Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Winchester began to have a difficult time sourcing quality American black walnut in the mid 1950’s.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by hanco
This one has a nice stock, but ain’t near that purty.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hanco, what year, model and caliber is your gun?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by JeffG
this sort of wood (especially American black walnut) is getting harder to come by, but it's only ever been had as a premium grade of wood (read: expensive)

[Linked Image]

Quick hi-jack: OP - What mill did you use to saw that out ?

C
OP Offline
C
The first thing I did after buying this gun was order a copy of David Royal's book, A Collector's Guide to the Savage 99 Rifle. My book arrived before my new old gun! The gun was shipped USPS Priority from Vermont to Alabama and it took 12 days to arrive. For a while there I was thinking it was on a slow boat from China.

From the book I learned my gun was made in 1949, but nothing I was reading matched up with the stock, checkering, pistol grip and cap, butt plate and forearm of this gun. Identifying the letter designation of the model from the book was perplexing, as some of the identifiers were related to the wood.

Thanks to Calhoun I learned my gun is a 99EG with an after-market wood upgrade. Thanks to Magnum Bob I know the wood is Walnut crotch wood and after researching, I'm convinced this is not the Turkish Walnut we've seen so much of in the last 30 to 40 years.

[Linked Image from guncollectorsclub.com]

The fancy butt plate was unlike any of the factory butt plates shown in the book. Pocono Jack let me know that it is a Niedner style butt plate, designed by A.O.Niedner, an early 20th century gunsmith and rifle maker. That info was really helpful.

With such attention to every other detail like the widows peak, those protruding screwheads in the photos were a puzzlement to me. Turns out they just weren't seated well. Evidently someone else removed the plate to investigate as I did when the gun arrived and over-cautiously tightened them too little.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing the modifications were done in the '50s. It's like someone took a near new '48 Panhead and made a chopper out of it.

We all speculate to some extent when we buy an old gun. I think I have an $800 gun with $800 worth of furniture on it. Please smile when you laugh. But I will say this. I've already had $1,600 worth of fun in just two short weeks!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a beautiful rifle! Thank you for sharing.
I love custom wood on rifles and just recently I was lucky enough to land one in 250-3000 (not as nice as yours!)
That rifle would look good in just about any fine gun collection! A real piece of functional art.
If you decide it's not for you, please let me know. I have just the gun rack to put it in!

Life is far too short to hunt with an ugly gun!

Best,
Ed

IC B2

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Ed.

I forgot to share this photo of the custom-made steel pistol grip cap that was designed to perfectly match the fancy butt plate.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by collector14
Thanks Ed.

I forgot to share this photo of the custom-made steel pistol grip cap that was designed to perfectly match the fancy butt plate.

Another A.O. Niedner design.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
..and if you use star-drive deck screws it's way easier to index 'em..

[Linked Image]

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (257 roberts, alwaysoutdoors, 160user, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,888
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.