Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have enough RL 26 to load 16 or 17 rounds of .280 Rem., and after that time I have no clue about where to find more. Is this a somewhat temporary shortage, and any idea of when it will become available? I know there are other propellants out there, and I have used IMR 4350 and RL19 in the past, but the accuracy and velocity I have been getting with 26 and a 150 gr. Hornady ELD-X bullet is just excellent.
If anyone knows of a source out there somewhere for sale, I would like to hear about it! thanks.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d like to find some as well. I’ve used RL-22 in my .280 with 150 ELD-Xs and I’m not too happy with the results. I saw some back in August and should have grabbed a pound of it then.

Last edited by Hudge; 10/22/20.
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yesterday, I took my .280 to the range to check zero before my deer season opens on the 23rd. I typically check my rifles' zeroes at the 300 yard range, shooting at the small, 8" gongs.
After a fouler, I shot two rounds of the 150 gr. ELD-X's, both of which rang the gong. When I checked out the hits, it looked like only one strike. Closer inspection showed that in fact, both bullets had impacted very closely together. I could have just packed up and went home, but couldn't resist a couple more shots. The strikes were on top of the original two hits, giving a 4-shot group at 300 yards of well inside an inch.
Hence my desire to find some more RL 26!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve seen it in two LGS, but it’s been quite a while at one, and August or so at one. If I see it again, I will not pass it up next time.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have called Alliant twice since March and the availability of RL26 was one of my questions. Both times the answer was "We're working on it". The second time I pressed a bit and asked if the it was being manufactured? Being shipped? In the que? The answer this summer was "We're talking to the manufacturer". Not very encouraging, I got the feeling it may be a while still. Hopefully I'm wrong and it'll show up next week.........

I have not seen any RL26 for sale in about a year now. I'm about to open my last 8 lb jug.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We had about 10 single 1 pounders delivered at our Local BiMart here in Southern Oregon this past week...
a week later they still haven't sold any... the locals have no clue what it is...

Last time they had some in, one guy was busy telling another of how great it worked in 223s....
gives an example of how clueless some of our locals can be on such subjects....

If you guys were here in Oregon, I'd pick ya up some...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to our LGS/reloading store last Friday. I’m always looking for powder between two different places. I asked the one store when they would get powder in and he said Tuesday or Thursday of this week. I asked if he has any RL22,26, or 19 coming in, he said they can’t get any Alliant powders for the foreseeable future.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I always buy the heck out of supplies when a run starts, therefore I have a keg of RL19, RL22, and one of RL26, I've actually not even opened the one of RL26. I have between 130 and 150 pounds of powder and almost 20k primers and probably 15k loaded rounds in my reloading room.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might try Ramshot Hunter.The burn rate is similar to Reloader 19.I've had really good luck with it in my 30-06's and started using it in my 300 Win Mag too.Another powder they sell that has a burn rate similar to H-1000 is Magnum.I've had good luck with that one too.My new favorite for my 30-06's is there Big Game powder.It's just a little faster burn rate than the 4350 powders.Accurate 4350 might work for you too.It's as good or better than the other brands of 4350's.Ramshot powders are often overlooked,but they have become some of my favorite powders I use.
https://www.ramshot.com/load-data/

Last edited by baldhunter; 11/02/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jstevens
I always buy the heck out of supplies when a run starts, therefore I have a keg of RL19, RL22, and one of RL26, I've actually not even opened the one of RL26. I have between 130 and 150 pounds of powder and almost 20k primers and probably 15k loaded rounds in my reloading room.

Gee,I thought I was bad.Lol.........I have a lot of components but I don't really keep a lot of ammo on hand.I recently had some powder that was recalled.I had been shooting it and it was fine,but when the powder went bad,it went bad quick.Container started sweating on the outside and a cloud of harsh dust came out when I opened the container.The liquid that formed around the lid burned my skin,turned it yellow and it took about a week to clear up. I thought I had pulled all the ammo that was loaded with that powder,but when I went to the range,I found three that I missed.I had shot some from that same batch a couple of months before and they shot great with really good groups.I shot just one and it showed extreme high pressure signs with a stiff bolt lift and smeared headstamp on the brass.That is the one and only time I ever experienced powder going bad.I have some powder that is probably 30yrs old or so and it's still good.Just something to think about.When I load ammo for hunting anymore,I usually use once fired brass for those and range test it before I go.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Yesterday, I took my .280 to the range to check zero before my deer season opens on the 23rd. I typically check my rifles' zeroes at the 300 yard range, shooting at the small, 8" gongs.
After a fouler, I shot two rounds of the 150 gr. ELD-X's, both of which rang the gong. When I checked out the hits, it looked like only one strike. Closer inspection showed that in fact, both bullets had impacted very closely together. I could have just packed up and went home, but couldn't resist a couple more shots. The strikes were on top of the original two hits, giving a 4-shot group at 300 yards of well inside an inch.
Hence my desire to find some more RL 26!

That Reloader -26 is a very good powder.I shoot it in my 7mags.Once other people found out how well it performs,they have had a hard time keeping it in stock.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Seafire
We had about 10 single 1 pounders delivered at our Local BiMart here in Southern Oregon this past week...
a week later they still haven't sold any... the locals have no clue what it is...

Last time they had some in, one guy was busy telling another of how great it worked in 223s....
gives an example of how clueless some of our locals can be on such subjects....

If you guys were here in Oregon, I'd pick ya up some...

I’ll be in Medford next week, I’ll take 6.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php?fbclid=IwAR18SC2K4oIFffjfCDyhg2Q6yLwV88kif3C-8S244tV30Qa064bd5EqymBM#!l=PDR&i=R268

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gotta love BiMart sometimes. Bought 2 lbs at the Albany store yesterday. Tipped off a friend and he drove down and bought the last few. They had lots of other Alliant powders.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Powder valley had it for moment, yesterday.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
It’s not often that I make a good investment ......but, this time I grabbed the “golden ring”! About 2 years ago, I bought an 8 pounder for future load development.....I still have 8 pounds remaining! smile Given the present political environment, I’m feeling pretty good about having a little surplus! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My shooting range had it a few weeks ago. I bought 2# but they had 8#'ers as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

So fortunate to have secured these. Thanks Gene

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked up 6 1lb jugs yesterday for me and my shooting partner. Had to drive an hour to get it but it's the first that's been available in years. That shop didn't have any of the 8lb jugs or I would have bought one.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I just hit up another store and no luck. Guy at the gun counter said almost impossible for them to get Hodgkin and Alliant powders. Had some Winchester, IMR, and Accurate ones though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,198
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.