Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Still no news on the wyo and colo guys?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The first time I went deep in the Cumberland mountains hunting I leaned a lesson about how easy it is to lose you way around. Naturally, the mountains have numerous small streams running down them. You can follow a stream down, but you can't follow it back up,...because along the way there are a bunch of small streams flowing into it. Unless you have a *very* good memory, you're not going to know which fork to follow on the return trip. It didn't occur to me when I was going down the stream. But it became very apparent once I started making my way back up.

It didn't turn into an emergency situation but I was glad when I saw familiar territory again.

I went back several times over the next few years but I always took a compass and a small topo map of the area.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My backpack always includes a tube tent, space bag/blankets, 2 lighters, starter wood, and a dinky hand torch.

Note: 2 space blankets work better than a space sleeping bag. Water in the bag at end of night...

Take 3 space blankets.......lean-to if needed.

Also......maps and compass.

Never been lost......yet.

Hate it when stupid hurts.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
My backpack always includes a tube tent, space bag/blankets, 2 lighters, starter wood, and a dinky hand torch.

Note: 2 space blankets work better than a space sleeping bag. Water in the bag at end of night...

I doubt any of that would have helped him with his heart attack...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there a reward?

Heading out west this next week.

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Still no news on the wyo and colo guys?

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An improved diet may have.......

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Theeck
It's a shame but when my time comes, I'd rather it be something like this than in a nursing home.

Amen

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
elk huntin north of aspen in 89 or 90 had a group of hunters supposedly from texas come in late.,1 guy got turned around and just set down a gave up ,they had fixed wings and choppers burnin that mt. up for 2 days ,luckily we were almost all tagged out in our group.
anyway they found him not over 200 yds from a loggin road where he went in.alive but never moved from that spot

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hunted this area for years. Been in complete whiteouts during elk season several times. The Uintas can be decieving. Plenty of open ground but rough terrain is never far and it is high altitude. Alot of people fly here from low altitudes drive up there and step out of a car and they are at 9000 feet on day one. They wander around the open areas and do ok but when the terrain gets steep it hits them.

Had a pair of hunters from our camp go lost and did not find them till 2am one year. One was from out of state the other was one of the most experienced hunters I know. They got down in a bowl with lots of blow downs and it got late and slow going with flashlights in the dark. It can happen to the best of us.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't think I'd agree to let an elderly hunter in my group hunt alone. Something allot of hunters that go out west don't realize is how taxing it is on us at just above sea level to travel there and hunt at high altitude and have to deal with walking in snow. It's not long and you're worn out. In this mans case it killed him. Had he gad someone with him things might not have went this way.

He looked like a kind person. Sorry for his death and for the sadness brought to his family and friends.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An improved diet may have.......

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Lots of routes to compromised health. Plenty of them do not deserve judging a dead man over...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is low.

Two months after Crumrine went missing, someone pulled what authorities called a cruel stunt on an already grieving family — they sent messages on social media posing as Carl.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still beats dying in a hospital bed.

Originally Posted by SBTCO

"Crumrine’s remains were found about a mile from where he and his group had been camping, according to Thursday's news release."

There was a guy from the Flathead elk hunting who went missing and the S&R spent a few weeks looking all over hell until someone went back over an area already searched and found his body sitting next to a pine tree, compound bow at his side, apparent heart attack. He was about a mile from his truck too.

This... And it happened to me in Colorado in 84. Got turned around in a snow storm. Just planted my azz and built a fire. Truck pulled up around 10 PM and found my Nimrod azz

Coyotes shot no waiting.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Well he died with his boots on. That beats the hell out of a nursing home, diaper, and CV-19.

I'm glad his family has closure.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You don't have to be old to have a heart attack either. Had my first at 45 - bad genetics. I hoofed it up and down mountains, weight lifted, etc. when I was younger and never thought I would have a heart attack. Glad they found him.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I remember hearing about this. Glad he was finally found.

There's a still a guy I (vaguely) knew who's missing in SW Wyoming, for two years now. Hopefully he'll be found one day too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While we were I n Colorado a Ks guy died of a heart attack after killing a tremendous bull. He was gone for 3 days when they found him .9 miles away from camp. He was walking back with just his bow and pack and fell over dead. He was 58. They found the bull and all the meat hung in a tree about 2 miles from where they found him. His camp was the one that I was gonna have to go for help when me and my friend had our mule wreck with the sheep herders guard dogs. I got 16 stitches in my head and my buddy had 8 broken ribs, a collapsed lung and bleeding around his lungs.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I was hoping somebody would find Alvie Webb this season. Don't believe it will happen. Snow soon.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We used to always hear about Boy Scouts getting lost in the Uintas. Seems like almost every year for a while they were forming search parties and looking for a lost scout.

My uncle used to tell me stories of old Spanish gold mines in those mountains. He said a Spanish breastplate from the 1500-1600's was found around moon lake somewhere.

He said one day he would pass me some important information on the area. He said he was supposed to select one family member to pass it to and that when I was older I'd have to pass it on.

His family called me one day a few years ago and said he was really sick and in the hospital and wanted to see me right away. After a 4 hour drive I got there and they said he had lost consciousness a few hours earlier and that he was basically in a coma and they couldn't wake him. I walked in the room and tried talking to him and he woke and reached for me and started mumbling something almost in a panic. None of us could understand what he said. He then lost consciousness and died.

Still troubles me that we couldn't understand what he said. He seemed so desperate to tell me something. His wife and his 6 kids were there and none of us have a clue what he was saying.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 10/09/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,822 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,314
Posts18,505,604
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.