Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I did a little playing around with some new gadgets (video/spotter connector/support, etc) and made my first attempt at editing together video and pictures, etc. I figured some might find it interesting:

1502 Yards

That was also my first time shooting that rifle at a "proper" target that far away. Damn, it makes 1000 seem easy. Enjoy.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice Video. I thought you missed the last one, but the last frame shows the impact.

CK

CK
JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I can see it OK on my big TV straight from the camera but it's really hard to see on the computer, especially in the compressed smaller file version. Once you know where to look I can just make out a disturbance on my monitor. Not that it matters that much; there were a couple misses before I got my dope figured out. It's the three consecutive hits that are what's fun to remember. wink

I'm going to try and find a new spot which will allow the gong to be in the sun which improves the video quality dramatically for next time. Hopefully a mile or longer so I'll need it to help spot my shots.

S
SHW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Very nice shooting & I enjoyed the video. How big is the gong. The only reason I ask is because I am wanting to make some more. I currently only have a small gong, but I want to make some bigger ones for > 500 Yards.
I assume that scope is a NXS. Which reticle is that & what power?

Last edited by SHW; 07/16/07. Reason: spelling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice shooting and video Jon.

HBB

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by SHW
I assume that scope is a NXS. Which reticle is that & what power?

It's an IOR 4-14X50 Tactical (with the sunshade that comes with the scope screwed on). The reticle is a SFP MP-8 calibrated at 10X, I was shooting at 14X in the video.

Actually I should have listed all this stuff in the first place:

Video:
Meopta TGA 75 Spotting Scope with 30X wide angle ranging reticle eyepiece.
Lens adapter to the Sony Digital 8 Handycam from http://www.lensadapter.net/ .
Bogen/Manfrotto 3420 Telephoto Lens Support.
Bogen/Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod Legs with 701RC2 Video Fluid Head (RC2 Quick Release).

Rifle:
Sporter weight Browning A-Bolt hunting rifle. Lilja barrel, McMillan stock, APS Smithing job.
IOR 4-14X50 Tactical. Badger rings. My own base.
300 RUM, 94 grains Retumbo, 208 A-Max, Virgin Nosler brass, 3150 fps.

Rangefinder:
Newcon LRB 3000 Pro, 7X40 Binocs. It isn't even sweating yet at this range.

How big is the gong. The only reason I ask is because I am wanting to make some more. I currently only have a small gong, but I want to make some bigger ones for > 500 Yards.

This one is 3' wide (exactly one Mil @ 1000 yds) by 2' high with a 1' circle painted in the middle. I typically use it from 800-1100 yds at its permanent location.

I also use one that's 2' wide by 18" tall with a 9" circle painted in the middle mostly from 500-800 (300-400 also with less powerful rifles).

Since most of my shooting is done alone and spotting my shots myself is difficult with that much recoil, I prefer large gongs
so even a "miss" (of the circle) is visible to me so I can learn from it.

Of course at 1500 yds even the big one is no longer really "big," which was one of the reasons for the whole video/spotting scope contraption.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool vid!!!!

Neat to watch the mirage pick up just that tiny bit and the bullet wander downrange, then it looked like it picked up even just a tiny bit more.... I was betting #3 would be just off the gong but either someone favored ....grinning.... or got just lucky a bit.

What do you think of the meopta? Been thinking of one for backpack hunts, compacts down well?

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
JonA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll confess to getting lucky a bit on the last one--the change was not evident to me at the time so I did not compensate, I only noticed when watching the video later. I should have paid better attention. I got even luckier in that respect when I went out a couple days later to the same spot when the wind was a bit more gentle (only took about 2.5 MOA vs 4 for the last time):

[Linked Image]

I got delayed by some cows that had to "graze through" so it got sort of dark on me which meant the video didn't turn out and I had a hell of a time spotting my shots. Once I saw the top one hit I came down two clicks and let six more rounds fly just shooting blind. I guess a couple went just under, I should have only come down one click. Oh well, I was pretty happy to see four rounds all put within 1 MOA from that range when I finally made it back to the gong. There's only so much one should expect from a sporter weight hunting rifle over the hood of a vehicle.... wink Of course that doesn't mean I won't expect to do better next time. smile

I like the Meopta very much. It does compact down very well--it gets pretty small for a 75mm spotter. Here it is (with eyepiece on) with a 300 RUM round for size comparison:

[Linked Image]

Of course there are smaller spotters out there that are easier to pack, everybody has to make his own call there. This one seemed to me like a good compromise in optical size/quality vs. packability. The extend/collapse nature does come at the expense of being 100% sealed submersible waterproof though, which is something to keep in mind. I soaked mine really well once already by leaving it out and set up overnight (duh me!) to find it dripping in dew the next morning. It dried out just fine with no fogging or anything of the sort.

The fact it doesn't need a case--you can just put the caps on, strap it shut and throw it in your pack, a saddle bag, the back of your truck, etc, really aids its packability IMHO.

The view through it really is brilliant--don't let the recording through my crappy camcorder (especially in such low light) fool you as it really doesn't do the scope justice.

And of course there's the reticle which most wouldn't find of much use for hunting but I find so useful for other things. If you want one you have the Leupold Mark 4 or a Zeiss for a lot more money as about your only other choices until US Optics' new one is available.

About the only other criticism I'd have of it besides the waterproofing is they eye relief is a bit short. It doesn't bother me looking through it but I can't seem to get the full FOV with cameras--which could mainly be due to my incompetence with cameras.... wink I really like the big FOV with that eyepiece though--as big as most 20X spotters. It sure makes it easier to find what you want to look at.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks!! Not bad at all considering all.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That was impressive

I thought I was doing good today at the range with my 1st load of 25-06 from my win 70 classic with a cheap simmons 4x12 scope

.37 at 100
1.70 at 200
off the typing paper at 300 (aimed dead center)
hit gong at 400 every time
missed gong every time at 500 (not sure of drop)

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
would like to learn how to shoot long distances , what should one do to self teach . just got a 6mm rem. for coyotee have 22ppc
223 ar .

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IMHO the only things to do, is simply do it. FWIW I have always felt that shooting highpower rifle matches and that meant starting to shoot at 200 yards reduced course and learning HOW to shoot, then moving out to 600 and mastering the wind, was the best help for me. You haev to shoot up to 22 shots at 600 and some matches are 66 shots, you haev to watch the wind for each shot and adjust... that carries to the field very well for me.

Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 44 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,336
Posts18,506,137
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.