Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I use Lee dies pretty exclusively, especially the collet dies for neck sizing. I just started loading for an old Husky 30 06 and got a new set of dies. After the usually cleaning and polishing of the mandrel, I started resizing some fired cases. I quickly noticed the top of the neck was slightly flared out. Took the die apart and noticed the collet seemed to be a little to short causing the very to of the case mouth to not get fully resized. I spoke with Brenda at Lee and she said this was a intentional modification to "flare the case neck to allow easy and concentric seat of bullets". It was news to me!

I have always necked sized then spun the case 180 degrees and resized. Do the same thing halfway while seating; heard this helps concentricity. Not sure if it works but it's a habit now.

Anyone else seen or have a comment of this Lee 'improvement'?

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't see a problem, exactly, but it depends on the amount of the flare. I shoot mostly boattail bullets unless I'm shooting cast, and I bell the necks to seat them. I also collet-size and seat bullets using the same method you do. Sometimes I use three or for steps, depending on a few variables.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the answer I got when I asked. IDK if it helps, hurts, or neither as this was my first LCD purchase.

Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Stephanie W.
Staff - 04/21/2020 8:44 am

We have modified the Collet so a small portion of the neck protrudes through the end of the Collet-Sizing portion. This often-requested modification was implemented in 2019.

This change allows the portion of the neck that protrudes above the Collet to remain in its fire formed condition. This provides a natural flare to the case neck allowing easy and concentric seating of bullets. This is especially important when seating cast bullets or low drag coated bullets.

Noted author and cartridge designer M. L. McPherson has suggested this modification for years for its ease of use, better function and improved accuracy.

Sincerely,

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 County Road U
Hartford, WI 53027

Here's how much it protrudes.
Here's what it looks like with a case in the shell holder and the collet resting on the shell holder.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This is sure to help.I found out yesterday loading some Sierra Match Kings in .223. The 52 gr were boatails and no problem. The 53 gr were flat base.Sure was hard getting the flat base started into the seating dies and brass

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Here's the answer I got when I asked. IDK if it helps, hurts, or neither as this was my first LCD purchase.

Stephanie W.
Staff - 04/21/2020 8:44 am

We have modified the Collet so a small portion of the neck protrudes through the end of the Collet-Sizing portion. This often-requested modification was implemented in 2019.

This change allows the portion of the neck that protrudes above the Collet to remain in its fire formed condition. This provides a natural flare to the case neck allowing easy and concentric seating of bullets. This is especially important when seating cast bullets or low drag coated bullets.

Noted author and cartridge designer M. L. McPherson has suggested this modification for years for its ease of use, better function and improved accuracy.

Sincerely,

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 County Road U
Hartford, WI 53027

Here's how much it protrudes.
Here's what it looks like with a case in the shell holder and the collet resting on the shell holder.

[Linked Image]

That's cut n paste from my answer. Lee is an innovative company but you'd think they would have the sense to include that info with their die instructions!

IC B2

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
This is sure to help.I found out yesterday loading some Sierra Match Kings in .223. The 52 gr were boatails and no problem. The 53 gr were flat base.Sure was hard getting the flat base started into the seating dies and brass

Hey saddlesore. I sure have pinch my fingers before holding a flat based bullet on the case while raising the ram!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you use mathman's setup instructions, you obviously need to be below the flare while measuring.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very interesting. I am sure Lee did due diligence in researching the change. I am wondering if it will eventually cause chambering problems after a lot of firings with the same brass. Five, six....? Will the mouth get a split? How critical is having all of the brass trimmed to the same length

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't like change without notice.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

You were notified before buying any of the new design.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

You'll survive this one, my friend.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Interesting thread as I recently purchased a 30-06 collet die that will not seat bullets tight enough - to the point I can move them by hand.

I've used collet dies in my 7-08, .308's and .300 WM for years with no problems and have never encountered this issue. No matter how I adjust the 30-06 collet die, it will simply not hold the bullet tightly enough. Wonder if this flare issue is somehow related? Maybe a call to Lee....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're not getting enough tension from the rest of the neck to hold the bullet, the bit that's not squeezed ain't going to fix that. How many times have the cases been fired without annealing? What's the diameter of the mandrel?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would grind or polish it down to almost nothing. My thought on the collet die is to minimize any working of the brass, With a VLD type champfer tool no flair is needed.

Buckster: Either polish your mandrel down or get a smaller diameter from Lee. The flair will only aggravate the situation.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Backwards step by Lee

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

You were notified before buying any of the new design.

Yes, and thank you. I am only using vintage LCDs.... Until I don't.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hooray for Lee! Since about 2004 I've modified all my LCD this way. I shoot a lot of cast bullets and when modified there is no need of an extra die to flair the neck and they work with jacketed just as well. Now, I won't have to grind down the collet.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks like a good change to me. Might just replace my old LCD's.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Looks like a good change to me. Might just replace my old LCD's.

Or carefully grind the ones you have.

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Buckster
Interesting thread as I recently purchased a 30-06 collet die that will not seat bullets tight enough - to the point I can move them by hand.

I've used collet dies in my 7-08, .308's and .300 WM for years with no problems and have never encountered this issue. No matter how I adjust the 30-06 collet die, it will simply not hold the bullet tightly enough. Wonder if this flare issue is somehow related? Maybe a call to Lee....

Out of a half dozen different LCD's, only one standard diameter mandrel for one particular brand and lot of brass would provide enough neck tension to sufficiently hold a bullet for hunting ammo. I now have 4-5 mandrels for each LCD I own--standard, standard undersize, and ones I've sanded down to provide enough neck tension for the particular brand/lot of brass I'm using.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,218
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.