Print Thread
Hop To
#15060461 07/18/20
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Due to extenuating circumstances, I had to buy a 1944 SMLE (lack of ready cash) for a hunting rifle. I hunted deer with it for several years until I got back to my lever rifles. With my diminishing eyesight I mounted a 4x scope for better distance shooting (even though I seldom took shots over 100 yards). The accuracy was very good with factory loads so I reloaded with lighter weight spire points and that increased my range a little. It, like a lot of the military surplus rifles, can be very good hunting rifles.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya.

I've never hunted with an SMLE, but as a young cash strapped married man my deer rifle was a "sporterized" 03-A3. Did the trick then and still would if i needed it to.

Regards,
Bob.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Lee Enfield is a very under appreciated rifle and round in this country, especially with the latest and greatest magazine writer wonder rifles.
Originally designed and produced here in the US with the model 1879. The magazine design was a first and is still in use by every nation on earth.
By the way, you have a #4 mk1, the SMLE was the earlier (WW 1) model.

Last edited by WTF; 07/18/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My first rifle was a Mk1#5 Original Jungle Carbine. I traded 4 boxes of 30 30 ammo for it. i shot a few feral goats with it but no deer or pigs. I wish i still had it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Please dont lose the magazine for your rifle, they arent cheap and the after market ones dont compare to the originals.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Speaking in terms of 20th century bolt action military rifles:

"The Americans built a target rifle,
The Germans built a sporting rifle,
The British built a fighting rifle."

The French? I dunno what they built! grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WTF

Maybe, maybe not. The SMLE was still in production and service throughout WWII, and for some years after. Not every country using the SMLE went over to the No 4.

Either of them, SMLE or No 4, can make a good practical hunting rifle though. The No 4 has, it must be admitted, better sights for the purpose as-issued.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You're correct, WTF. Since I have both the No. 4 Mk 1 and the No. 1 Mk 4 (dated 1941), I just tend to lump them both into SMLE as they are so much alike and both in .303. The marking system for these rifles was som mixed up, it's hard to tell what you actually have (also so many parts were interchangeable). Both have sporterized stocks. I just bought Maj. Reynold's book on the Enfields and I'm amazed at how much information he has compiled on them.

Last edited by Mustang0818; 07/18/20.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by WTF

Maybe, maybe not. The SMLE was still in production and service throughout WWII, and for some years after. Not every country using the SMLE went over to the No 4.

Either of them, SMLE or No 4, can make a good practical hunting rifle though. The No 4 has, it must be admitted, better sights for the purpose as-issued.

Yes, I intentionally left out the Lithgow since the most common variety one comes across here is the #4. Simply a dice roll.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mustang0818
You're correct, WTF. Since I have both the No. 4 Mk 1 and the No. 1 Mk 4 (dated 1941), I just tend to lump them both into SMLE as they are so much alike and both in .303. The marking system for these rifles was som mixed up, it's hard to tell what you actually have (also so many parts were interchangeable). Both have sporterized stocks. I just bought Maj. Reynold's book on the Enfields and I'm amazed at how much information he has compiled on them.

A No 4 is not an SMLE, and in fact very few parts indeed are interchangeable.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WTF
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by WTF

Yes, I intentionally left out the Lithgow since the most common variety one comes across here is the #4. Simply a dice roll.

Not just Lithgow. India stayed with the SMLE too, and made over 600,000 of them during WWII alone, continuing for a good few years after.

Anyway, the OP has now confirmed that indeed it isn't an SMLE after all, but a No 4, so I guess the point is moot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first deer rifle was a Number 4 Mark 1. Halfway sporterized, managed to kill a few deer with it until I went on to rifles that I liked better. Nothing wrong with either the rifle or the cartridge, as the Lee Enfield rifle in it's various forms, and the 303 British cartridge, have probably killed more game worldwide than any other.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Amusing anecdote:

A club member brought a rank newbie to camp one year. Nice kid, and he proudly unwrapped a crudely sporterized No.4Mk1. None of us paid much attention to the gun except to watch how he handled it.

The evening of opening day he returned to camp utterly dejected. He took a shot at a standing buck and missed by a mile, and couldn't understand why. At that point I asked him if he had sighted the gun in beforehand. "Whatcha mean" was the reply. Next I asked to look at the gun. That's when I noticed it didn't even have a front sight blade- he was using the "ears" of the sight protector as the front sight, whichever one to use was determined by which direction a deer would be running.

We fixed him up with a beater camp gun, Win M94, and drilled him on dry firing and sight picture all evening. The rest of the week he had strict orders not to lever a round into the chamber until he was ready to shoot, which as far as we knew he honored. On the last day a dumb spike wandered in front of him and he nailed it.

I took Ernie, his host, aside and strongly suggested he more thoroughly vet any other guests he brought into our midst.

P.S. The newbie kid went on to be a real rifle loony and more than made up for his initial faux pas.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mustang0818
M
BURIEN

I was born in Burien.

My father was born in Burien in 1921. There was no freeway to get there then. Just a dirt road called Myer's Way that followed the "Highline" South of Seattle.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I finally got some decent photos of my SMLE. It's a Lithgow made in 1941. From the stampings it appears to be a No. 1 Mk III*. I'm still trying to get readable photos of my No. 4. I have a few more photos but they have to be sized down to fit here.

Attached Images
HPIM5962.JPG (10.23 KB, 79 downloads)
Last edited by Mustang0818; 08/22/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (achlupsa, 35, alwaysoutdoors, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 8 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.