-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 3 of the McM Compact style stocks and agree with you on the shallow radius, open, pistol grip.

I prefer the tighter radius, closed, pistol grip geometry on the McM Mountain Rifle and the McM Hunter style stocks.

1 of the McM Compact is on a 700 SA and the other 2 are on Winchester/USRA 70 WSSMs, as the Compact is the only style of McM stock that seem to be physically in sync with the shorter WSSM actions as it doesn't overwhelm them. Or at least that is why I bought those stocks for 2 of my 70 WSSMs.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TomM1

Top one is a South Carolina Fwt in 270 Win in a edge fill micky. Picked up off the classifieds here. I bedded it at the lug, straightened the barrel channel to even the gaps for floating, applied some paint on the inside. With Talley Lightweights (soon to be Dual Dovetails) and the Burris 3-9 it goes 7lb, 6 oz. It was a touch lighter prior to bedding and paint. Balance is right about the front action screw.

Bottom one is a stock Winlite 30-06. I had a 280 winlite years ago and despite it being about perfect, I foolishly sold it. The one above provided some much needed grieving until I located this one. It is also bedded at the lug, weighs 7 lbs 11 oz with burris 3-9 and Leupold Dual dovetail lows (best scope mounting system for a hunting rifle IMO). Same balance point as the one above, best as I can tell.

If had one I wanted stocked today, I would seek a used winlite as they are a good bit cheaper and IMO superior quality to what I see today. They are especially dense without adding much more weight than an edge fill. If I did order one from McMillan new. I would definitely pony up for an edge fill as the lighter stock shifts the balance out in front where the skinny featherweight barrel needs as much help as it can get. I would also omit the standard pachmayr pad for something lighter, again to help on the balance aspect. Balance on wood stocked featherweights is hit or miss, usually miss depending on the wood. A good quality, lightweight synthetic really makes them come alive (that was hard for me to say still being a big fan of wood).

[Linked Image]

How is the feel of the McMs as compared to the wood stocks? I like the nice slim wrist on the factory walnut.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
To me it feels much slimmer than the BACO featherweights, which seem to have grown in comparison to the early New Haven XTR guns. In comparison to a New Haven, the Micky’s are still slimmer, but not by as much. The only wood one I have is a Pre-64 or I would put a tape around the wrists and compare.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks! I plan on ordering one, but didn't want a big fat wrist. I do wish they had the factory checkering patter, and I don't care for the pattern they use, so I will have mine filled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It’s extra to have them filled, another reason I like the winlite. I prefer no checkering.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not a big issue, given the cost of the whole package. If I could find a Winlite cheap I'd buy it. I would have to have it inletted for One Piece bottom metal though.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hard to beat a Hunter’s Edge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Jackalope
Hard to beat a Hunter’s Edge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I like that one, looks good with the stainless

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
After chatting with them, I'm leaning McMillan. I'm a little surprised that they say no need to glass bed for hunting purposes. It's probably true but most places won't come right out and say things like that to cover their butts. Now the question is which rifle? I started the research process for a FWT 6.5, but learned they also make one for a roundtop Ruger with tang safety. That's mighty tempting...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Hunters EDGE, Legend and Bridges pattern stocks on Model 70’s work real well for me.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I’ll snag a picture of the Bridges shortly.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 280fan, 2500HD, 22magnut, 257 mag, 43 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,564
Posts18,510,686
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.