-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm planning on hunting with a 1950 250 Sav this fall.
Would anyone have a recommendation for a factory ammo you've had good luck with?
Thanks in advance,
Ed

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Remington 100g Core-Lokt. Shoot well for me and I’ve read many others compliment them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Only you can determine what ammo will work in that gun. Buy a selection and try them. Trust me when I say they'll all work just fine for snuffing out deer.

Be forewarned though that vintage 99 has a slow-ish rate of rifling twist which may, or may not, stabilize modern 100 grain loads. It's a crapshoot- only one way to find out. We're it me, I would investigate the existence of 87 grain loads in the world of custom ammo makers- or better yet start loading your own like most of us do who love to explore the capabilities of this great old cartridge. If you just want to fire a couple shots and then go hunting another approach is to scrounge a box or two of vintage 87 grain factory ammo and call it a day.

I wonder how often Remington effected subtle changes to that vaunted 100 grain Corelokt bullet over these many decades. I doubt their primary concern is a bullet that suits 60+ year old Savages, and wouldn't assume that 2020 ammo is the same as the ammo that Uncle Bob has been proclaiming wonderful in his old EG since the day he drilled a deer through the ear hole with one in 1971.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
And if you can find some, Cabela`s had carried it, Hornady made some good stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ring3
Remington 100g Core-Lokt. Shoot well for me and I’ve read many others compliment them.

Best commercial option, because the pre-60 99s chambered In 250-300 Savage have a slow 1:14 barrel twist and the 100 gr core-lokts are the shortest 100 gr bullets, which provides the best chance for stablizing In your 99. Likely will not give “great” groups, but may suffice for your accuracy needs. All you can do is try them and see. Many of us reload for our pre-60 99s use the Speer 87 grain hot-cor bullet (shorter and stabilizes).

Last edited by KeithNyst; 09/18/20.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the information.
I do not reload, but I have a buddy that does. I'll get a set of dies, some brass, and some bullets and get him started. I do have some Remington to try.
I appreciate all the help!
Good hunting,
Ed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you decide to do I would not wait. Ammo, powder, primers, brass, bullets are flying off the shelves.

Graf and Son still has 100 gr Hornady and Remington ammo available. MidwayUSA is sold out.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hoarded for years, 250 ammo from Remington that had the OLD heavy jacket round nose bullets. They were short enough to stabilize in fast twist old Savages. I even found a box of bullets for reloading from the sixties. I was set for life. These older Cor-Loks really did have a heavy mid section and heavier jacket than the spitzers. Remington changed to just a cup and core bullet design in the early 70's. How they can advertise them as Cor Lock I have no idea. Anyway using the heavy jacketed round nose 100 grain Cor-Lok I pursued my first ever deer using these bullets, (not my first deer, that ship sailed 55 years ago). Using 1960's vintage factory ammo and above mentioned bullet I went to fill my mule deer doe tag. Quartering towards me a mid size doe was 110 yards away. Putting the bead behind the shoulder the doe raced off at the shot and joined the rest of the herd. Getting onto private property I had to abandon the chase and find the landowner. With his permission I went to find my deer. A half an hour later and with good field glasses I found a doe in the herd that had a wet spot behind the shoulder. I took another shot and put a bullet through both shoulders and she was down. Upon gutting her I found what was left of the renowned deadliest mushroom bullet had come completely apart and the jacket was all that was left after impacting no bone and traveling through one lung and stopping in the stomach. Poor poor performance. I will never shoot another at a head of game larger than a coyote. Next I will try the OLD Winchester Silvertips that a hard silver jacket that extended to the base of the bullet unlike today that are nothing more than an aluminum cap over just the tip of the bullet.

Last edited by stuvwxyz; 09/18/20.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Thank you for the information.
I do not reload, but I have a buddy that does. I'll get a set of dies, some brass, and some bullets and get him started. I do have some Remington to try.
I appreciate all the help!
Good hunting,
Ed

I have found that the three brands of .250-3000 ammo that I have, Remington, Winchester and Imperial, all shoot to nearly the same point of impact and close to the same accuracy.
If I had to choose a "most accurate" in the .250's I own, I guess it would be Remington 100 Core-Lokt.

If you're going to have your friend handload for you, the most accurate 100-grain bullets I've used in 99's are the Speer 100 flat base, the Sierra 100 flat base, and the Remington 100-grain Core-Lokt.
My best success with powders for accuracy, with good velocity as well, are Reloder 15 and Vihtavuori N140. H4895 is the favourite of a lot of shooters; I haven't tried it but certainly would.
Best of luck!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks again for all the valuable information!
I appreciate it.
Good shooting,
Ed

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget the Winchester 100 grain Silver Tips

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Are Winchesters typically available?
Or, do I need to watch the resale market?
Thanks!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (akrange, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, Alan_C, 15 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,891
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.