easily consider ordering one of their tubes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I ordered my Bartlein, I had the impression from another forum that they were probably among the top employees ready to spread their own wings.
I was not using this particular rifle anyway so the wait should not be too painful.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a couple and had them put on my new rifle this year. Problems so I have gone back to Krieger. Had a couple of blanks shipped to my Smith so by the next match I will be good to go. Using the new rifle finished dead last in a 4 target agg at 600 yds and at the middle of the pack at 1k then with a previously chambered Krieger just screwed on the action verified the headspace and just barely missed the shoot off on that relay. The new barrel was using the loads worked up for the Bartlein and looking at them with the scope it was not very pretty with a flattened land and some tool marks that were still present after the lapping. I know some have had good luck but the 2 I have are for sale or I will use them for jack handles in the Hi Lift jack at the ranch.

Tim North makes good stuff�have had pretty good luck with the 4 I have from him but I just prefer single point cut tubes.

NRA Life Member
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Besides Obermeyer, krieger, and Bartlein what companies in the USA are single pointing?

IC B3

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Forgot Lawton.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just curious, what is single point rifling? Is it in reference to the set-up and layout of the tooling, or is it descriptive of the rifling shape? Sort of like Broughton's canted lands?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Single point must refer to conventional cut rifling. A new usage of the term. In this case, a single cutter cuts each groove. Each cut will remove about .0002" of material then the cutter is indexed to the next groove and so on. Obviously it will take many passes to complete the barrel. Some cutters are ground to act as a scraper which is straight across. Others are angle across the face. As a scraper, rake is neutral. A cutter which acts more as a shearing cutter rather than as a scraper, is used in "hook rifling". In this case, the cutter rake is positive and more metal is removed per pass. The finish is usually not as good with the hook cutter having a tendency to tear the edges of the lands. Other variations in form might have to do with the maker's views on what is a proper groove and land form. Some will prefer sharp corners, others rounded. Some, square lands, others, trapezoidal. Some makers make the radius of the grooves to match that of the barrel while others might prefer a tighter radius or a larger one. Harry Pope's rifling form for his lead bullet barrels featured a groove which was essentially flat in which the middle of the groove was roughly bore diameter. The corners of the grooves formed the rifling. Ultimately, the form of the rifling is less important than dimensional consistency and finish.
In contrast to the "single point" cutting, broaching cuts all the grooves to full depth in one pass. The broach will feature several steps with each step removing a bit more material. Obviously, broaching is much faster but the cost of the broach is high and I'm not sure what tool life is like. I don't know of any maker of match grade barrels who is broaching barrels.
When things are working as they should, the cuttings from a rifling cutter are very, very fine and tool marks are nearly nonexistent. GD

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Very interesting.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
StrayDog,

This is a link to an article written by Geoffery Kolb who owns and operates Border Barrels:

http://www.border-barrels.com/articles/bmart.htm

Regards.

The greatest mystery in life is who we really are.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Rock creek Barrels!

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Forgot about Mike Rock. His barrels are not very popular with the BR crowd, are they?

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Forgot about Mike Rock. His barrels are not very popular with the BR crowd, are they?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A couple of Harrison MI shooters, Francis Becigneul and his son Paul swear by Mikes barrels they have on their VFS rifles chambered in .30BR. Francis set a new score record (24X) last year with his rifle. The old record of 23X had been matched but not beaten for years. Francis and Paul hang out at Benchrest.{com} in the centerfire forums. You can contact them there, they'd be more than willing to share their experiences with Rock barrels.

If your not familiar with score shooting we're trying to hit a 1/16" dot (X) at 100 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I noticed on Karl Kampfield's site that he no longer recommends Bartlein barrels.Would love to know why he was dissatifieid with their barrels...

He does however recommend Kreiger and Broughton....

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.