Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Not sure the direction this will go but I am going to ask some questions and hoping the seasoned elk hunters can chime in.

My buddy and I normally do a deer trip each year to Canada. We have decided to start focusing on western states instead for 2021. I am going to list the info needed for someone to make a suggestion what we should do.

Both of us are in the late 50's
Decent shape but would need to really work on this.
Seasoned deer hunters
Have hunted the Western Mts.
I have taken a 6 x 6 bull on a guided hunt in MT.
Might be able to take my adult sons
Considering maybe a drop camp?
I have 9 points for WY elk and 1 for deer.
partner only has 2 points for WY elk.
I don't want to waste my points
Can't afford a $5000 hunt
Willing to buy camp equipment
Do have atv's
Would be willing to rent pack mules.
Me personally any elk would be fine
Would even like a cow elk and a buck deer hunt combo.

Knowing these things where and where would you hunt (rifle)

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Grizz and wolves a concern ?
For Wyoming :
You could do a general elk tag for your friend, cow tag for you and maybe cow tags for your sons. Some areas mules would be handy, some not needed.
We have some general elk areas with cow tags available .

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In the are's I have hunted, "western" Wyoming ATV's are primarily limited to existing roads. In the last two years, we have never unloaded ours. You have to apply in January so you need to move fast. "Go Hunt" is a great reference for good units and areas to concentrate on. You and your friend should apply as a 'party" that evens out the points and you can 'WILL DRAW' a general elk tag. Look for areas that offer "reduced price, cow calf tags for the other hunters" so that everyone has a good chance of getting a tag. We hunt from our roadside camp every year, and our successful. An early snow can move the elk. Preference points for deer and elk are seperate, you most likely will not draw a general deer tag. Deer season and elk season do not overlap in most areas. PM me for other questions, I have been hunting there as a non-resident for several years.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I screwed up and lost 8 deer preference points. I thought I bought them last year but apparently I forgot. Lost 8 years of points which sucks. Just like a racket to collect extra funds for the state. I like Iowa, they don't ever go away.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by elkmen1
In the are's I have hunted, "western" Wyoming ATV's are primarily limited to existing roads. In the last two years, we have never unloaded ours. You have to apply in January so you need to move fast. "Go Hunt" is a great reference for good units and areas to concentrate on. You and your friend should apply as a 'party" that evens out the points and you can 'WILL DRAW' a general elk tag. Look for areas that offer "reduced price, cow calf tags for the other hunters" so that everyone has a good chance of getting a tag. We hunt from our roadside camp every year, and our successful. An early snow can move the elk. Preference points for deer and elk are seperate, you most likely will not draw a general deer tag. Deer season and elk season do not overlap in most areas. PM me for other questions, I have been hunting there as a non-resident for several years.

I can add whatever elk Elkmen1 doesn't as well. I am pretty sure we're running on the same track and have been doing what you wanna do for a few years now.

Semper Fi
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks guys, riding with my partner to Missouri the end of the week. We will talk and see what the plans for next year are.
Looks like I have a daughter getting married next Nov. 6. She has a way of messing with my hunting, born Nov 19th. Our opening day rifle is Nov 15th.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Kingfisher, most elk units in Wyoming open on the 15th of October.

Last edited by elkmen1; 10/29/20.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The place to hunt then is Iowa!!! Great mule deer hunting I hear...

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by kingfisher
Thanks guys, riding with my partner to Missouri the end of the week. We will talk and see what the plans for next year are.
Looks like I have a daughter getting married next Nov. 6. She has a way of messing with my hunting, born Nov 19th. Our opening day rifle is Nov 15th.

Your future Son-in-Law deserves a thorough arse-chewing for allowing that manner of fiasco to rule his falls for the rest of his days. Unless your daughter is a hunter and their plan is to hunt on their anniversary every year.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1badf350, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 45 invisible), 3,494 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,725
Posts18,535,020
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.