Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

A rear locker “locks” the axle together so the wheels both spin..

I have it on my Tacoma - the Taco 4x4 off road has a “e-locker” (electronic locker) on it so you can push a button and lock them together.
It only works in 4 low, but man it works good.

on the negative side it makes the rear end (Differenctial) weaker, and mine went bad and I had to replace it.
There are also mechanical lockers, and e-lockers...

Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Looking at the Tundra SR5 on Toyota's website.

Several TRD Off-Road (SR5 Grade) packages and a couple of TRD Sport packages.

Nowhere does it explain what the major difference is between the Off-Road and the Sport packages. They both seem to have the same upgraded shocks. Google search doesn't get me anywhere.

Anybody know for sure? When I go to the dealer, I want to already know the answer.

Tundra still is missing a rear locker in any package.

Shocking weak link that should be a discount but then again new trucks are not exactly easy to find.

Good Luck.

John burns: I’m looking at trucks too, no past experience, what is a rear locker?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We have had 3 Tundras, all excellent vehicles. Rock Warrior was an offroad TRD (Toyota Racing Development) option with Bilstein shocks, skid plates and a visual package. SR5 Limited was an option package with leather, bells and whistles and the offroad option. Really nice truck.

The Tundra DOES NOT have a locking differential. It uses traction control to automatically apply brakes to the spinning wheel to force power to the other wheel in a low traction situation. This system will get you stuck and keep you stuck. It does not work. If you get stuck and want to rock forward and back the computer pulls engine speed to idle before allowing the transmission to shift. Stay stuck. True fuel mileage empty is between 12 and 14. Occasionally gets 15, but rarely. The on board mileage computer is 4-5 mpg optimistic.

My wife has a 14 Platinum Tundra we had supercharged. 441 rear wheel horsepower. Will tow a 10,000 trailer with ease. Platinum option is a lot of luxury stuff. Hers has the CrewMax cab with a great rear cabin at the expense of bed length. 5.5 feet vs 6.5 on the double cab version. Single cab gets you 8.1 foot bed.

These are very reliable capable trucks with the best retained value of any of today's trucks.

(This sounds like an ad.)

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mikieb
You get that cool hood scoop on the sport package.... that will impress all the teen and preteen boys in the neighborhood....

The TRD Pro also has this feature (chicks dig it or so my wife tells me). That along with the TuRD labeling is pretty awesome. I'm not sure how many components the other two models share, but the suspension of the TRD Pro is pretty great. Mileage has been about the same or slightly better than Fords I have owned.

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.

Rightly or wrongly, I think the average knowledge level is a little higher here than on the Toyota forums.

Anyway, I know the members here a little better.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
No Tundras on the lot in Eureka.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess the labeling is the same as a few years ago.
You can get a SR5, and you can also get a SR5 package. So that is confusing.
For me the biggest option is the gas tank. I think you need a SR5 package to get the bigger tank, unless it is a line item add on. Silly.
Generally if you see a bench front seat, then you get the smaller gas tank. Having the shifter on the floor is the SR5 package upgrade.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The odds of getting stuck at the mall and needing a locker are slim to none. In Burns' case, the tanning salon.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The new tundras have advanced traction control so you really don’t need a locker on them.

Google Tundra TRAC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't own one, but a couple friends do. Before I stop to fuel up, they're done the same 3 times.

Cattle country here. See them hauling travel trailers etc, but never a stock trailer.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Read this thread this morning, so thought I’d do a trst this afternoon. 2020 Tundra with 19k miles. TSS package tires and rims (appearance package from southeast US distributor), tires are Goodyear Wranglers (they pull left) M+S 275/55/20 “standard load”. Truck is leveled with a soft Tonneau. Load was me and a 7 and 9 year old.

Just did a round trip from Joplin to Springfield, MO. I-44, fairly flat, but some rolling hills there and back. 90 degrees. 87 Octane, think it’s up to 10% ethanol. 138.3 miles total (would have liked to do a full tank, but the rest will he town driving) Likely about 12 miles of driving inside Springfield.

Cruise set at 75 mph. 2 areas of 60mph road construction about a mile each. Filled up at same pump beginning and end. 8.093 gallons.

Calculates to 17.088mpg. Computer said 17.2mpg. To be honest, I’m surprised it did that well. I’d have guessed in the 15s. I bought the truck with 2 miles on it a year ago in August. Checked first few tanks for mileage, just ignored it since then. I have zero complaints with my Tundra.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the info cheesy.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy

The color ensemble and wheel package on this one is freaking sublime.

WWP53D
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toyota color schemes are the best.. but damn 14 mpg I can get an F250 or gmc/gmc 2500 get that fuel mileage.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by scottishkat

Do you Tundra owners find the mileage to be in the 12 mpg range? That 5.7 is a big engine. I note their web site says 13 to 14 city slightly better on the highway. Most reliable truck out there right now.

On my 3rd new generation Tundra.

I get 14 to 16 MPG, 50% city, 50% highway, with a heavy foot.

I wouldn't pay thousands extra for a sticker and upgraded shocks and wheels, which are still mediocre stock equipment.

Buy a base model that has the trim, engine, features you want, and drop $3k on suspension, wheels and tires. You'll end up with an even better truck for less or similar cash. And if it bothers you, buy a TRD sticker on e-bay for $10 bucks.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
A couple of my friends both leased tundras lately for super low lease payments. No money down and about $250 a month.

They like them but both complain about getting 12 mpg.

Your best place to find an answer is a Toyota forum.

Bb

Do you Tundra owners find the mileage to be in the 12 mpg range? That 5.7 is a big engine. I note their web site says 13 to 14 city slightly better on the highway. Most reliable truck out there right now.

My 07 F150 is starting to bite back a little and debating whats next.

I tow a boat a few times a week and I average 15.7 mpg. Mine is a 2015 with 5.7.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

The new tundras have advanced traction control so you really don’t need a locker on them.

Google Tundra TRAC

Do you know how I know you have never run in deep snow with a TRAC Tundra?

Throwing the brake at every wheel that is spinning means coming to a stop (stuck) in deep snow and heating the schit out of the rotors/pads.

Lockers are available in Toyos Tacos and in pretty much every domestic truck.

Tundra is long past needing a solid rear locker and a front locker would be icing on the cake.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I almost don't need 4WD with the locker on my F350. It's a gamechanger.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
A couple of my friends both leased tundras lately for super low lease payments. No money down and about $250 a month.

Bb

I tow a boat a few times a week and I average 15.7 mpg. Mine is a 2015 with 5.7.

I don’t know how that’s possible, I owned 3 different Tundras and 15.7 was a good day on the highway empty. It would drop to between 8-10 mpg with a 3500 lb boat hooked up. I got 4-5 mpg pulling a 8000 lb boat for 1000 miles from Florida to Texas all highway, doing at or under the speed limit.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

Bb

I don’t know how that’s possible, I owned 3 different Tundras and 15.7 was a good day on the highway empty. It would drop to between 8-10 mpg with a 3500 lb boat hooked up. I got 4-5 mpg pulling a 8000 lb boat for 1000 miles from Florida to Texas all highway, doing at or under the speed limit.

I’m not sure. I live at sea level, not sure if that matters. When my fuel gauge reads empty, I usually fit 22 gallons. If I run the whole tank on the freeway with no load, that will get 350-360 miles. If I towed my boat on the freeway for the whole tank, I come in at a few miles on each side of 300 miles on the tank. My boat tows at 3400 lbs or so.

Last edited by Gooch_McGrundle; 08/22/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 47 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,666
Posts18,474,725
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.