Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,798 of 1,842 1 2 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BuschPilot
Congrats Joey and Dave. that's an awesome weekend at chickenbuck!

What did you guys get Buschy?

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
well, I have been home with covid for 3 weeks. just got cleared as of Sunday night so still playing it safe. one of my boys got an 8, a couple of the others in our group got a couple 8s as well Saturday night. I haven't felt much like hunting but feeling a lot better today. need to finish moving this week and the weekend as we close on the house next week. cant wait to be down to just a lot less to deal with come winter. Good Luck you all.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good call on breaking down those deer Dave. I have no doubts there were some deer that went rancid from not being properly cared for.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hope you're feeling better Buschy. Heard it really takes the wind out of your sails.

Dave, love the donut story! Did the 88 stay home this year? Fine buck by both you and the boy. Love me some heart too.

We handle deer in exactly the same way. That pelvis split is a tricky thing. Borrowed by bud's Buck Kalinga to do the job. $200 knife and the tip of it is still in that pelvis. Oops. Told him I'd grind it down and try to make it look purty. Ended up a fancy putty knife. There's equipment casualties every deer season. $200 lesson for me. Such is life.

Our opener is Sunday. 80% chance of rain. Rah. Sunday night will be libations hunkered down around the clothes dryer. Can't wait.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I thought about the 88 about a day later. It would have been a fine choice, although I don't regret taking the pimpy fwt M70. Quite some time ago i did some bedding and trigger work on it and I'm quite comfortable/familiar with it. The trigger was probably actually pretty important in this scenario, I had a split second for my shot opportunity. The 88 trigger could have complicated things. Maybe not, but as it happened, things worked perfectly.

Something clever here.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Super glad to see some shot up in da nort country! How is the babysitting going?

Gopher, any deer down for you?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Thats a nice buck Dave, congrats. Thanks for posting the details, I always enjoy hearing them. Good luck with someone in your camp getting the big one.
I have had a lot of nice bucks on camera, several during daylight but always when I am not there so my bow remains unfired except for the two coyote I shot a few weeks ago. Saw six of them that morning but none since then, maybe they got the message.
Good luck to everyone.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Super glad to see some shot up in da nort country! How is the babysitting going?

Babysitting starts tomorrow! I can't wait!

Im so excited for everyone in our group that will still hunt this weekend. We have regular temps now and we have snow again! And the rut is still on!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
Thats a nice buck Dave, congrats. Thanks for posting the details, I always enjoy hearing them. Good luck with someone in your camp getting the big one.
I have had a lot of nice bucks on camera, several during daylight but always when I am not there so my bow remains unfired except for the two coyote I shot a few weeks ago. Saw six of them that morning but none since then, maybe they got the message.
Good luck to everyone.

Thin those yotes out! That's awesome!

Hope you get a good deer too though.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Berettaman

Hunted hard last weekend. Blew my chance at one. i missed a moving deer on the other side of a clearcut. My son threw a Hail Mary at it too and didn't fair any better than I did. Hunted yesterday but didn't see anything. My daughter's coming up tomorrow and I'll hunt with her this weekend.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Trimmed, cut and vac packed a deer and a half last night. Froze the rest until next week. We will be canning about 12 quarts this year as well.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nomm nomm nomm

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I talked to one of our guys who hunted up in Emily yesterday. Lots of wolf tracks around. They must be eating good up there.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rumor has it Tom shot a dandy this morning.....😉

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Yesterday was the firearm opener here in Mi.
I tried a decoy this year in an overgrown cow pasture. Right at first light I had a doe in front of me staring at the decoy. While I was watching her a small 5 or 6 point came up 20 yards to my left but he was focused on the decoy & never saw me. He slowly walked around the decoy and trotted towards the doe. I watched them for a minute and then looked to my left again and saw a buck across the field looking my way. He ran up to about 60 yards & stopped to stare at the decoy. He looked like the 9 point I had on camera. It was a hard quartering to me shot, he dropped just inside the trees at the edge of the field.
I was using Hornady Superformance 150gn SST in 300 Savage. I have not used it before but it sure did the job. The right shoulder was broken, the heart & one lung were shredded & the bullet still exited just behind the last rib on the far side. He still went about 100 yds before dropping. I did take another shot as he was going away but I don't know if that connected or not. Probably not.
I saw a total of 8 deer all day, several were small bucks.
Will work on some pictures if I can.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Yes He did!

Congrats on the buck, northern jim.

Well, young Joey and I did baby sitting duty all weekend. we watched 2 toddlers and a bunch of dogs back at the cabin while the crew took to the stands Friday evening, all day Saturday and Sunday morning. Joe and I no longer regret taking a couple of bucks early in the season. No deer were seen during legal shooting hours. 4 hunters out in blinds for long hours, nothing.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm hunting south of Tower. I've only seen a couple does and one small spiker. On the way out from the stand yesterday I walked in and pulled pics off the trail cam that is about 100 yards from my stand. Thought you would enjoy seeing this buck; taken the morning after we got the 7" of snow mid-week.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by KeithNyst; 11/16/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Must be still dragging it !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Our deer camp is about 40 miles southwest of Camp Chickenbuck. The camp patriarch is 93 this year. He shot a ten point buck about 8:30 opening morning with one shot from his .243. Two of his four sons gutted the deer and one son and I skinned it later that morning. Two other deer shot at camp also but that was the highlight for us. Story in Grand Forks Herald on 11/14.

Attached Images
Stu's deer at 93.JPG (16.99 KB, 141 downloads)
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
I'm hunting south of Tower. I've only seen a couple does and one small spiker. On the way out from the stand yesterday I walked in and pulled pics off the trail cam that is about 100 yards from my stand. Thought you would enjoy seeing this buck; taken the morning after we got the 7" of snow mid-week.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's great. Where abouts? I used to hunt south of tower.

Something clever here.

Page 1,798 of 1,842 1 2 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (7mm_Loco, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 17 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.