Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Ophir pass was plenty for me, similar to flying in a small plane.

Tks for the memory jog, rode that one in ‘95 on my Beemer R100GS/PD. I think these things are much less of a big deal on a motorcycle.

Yeah a good lighter weight trail bike can zip along on those passes...I wouldnt want a big heavy bike, because you could inevitably hit a rock wrong and take a spill or a few spills and I would imagine getting a heavy bike back up off the ground at that elevation would suck...There is a lot of youtube videos with dudes on trail bikes riding all the passes around Telluride, Imogene, Black Bear, Cinammon, Engineer, etc...

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

That crumpled heap would make some interesting yard art.

Nice tires. The preview said nothing about the driver.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like the Jeep was stopped on the trail and the driver wasn’t even in it.

“One such accident occurred over the weekend on Oct. 10. A woman and two dogs were in the red Jeep Wrangler pictured below, waiting for the driver to return from helping another car when it slid off the trail, ejecting her while rolling several times. While the vehicle was almost completely destroyed the female passenger survived, albeit with serious injuries. One of the two dogs is also reported missing, while the other is ok.”

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Wtf did George Lucas produce the opening?

On a hill....far far away......

Scrolling

Scrolling

Scrolling

LOL

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Id like to see a video or pics of the guys that built that trail. Its one thing to drive it in a jeep, it seems to me a lot different thing to be on the dozer on the bare mountain, scratching that trail out.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to run the jeeps back in a strip mine near my home in Ohio. There was one trail with a narrow spot right next to a strip pit lake. I'd been across that trail many times. It was tight, but I never thought I was in any danger. A kid got too close to the edge and rolled his jeep into the lake. He didn't make it. The lake was 140 feet deep at that spot.

Last edited by gophergunner; 10/23/20.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Ophir pass was plenty for me, similar to flying in a small plane.

Tks for the memory jog, rode that one in ‘95 on my Beemer R100GS/PD. I think these things are much less of a big deal on a motorcycle.

Yeah a good lighter weight trail bike can zip along on those passes...I wouldnt want a big heavy bike, because you could inevitably hit a rock wrong and take a spill or a few spills and I would imagine getting a heavy bike back up off the ground at that elevation would suck...There is a lot of youtube videos with dudes on trail bikes riding all the passes around Telluride, Imogene, Black Bear, Cinammon, Engineer, etc...

It’s been a long time but IIRC the only difficult section was at the very top. My R100 weren’t all that heavy, my buddy did it on his next-generation Oilhead R1100 (??) gs, taller and heavier than mine.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You get old you sometimes forget things you wouldn't do again . In 1971 I rode my motorcycle thru Glacier National Park and out over the "Going to the Sun" highway. Last year in 2019 I took my daughter on a road trip thru Montana in my long wheel base f'-150 we went thru Glacier and out over to the "Going to the Sun highway" I only had to tell her once not to distract me. At one pull over she made the comment that she didn't think I was seeing much of the scenery, As a 20 year vet of the SDDOT I told her I was seeing plenty but was mostly inspecting the quality of the yellow paint on the centerline. It's no place to be gawking like a effing tourist either when behind the wheel. The other drivers up there scared me more than the road.
If I was that guy in the red jeeps insurance agent I'd tell him he was fuc*ed. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My buddy drove me over that highway last year, packed like rush hour. The biggest worry was driving about 6” away from the uphill cliff walls on the right.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel
There's youtube videos of dudes going down Black Bear in full size trucks like Ford F250's. It's pretty bad at the top of the pass on the "steps", the rest of it is a pretty good road down except for the steepness/ exposure. It's only a one way road...I've been on roads in Arizona as narrow and steep as that in my full size truck in places that were 2 way roads. That will make your butt really pucker when you can't see if someone is coming around the next curve right at you...

Been there. On a fire road. Some guy from out of state comes roaring down the mountain as i'm making a curve to the left. He corrected into the mountain and my tire track was about 6 inches from going over the edge.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
wow. that's enough to make a fellow shart his pants.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tikkanut

here's another recent one...FF to 19 minutes or so.......

Glad to see the recue crew guy was wearing a face mask out there. Smart. And who says all that legal dope in Colorado isn't good for the brain crazy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Didn’t C.W. McCall already warn every to avoid the Black Bear Road back in the early 1970’s?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tozRmtD_gsU

Sorry if already posted.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

>>>>>>>>>>> grin<<<<<<<<<<<

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Cross. I totally forgot about that song. I guess at the time it came out I had no idea what black bear pass was. I did drive Wolf Creek pass both old and new. I found out Pagosa Springs is nowhere near the bottom of the pass, but about 20 miles away.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the 90s, during a time of my life I didn't much care what happened to me I was ferrying a 3/4-ton Chevy 4WD from El Paso to Blackfoot, Idaho for my uncle. It was midwinter. When I got up into Colorado on I-25 I looked at a map and decided I wanted to take a more scenic route than I-25 all the way to Cheyenne, so I took a more westerly route somewhere around Pueblo. It was about 9 PM beginning to snow, but I was not going to be deterred.

To this day I could not tell you just exactly what route I took, but I found myself up in the ski country. I can't recall which resort it was but I remember going through a well-known little town, and everything had been shut down. I kept going.

Soon I came to a barricade that said "ROAD CLOSED," but I decided that rather than turn around I would just keep on going. By now I was driving in snow about six inches deep. The further I went, the narrower the road got and the deeper the snow got...it was not long before I realized I would never be able to turn around and come back down the mountainside I was traversing. I remember looking off to my right at an absolute abyss, and I stuck to that route until I finally encountered well traveled roads again. I obviously had no idea what the hell I was doing, taking that route during snow storms...but I didn't much care one way or the other in those days.

I shudder thinking of some of the risks I used to take.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (1lesfox, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 21, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,080
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.