Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've always liked to follow the KISS train of thought and that pertains to my selection of optics for my rifles. I don't need nor do I want the latest and greatest long range scope on my rifles. Sure they may have a place, but I like to keep mine lean and mean. The scope has to look like it was made for that rifle, but also function properly of course. So with that being said I have a model 70 chambered for the .22 Hornet and would like to put a clean looking scope on it. Being a Hornet with not a lot of recoil and the 70 being a fairly heavy rifle I was wondering if there would be any problems using one of the .22 rimfire scopes on this rifle. Something like a 2-7x33 or a 3-9x36. The Hornets range is good up to 200 yards or so and I think I can live with the parallax set at 50 or 75 yards or whatever they set the .22 scopes at. Anyone ever go this route before? Any problems? Opinions welcomed. Thanks. BCM

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Take a look at the SWFA 2.5-10x32. You can get it with the parallax set at either 100yds or 50yds.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x32-ultralight-rifle-scope.html?___SID=U

Circles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO, a good vintage fixed 6 or 8 would look "right", and give you enough power. Finding a nice one in good working order may take a bit of doing, unless you go to one of the specialty dealers, which will cost more, but might give you a warranty of sorts. Another option is a Balvar 8. Those, and the adjustable mounts they require, are available on auction sites.

I picked up a couple of Leupold M8s recently for a couple of hundred apiece. You might do better if you're patient or lucky.

You'll need something with a pretty long tube for that M70.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I've two scopes for my K-hornet, both El Paso Weavers. One is a K4, the other a K10 AO. Both have the standard crosshair reticle. They work well and look right on a blued steel/walnut rifle.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A vintage 3-9x40 Leupold works well on this K-Hornet CZ with rail and low Weavers...

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Keep in mind the hornet in a Pre 64 m70 platform is a full size gun! Consider the LOP and realize you will need a scope with generous eye relief and you will probably have to use rear extended rings. Just sayin from my own personal experience. The SWFA scope mentioned didn’t work for me, not enough eye relief.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hard to beat a vintage K6 Weaver for the Hornet. I have one on a Model 43 and dont feel overscoped.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wont a fixed 10 leupold for my mod. 70. it shoots well at 200 and more on calm day. the nosler hornet 45 gr. is snuckooms if you can find some.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Boxcarma, I have an older Redfield in 2 x 7 Widefield on a CZ 22 Hornet, and it looks like it was made for it. Got it on one of the gun auction sites few years back and had never been mounted. These were made back in the 70's and 80's and were top of the line back then. They are still out there but getting harder to find in good condition. I also have a couple of 3 x 9 Redfields on my Model 70's in 308 and 243. What I like them is the fact that they are light, not too long, and gather light just as good as the day they were built. Most of the scopes today are heavy, too many bells and whistles for me. The old Weavers are another good scope. Let us know what you do.

O.B.Wallace
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a 1930's vintage Winchester Model 54 22 Hornet (K Hornet actually) that wears a vintage Lyman Junior Targetspot, 8x, and I think that optic is the t*t's for that rifle. Bear in mind that a discerning rifleman in the 30's-50's would have put the best scope available on his expensive M70 varmint rifle, and at the time that would've meant Unertl, Targetspot, or Fecker. Those optics were excellent, and are still darned good today.

More modern, and a Leupold M8 6x would be my vote.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
22 rimfire scopes usually have closer parallax than a standard scope. Maybe something like a Leupold 3X9 EFR or a 6x20 efr?
I'm kinda big on adjustable objective.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I have a 1930's vintage Winchester Model 54 22 Hornet (K Hornet actually) that wears a vintage Lyman Junior Targetspot, 8x, and I think that optic is the t*t's for that rifle. Bear in mind that a discerning rifleman in the 30's-50's would have put the best scope available on his expensive M70 varmint rifle, and at the time that would've meant Unertl, Targetspot, or Fecker. Those optics were excellent, and are still darned good today.

More modern, and a Leupold M8 6x would be my vote.

This one.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/yTQiOcxm.jpg?2[/img]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Different rifles but I have a TC TCR87 single shot tgat wears a Leupold m8 6x and like it a lot as a walking around gun and looks the part. On my 77/22 k hornet I slumming a m8 12x AO that also works well on that rifle. Lots of good options out there

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Look for an old cherry gloss long tube M8-4X Leupold, nothing finer imho, goes perfect on my old model 70 22 Hornet.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FX-ii 6x36 on my 1885 Hornet. Good for 200 yard coyote.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Boxcarman
I've always liked to follow the KISS train of thought and that pertains to my selection of optics for my rifles. I don't need nor do I want the latest and greatest long range scope on my rifles. Sure they may have a place, but I like to keep mine lean and mean. The scope has to look like it was made for that rifle, but also function properly of course. So with that being said I have a model 70 chambered for the .22 Hornet and would like to put a clean looking scope on it. Being a Hornet with not a lot of recoil and the 70 being a fairly heavy rifle I was wondering if there would be any problems using one of the .22 rimfire scopes on this rifle. Something like a 2-7x33 or a 3-9x36. The Hornets range is good up to 200 yards or so and I think I can live with the parallax set at 50 or 75 yards or whatever they set the .22 scopes at. Anyone ever go this route before? Any problems? Opinions welcomed. Thanks. BCM

Search out an El Paso made K-6, they arer still a lot of them out there. The optics do not compare with todays brighter scope but they are servicable, aother choice is a Leupold M8 6x. Either were popular scopes for short range varminters in the old days. Mount them in Weaver rings with the old school wrap-over steel strap rings and you will have a piece of history to hunt with.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
IMO, a good vintage fixed 6 or 8 would look "right", and give you enough power. Finding a nice one in good working order may take a bit of doing, unless you go to one of the specialty dealers, which will cost more, but might give you a warranty of sorts. Another option is a Balvar 8. Those, and the adjustable mounts they require, are available on auction sites.

I picked up a couple of Leupold M8s recently for a couple of hundred apiece. You might do better if you're patient or lucky.

You'll need something with a pretty long tube for that M70.

I have used a straight 6 power Weaver for 35 years with good effect.

If starting out today I would maybe look at a Leupold 2.5-8 ofr something similar.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Certainly not complaining with all of your responses and some very good opinions, but evidently I did not word my question clear enough. What I was asking was this,,, if a scope that's designed for the .22 long rifle cartridge be able to withstand the recoil from a .22 Hornet chambered rifle. Seeing how the .22 designed scopes are most times slim and trim and the recoil from the Hornet fairly modest I thought that package would be a nice and neat outfit. Maybe the scope makers use the same components on the .22 scopes as they do on ones designed for the heavier kicking center fire cartridges. I don't know, just asking. Thanks again for your responses. BCM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Weaver .22 scope on a hornet for several years with no problems. So the short answer is yes, it'll handle hornet recoil if it's a reasonable quality scope. I like the suggestions on the old Redfield 2-7 or 3-9 as a smaller period-correct scope. You'll generally get better clarity and light gathering with a decent centerfire scope and you'll appreciate that on your hornet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 375TN, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 338Rules, 27 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,325
Posts18,505,862
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.