B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by deflave
Here is an old pic of Gruff and I hunting with my bird dog:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Do you think he ever said anything nice about my dog?

No. Only hate.

Happier times....

Was a fun afternoon. Before he left me for Haiti.

MAGA
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by pdXammo
Thing about Mals is they are "soft" dogs. Labs are "hard" dogs. You can kick a lab around all you want and it'll still love you and obey. Your a real dick if you do but, it'l work. Mals are sensitive and will suffer. The best results come through games and play. Coercives have a place but, arenot the primary motivator. They are superstitous too. You can ruin one with a bad interaction.

This is the way it is with Chessies as well. That's one reason labs are so popular with the hunt test/field trial crowd. As with a Chessie, you have to work WITH the dog. These two breeds are not pack-oriented. They're independent thinkers. The first rule of dog training is, "You need to be smarter than the dog." Thus, a lot of people can train labs and GSD's...not so many Mals or Chessies.

Actually, Labradors are much higher on the intelligence scale than both Malanois and Chesapeakes. In the four years I've had my Lab (with me pretty much 24/7) he has picked up so much language that I think he could speak simple sentences if he had the proper vocalization tools.

I've never made any attempt to teach him any words. He just picks up on them,..and very quickly if it's something that he's particularly interested in. He's also very tuned into body language.

He's a full member of our pack and he knows what the pack is doing or getting ready to do at all times.

I don't put much stock in these "dog intelligence scales." As far as picking up vocabulary, most dogs can pick up about 20 words used with them regularly. Hell, my wife's little papillons know what we're talking about all the time. We've gotten to spelling some words around them and they've figured out a few of those. I swear, also, they try their damnedest to try to speak. That's got nothing to do, however, with how well a working dog can do a job with a minimal level of direction. That's where the malinois and the chesapeake have got it all over pack-oriented breeds like labs. My son was assigned a malinois for a while and, while I never saw that dog, I did participate in some training exercises with him and some of his coworkers, one of whom had a malinois. The dog had obvious critical thinking skills. Another area where superior critical thinking skills in a breed really show up is in doing blind retrieves. Labs do well in hunt test blinds where they can be whistled and signaled in by the handler (who knows where the bird is.) In a real hunting situation, where a bird has gone down in heavy cover and once you send the dog you can't see him, much less give him any direction, my chessie will eventually come out with the bird. The dog knows enough to run a pattern and will keep at it until he finds it. That's not something you can train into the dog, they've either got it or they haven't. In my experience, labs don't tend to have it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Here is an old pic of Gruff and I hunting with my bird dog:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Do you think he ever said anything nice about my dog?

No. Only hate.

Happier times....

Was a fun afternoon. Before he left me for Haiti.

How you gonna keep em on the farm once they've seen Carl Hungus?

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll add another possible. A Black Russian Terrier, google one. Probably not what you think unless you know them. Very protective and not aggressive. I've had Doberman's GSD and others. Mals are high energy and need a job or they are not happy. Very high prey drive as well. The BRT has a very low prey drive, will not chase things or people. They draw a line and if something crosses it.... Dreading the day Layla passes, she is almost nine now. and ten or eleven is the norm.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
You guys should be watching the NFL instead of arguing about dogs.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
These threads are almost as bad as trucks or chainsaws. We all have a favorite I suppose.
I got a Female Rottweiler for my wife back when I traveled for work and she was left home alone. It was an absolutely fantastic dog. She got cancer in the spine at 6 1/2 and having been so good my wife chose a male Rott to take her place. It was awful, and as it matured showed signs of inbreeding. AKC papers or not it was inbred. I've had a bull headed Chessy, a lazy poop eating lab that cost twice as much as much as some better dogs. GSP's are great pets if you have a real yard and can throw a ball a million times before taking them out for training or hunting sessions.

We currently have a papered GS that's very intelligent and well mannered but a handful, at two years old. It's our sons and she's with us until he returns from deployment. We have a GS/BM female that has been ok but not as high energy as has been indicated. She's a good watch dog, easy to train, but she's getting weak in the hips at 7yrs.

Our mix mutt is a GS/ McNabb cross and she's not going to be easy to replace. She's smart, protective, and probably the most aggressive of the three when it comes to strangers.

I believe regardless of "breed", it's most important to get one that isn't inbred for the purpose of having it look like an AKC champ, and has the demeanor that you can handle.

Were I shopping for one right now I would probably consider a Rotty or a Kengal.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thing about Mals is they are "soft" dogs. Labs are "hard" dogs. You can kick a lab around all you want and it'll still love you and obey. Your a real dick if you do but, it'l work. Mals are sensitive and will suffer. The best results come through games and play. Coercives have a place but, arenot the primary motivator. They are superstitous too. You can ruin one with a bad interaction.

This is the way it is with Chessies as well. That's one reason labs are so popular with the hunt test/field trial crowd. As with a Chessie, you have to work WITH the dog. These two breeds are not pack-oriented. They're independent thinkers. The first rule of dog training is, "You need to be smarter than the dog." Thus, a lot of people can train labs and GSD's...not so many Mals or Chessies.

Actually, Labradors are much higher on the intelligence scale than both Malanois and Chesapeakes. In the four years I've had my Lab (with me pretty much 24/7) he has picked up so much language that I think he could speak simple sentences if he had the proper vocalization tools.

I've never made any attempt to teach him any words. He just picks up on them,..and very quickly if it's something that he's particularly interested in. He's also very tuned into body language.

He's a full member of our pack and he knows what the pack is doing or getting ready to do at all times.

I don't put much stock in these "dog intelligence scales." As far as picking up vocabulary, most dogs can pick up about 20 words used with them regularly. Hell, my wife's little papillons know what we're talking about all the time. We've gotten to spelling some words around them and they've figured out a few of those. I swear, also, they try their damnedest to try to speak. That's got nothing to do, however, with how well a working dog can do a job with a minimal level of direction. That's where the malinois and the chesapeake have got it all over pack-oriented breeds like labs. My son was assigned a malinois for a while and, while I never saw that dog, I did participate in some training exercises with him and some of his coworkers, one of whom had a malinois. The dog had obvious critical thinking skills. Another area where superior critical thinking skills in a breed really show up is in doing blind retrieves. Labs do well in hunt test blinds where they can be whistled and signaled in by the handler (who knows where the bird is.) In a real hunting situation, where a bird has gone down in heavy cover and once you send the dog you can't see him, much less give him any direction, my chessie will eventually come out with the bird. The dog knows enough to run a pattern and will keep at it until he finds it. That's not something you can train into the dog, they've either got it or they haven't. In my experience, labs don't tend to have it.

A sure fire way to determine if somebody knows anything about dogs is to listen to them opine about "intelligence" levels of varying breeds.

They're fugking dogs.

They either have inherent characteristics and traits that the owner requires for specific tasks, or they don't. Those characteristics and traits can be diminished or enhanced based on training, but they can never be instilled or removed.

There is no "intelligent" dog.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by duck9ll
You guys should be watching the NFL instead of arguing about dogs.

Howdy, ya liberal puke

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Labs find it, point it, retrieve it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Neighbor across the street “fostered” a “shepadoodle” (for a soldier who was leaving the country for 6 months). German shepherd/poodle cross. He loved the thing so much, he just got one of his own from way up in Pennsylvania.

They’re kinda shaggy looking, but they don’t shed much. (Maybe not enough of that German Shepherd look for you).

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

A sure fire way to determine if somebody knows anything about dogs is to listen to them opine about "intelligence" levels of varying breeds.

They're fugking dogs.

They either have inherent characteristics and traits that the owner requires for specific tasks, or they don't. Those characteristics and traits can be diminished or enhanced based on training, but they can never be instilled or removed.

Sometimes one of those traits sought after is the ability to adjust fire and problem solve outside of a human's commands. If that's not intelligence I don't know what is.

You're just lying to yourself because your dog was retarded and you think everyone else's is too. wink

MAGA
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

They're fugking dogs.

Possibly, but some are a whole lot more stupid than others.

Ever try to teach an afghan hound........anything?
On the other hand border collies are well known as easy to train.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Anyone who has a Labrador and hasn't noticed that they can think isn't very observant.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anyone who has a Labrador and hasn't noticed that they can think isn't very observant.

I used to think my 2wd V6 1500 was badass too. Then I realized it is, but not in the way I thought it was. wink

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Sometimes one of those traits sought after is the ability to adjust fire and problem solve outside of a human's commands. If that's not intelligence I don't know what is.

You're just lying to yourself because your dog was retarded and you think everyone else's is too. wink

Says the guy that buys dogs so he has something to cuddle with.

LOL

What was the name of that blimp that was always growling and snapping at people before it finally fugkin' died?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Oh for fugk sake.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

I used to think my 2wd V6 1500 was badass too. Then I realized it is, but not in the way I thought it was. wink

At first glance, you comment doesn't appear to have schitt to do with anything being discussed in this thread.

But that happens on here quite a bit.

"Labs can think"

"Oh yeah?,..2wd V6 1500!"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

At first glance, you comment doesn't appear to have schitt to do with anything being discussed in this thread.

But that happens on here quite a bit.

"Labs can think"

"Oh yeah?,..2wd V6 1500!"

People "think."

Dogs do what they do.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Say "company's coming" to my dog, he spins in a circle then goes to watch out the window. That's not instinct. Dog's aren't bred with an instinct to wait for visitors when they're told that someone is coming.

That's just one example.

Most dogs exhibit the ability to think, of course. They're not just hollow headed bags of instinct.

Pretty much everybody who has dogs knows that.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Say "company's coming" to my dog, he spins in a circle then goes to watch out the window. That's not instinct. Dog's aren't bred with an instinct to wait for visitors when they're told that someone is coming.

That's just one example.

He is honed in on the things you and your wife do before people visit and he's excited about it.

It's a learned behavior.

He is not "thinking."

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (1lesfox, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 35 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,208
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.