-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am visiting mom and dad at their lake home in Minnesota and am thinking about getting them an anchor for their 22' pontoon.

How big of an anchor do I need to hold this yacht?

The biggest I've found locally so far is 40 lbs.

Many thx for your time

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark,

I gotta believe 40 would be plenty. I'd actually be a bit concerned about my dad trying to pull up a 40 pound anchor with 5-10 lbs of weeds and muck on it. Might be better off to buy 2 twenty pounders and only use the second if conditions dictate it's need.

You raising any muskies yet? How's the weather over there;)

enjoy your vacation........Jeff

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jeff-twas hoping I'd hear from you, that is a good idea.

No Muskies yet, the lake is super busy this time of summer. The weather has been superb!

Many thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Having rented a couple for a while, I can tell you that twenty pound anchors will hold the boat just fine Mark, but what we gave out with rentals was a 20 pounder on the front and a ten pound for the back. The back anchor will keep the pontoon from moving in the wind and is easier for most folks to pull up over the sides of the pontoon without banging it against it. The tewnty will hold in all but the slickest of bottoms or a lot of wind. You can also put them both out off the front corners. We used a ball type on the back to keep from pulling a ton of weeds in the boat...The twenty was a good navy anchor with a long line...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've found you need 2 different kinds of anchors ,a soft bottom anchor ,which the folding anchors that dig in work good on, and hard bottm anchor ,like a mushroom . i have a minnkota deckhand elecrtic anchor

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on what the lake bottom is you might easily get by with a much lighter anchor if you can take advantage of a mechanical "bite" in the bottom. A 10# Danforth style would easily hold in a mud or sand bottom as would a claw type anchor. Of course, that method of anchoring means you need to "set" the anchor as well which means you need enough line to get a decent angle so the hook will bite. I guess you'd want to consider water depth when using a setting anchor. It should work great in a realtively shallow soft bottom though.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As important as the anchor weight is the chain above it which produces the low angle of attack that keeps the anchor on bottom.

I run a 60# Danforth with 60' of 3/8" chain. It has held my 35,000# boat in huge winds. But it also failed once in soft mud.

Kedges (stern anchors) are great for a lot of things, but require extreme care if you are actually using it for control in bad conditions. An anchor slipping a little and allowing the boat to turn sideways under the twin influences of main and kedge has sunk many a boat... I realize you are talking about safe little lakes without the big problems, but it is something to be aware of if you ever set a kedge. ALWAYS pull the kedge first!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 49 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.