Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Two of the best young players in the game, both 23 or younger. The best comparison I can give at this stage of their career is when Andruw Jones and Vladimir Guerrero first came up. Who was better? For 10 years+ they were both outstanding. Jones had a big bat, speed, perhaps the best CF ever (and that is saying a lot), and Vlad who could hit any pitch.

Ultimately, Guerrero's best production outlasted Jones who's bat tailed off in early to mid '30s. We must remember that Jones came up as a 19 year ld and would dive for any ball making highlight catches seemingly everyday. He saved Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz many earned runs. That took its toll on his body.

Acuña and Soto are the next two up. Just like who was better, Mays or Mantle? I'd take any other them on my team! Here's from The Athletic:

Brittany Ghiroli
3h ago
Every Tuesday, The Athletic MLB will answer a different variant on a simple question: Who would you rather have? We’ve debated the merits of mascots, managers, historical seasons, prospects, owners and more. This week, though, we really stepped into it as we compare two of the best young players in the game …
When I saw the Nationals were playing the Braves this week, it seemed like a perfect idea to compare each team’s young superstar: Ronald Acuña Jr. versus Juan Soto. There are other exciting young talents, but these two debuted within a month of each other and play in the same division. It’s natural to debate who you’d rather have. Until I texted a few people in the game with the premise: present each guy’s case and then pick a winner.

“Good luck with that.”

“Not your smartest idea.”

“There is no wrong answer, but you’ll get crushed (on social media) either way.”

They aren’t wrong. Comparing Soto to Acuña is a tough task, made even more difficult by Soto’s recent surge — he has seven homers in 12 games — and Acuña on the injured list with a sore left wrist.

Do I compare them right now? Project their careers? Remind everyone that Acuña pulled away with the National League Rookie of the Year Award in 2018? That Soto had the big hit in the wild card game that helped pave the way for the Nationals to get a ring?

Truthfully, there is no wrong answer. But I will anger one side of this either way. Here we go …

The case for Ronald Acuña Jr.
Acuña was three stolen bases shy of a 40-homer, 40-steal season, an elusive club that’s even more impressive when you consider it was his age-21 season. He scored 127 runs last year, was an All-Star, Silver Slugger and fifth in MVP voting. Acuña has already amassed a career WAR above 10 and was seen as a legitimate MVP candidate heading into this shortened season.

The 22-year-old has elite foot speed and a cannon for an arm. Acuña’s 11 defensive runs saved ranked 10th among all outfielders and his 6.4 outfield arm runs ranked second among outfielders in 2019. His UZR/150 (Ultimate Zone Rating over 150 games) was 2.9, while Soto’s was -1.3 last year.

In his rookie year in ’18, Acuña used a second-half tear to pull away from Soto for NL Rookie of the Year honors. Acuña hit .293 with 26 homers and a .917 OPS in 111 games that season and became the youngest ever to hit a postseason grand slam. Soto hit .292 with 22 homers and a .923 OPS in 116 games as a rookie.

The pair, who became friends playing in Japan together after the ’18 season, will miss the good-natured ribbing and competition of trying to outdo each other in the next few days. Acuña was placed on the injured list Saturday, retroactive to Aug. 12, as his wrist wasn’t getting better.

The case for Juan Soto
Soto had 34 homers, 110 RBIs and a .949 OPS in the 2019 regular season where he finished ninth in MVP balloting. On the big stage of the postseason, Soto delivered: he hit five homers with 14 RBIs and a .927 OPS in 17 games, including three homers, seven RBIs and a 1.178 OPS in a seven-game World Series win over the Houston Astros.

While he doesn’t have Acuña’s foot speed or arm, Soto is a much more patient hitter with an extraordinary understanding of the strike zone and an approach that has drawn comparisons to 10-year veterans. Soto walked 108 times last year and has 192 walks and a relatively modest 236 strikeouts in 1,199 plate appearances, compared with Acuña’s 132 walks and 336 strikeouts in 1,280 plate appearances. The Nats outfielder has also made significant strides in improving his defense and becoming a better all-around player.

Soto, despite missing the first 10 days of the season due to what the Nationals believe was a false positive COVID-19 test, has gotten off to an incredible start in a shortened 2020 season. He’s batting .409/.490/.955 with a 1.445 OPS in his first 51 plate appearances, despite the late start to the season and missing the first two weeks of summer camp.

The verdict
Flip a coin. Do you value hitting over defense and speed? Soto is the better all-around offensive player, but Acuña is more of a complete player, a very good hitter who gets the edge in defense and baserunning. Soto is one of the best bats in MLB, especially right now, and he’s got the Soto Shuffle, which started in the minors as a way to intimidate pitchers. Acuña has had issues with perceived hustle in the past, while Soto — in pre-COVID days — was hailed for the hours he spent working on defensive reports to become better in left field.

In April, The Athletic asked the pair what they envied most about the other’s game.

Acuña: “He doesn’t strike out a lot.”

Soto: “He’s so fast. His defense; I’m still working on mine.”

They each deferred to each other on who had the better bat flip, and were — somewhat surprisingly — blunt in assessing each other’s skills. They reached the same conclusion we did: Soto is the better offensive player, Acuña better in the field and on the bases.

“We are different types of hitters,” Soto said. “He’s a leadoff guy. I’m a No. 4 hitter.”

The ceiling for both Soto and Acuña is mind-numbing to think about; could they both be Hall of Famers? We could have years, decades even to have this debate. Right now, Soto is the hotter hitter, Acuña is on the shelf. But with the expectation that the Braves outfielder will return by the end of the week, it seems incredibly shortsighted to name Soto the winner of right this minute.

The overall edge still goes to Acuña, though the gap is shrinking as Soto’s defense improves and you start to run out of superlatives for his swing. The best fans of both teams, and baseball fans in general, can hope for is that this debate continues, against the backdrop of a friendly rivalry.

“The first time I saw him, he was like a brother,” Soto said of Acuña. “I see myself in him.”

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wonder too, how many fans have seen the 2 play? Soto got some national exposure last fall in the WS, and Acuña was a couple of steals away from being a rare. If you don't floow the National League East, you might not know them very well...yet. You're in for a treat if you're a baseball fan

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have been in love with baseball for over 60 years, but so far this "season" I haven't seen a single pitch, and doubt I will. In fact I don't know if I'll ever feel the same about MLB again. The failure of the leadership in major sports to maintain the separation of sport and state has been astounding, and disappointing.

Having said all that, I have no doubt that the baseball being played today is the best ever. The improvements in conditioning, nutrition, and coaching has made players much better and at much younger ages than ever before. Soto and Acuna are two of the latest examples of this.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Go A’s!!

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Max Stassi is having a good year....... he’s a local high school stand out. Him and his brother Brock are both good guys......

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Mays and Mantle hustled. Acuna....still can't get a grasp on the concept.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Andruw Jones had to learn that lesson 20+ years ago too!😉

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
Andruw Jones had to learn that lesson 20+ years ago too!😉
Didn't Bobby give him a mid-inning lesson once?

Between those two, I'll take Soto. That swing... I like the less movement prior to contact. Plus a LH swing is just prettier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jones had a big bat, speed, perhaps the best CF ever (and that is saying a lot)

uummmm....

That's beyond a bit of a stretch.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'd take Mantle.

The only baseball I watch anymore is Mike Trout. He's good for the game but in the wrong town.

All American

All the time
IC B3

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Jones had a big bat, speed, perhaps the best CF ever (and that is saying a lot)

uummmm....

That's beyond a bit of a stretch.

I watched him for 12+ years, almost every game. He really was that good. Don Sutton agrees and he’s seen 55 years of ball players from the field and from the booth. Former big league outfielder and Braves announcer Joe Simpson thinks the Griffey Jr. was the only other one in his class.

If you never saw him regularly, you missed something special.

Nobody went back better. Nobody made more diving grabs stretched out. It became routine.

Enjoy these!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Perhaps the best CF ever?

Stop.

Mays and Mantle, in whichever order you prefer.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jones the best ever...hmmm maybe not, but the best defensive ever.... probably yes.. you simply had to watch him in person go get balls that no one else would come close and made it look easy most nights.. 10 straight years as a gold glove..

that's from a guy who watched Willie Mays in his day before the Braves came to Atlanta. Loved Mays

Yes Bobby sat him in the middle of a game for lack of hustle when he was young

Acuna or Soto... we'll see but damn near a 40/40 season last year from the lead off position says a bit

Last edited by Jglenn; 08/18/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I have been in love with baseball for over 60 years, but so far this "season" I haven't seen a single pitch, and doubt I will. In fact I don't know if I'll ever feel the same about MLB again. The failure of the leadership in major sports to maintain the separation of sport and state has been astounding, and disappointing.

Having said all that, I have no doubt that the baseball being played today is the best ever. The improvements in conditioning, nutrition, and coaching has made players much better and at much younger ages than ever before. Soto and Acuna are two of the latest examples of this.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fans love modern day baseball

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll take Soto over Acuna.

Vlad over Jones.

Good as Andruw was he never made me forget Fairfield Alabama's Willie Mays. Soto has a ring and Acuna? Probably never get one why? Glavine Smoltz Maddux...ONE world title. Put those 3 in Yankee Pinstripes and the domination would've been worse with Petitte and Clemens and Mariano.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jglenn
Jones the best ever...hmmm maybe not, but the best defensive ever.... probably yes.. you simply had to watch him in person go get balls that no one else would come close and made it look easy most nights.. 10 straight years as a gold glove..

that's from a guy who watched Willie Mays in his day before the Braves came to Atlanta. Loved Mays

Yes Bobby sat him in the middle of a game for lack of hustle when he was young

Acuna or Soto... we'll see but damn near a 40/40 season last year from the lead off position says a bit

Yes, I'm talking defense or otherwise I'd have written hitter. I also said "perhaps". Mays set the bar high.

Jones - 10 stright gold gloves

Mays - 12 overall

Mantle - 1

No comparison defensively with Mick, sorry. I say that and I loved Mantle. I actually knew him and played golf with him a few times times. Great, great guy.

If you want to old school, would you have rather had Mays or Mantle on your team?

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
I'll take Soto over Acuna.

Vlad over Jones.

Good as Andruw was he never made me forget Fairfield Alabama's Willie Mays. Soto has a ring and Acuna? Probably never get one why? Glavine Smoltz Maddux...ONE world title. Put those 3 in Yankee Pinstripes and the domination would've been worse with Petitte and Clemens and Mariano.

Scherzer, Strassburg and Corbin didn't suck last year either..... smile

Neither Soto or Acuña pitch last I looked.

Mays or Mantle?

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd take Mantle. Can't say enough good things about the time I spent with him, plus I only recall Mays at the end of his caeer when he was overweight and out of shape. The Mets version of Mays should have never happened.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Keep Mays in NY and put Mantle in San Fran with the west coast bias.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Acuña and Soto are both exciting players to watch. Tatis jr is another dynamic young player worthy of following.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 37 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,500
Posts18,490,477
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.