-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was about to start putting one on my 1974 gun tonight and it's not a straight forward screw-on. There's an adapter piece that needs to be drilled and tapped for.

It seems as if the tang sight might interfere with carrying the gun when it's folded down. And I thought it might also interfere with (read mash up) the web between the thumb and trigger finger.

Anyway, before I drilled, I stopped and figured that I should ask if any of you guys have any experience with this setup.

I guess I could go with a receiver mounted sight or even something that mounts in the rear scope mount holes, but I like the look of the older style tang sight, plus when folded down I can still use the rear dovetail sight which will fold up.

All comments welcomed,

Thanks, Rob

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rob,
I am new to this forum,I have not mounted a Lyman tang sight on a Marlin but I have drilled and mounted three on Winchester M-94's. It is pretty easy to do but the forward screw is an odd size and only Bownells had the correct tap.
One installation was good for windage the other two required shimming with paper strips to center the the point of impact.

I do not find the tang bothering me when carrying the rifle but when using the open sight with the tang folded down it does get in the way. Mine are on .30-30's and a .30-30 Improved. Recoil is not a problem with the sight folded down.
From the bench when shooting with the tang sight it will tap your glasses occasionaly. I have not shot them looking uphill while standing but I think they would tap your glasses there too. I would not install a tang sight on a hard kicking rifle. I think the standard reciever sight is much more practical. The Lyman reciever sight removes easily with a push button for open sight use.

Slim
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
West Texas Slim,

Thanks for the reply. I came to the same conclusion you did and am going with the Lyman reciver sight and a folding dovetail sight. Seems much safer, more accurate and more versatile. And no searching out odd tap sizes.

Thanks for help.

Recoil Rob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rob,

Check the Brownells or Marbles web sight and look at the Marbles flat top folding sight with windage. A good rugged sight at a reasonable price.

Slim
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Slim, great minds think alike! That's excactly the sight I have on it, thanks for the help.
I may take the folding buckhorn that was on the gun and "old" it up a bit to use on a 1915 Savage 1899 I have. It came with a Marbles Flex Joint Tang peep and the rear dovetail filled with a blank. Figure the folding rear makes it more versatile.

Thanks, RR

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 204guy, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,861
Posts18,497,178
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.