Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi,

I had to tighten the tension on my rotor. Thanks to "misc. good infos" for telling me how to do it. I had to rotate it twice to get it minimaly functionnal(it was to loose). How stiff do i have to wind it. Do i keep it has it is or is it better to have it with a bit of more tension.

And since my riffle is missing the rear sight step, should i try to find an original Savage part or does any other model fit and would that affect the value of the gun?

Thanks for helping me out smile

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Do this safely and maintain muzzle control at all times OUTSIDE of your living quarters.

Load your magazine. If all 5 rounds will go, then you haven't gone too far. If they don't all go, release the tension, 1 notch at a time.

Close your lever, chambering a round.

Eject and repeat loading and ejecting all five.

If all 5 eject, your done. If not go 1 notch at a time until they do.

I hope this helps.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks,

So the job is done then.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
If you mean the job is done, you're indicating success on your first attempt. If so CONGRATULATIONS. smile smile

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

P
OP Offline
P

Actually, when i wrote the first note, i had already fixed the tension. It went good, it was easy even doing it alone. The only difficulty was shaping a tool that would fit the scew.
smile

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You actually don't have to remove the spindle screw to adjust the rotor tension, if I remember correctly...I hear you on grinding a screwdriver head to fit that screw though, I have a terrible time with that.

Where can one buy a split-head screwdriver that will fit the screws on a 99? I looked in the Brownell's catalog for a bit that would fit the set that I have, but couldn't find anything. Might have missed it, though.

Don

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Take the Brownells driver bit that fits the width of the locknut and just file the center out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 1895 has a different configuration. Just a flathead scredriver type slot which runs across the entire diameter of the back plate?????????? Same process or not???? Any ideas????

Mike....

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A file...now why didn't I think of that?? I'd been using a cutting disk in a Dremel, and couldn't keep enough control to get a good result. Thanks Wes!

Don

P
OP Offline
P
For my tool, i took a dollar store flat wood carver and with my dremel's cuting disc, i cut out a slot the width of the nut. The thickness of the wood carver is the right size. wink

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by petergun
For my tool, i took a dollar store flat wood carver and with my dremel's cuting disc, i cut out a slot the width of the nut. The thickness of the wood carver is the right size. wink

Good tip, merci!

Don

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 160user, 10ring1, 204guy, 41 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,857
Posts18,517,699
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.