Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have been gathering items for my upcoming elk hunt and am trying to prepare myself (physically) for the hunt. This led me to think about the different mindset I will be in, and must be in, while on a wilderness elk hunt.
This brings me to the question... Do any of you or your hunting buds do anything quirky or just plain different while in elk camp or when preparing for it.

I will start.. I am planning on shaving my head just prior to the hunt. I don't want to have to worry about where a hair brush is while hunting - let alone washing my hair.

Any of you guys do anything similar to get you prepared?
also, any tips for making backcountry hunts more convenient??

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Carry wet wipes for TP.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget to shave your crack, while you got the razor out. It saves on dingleberry pickin', if you run outta paper...... Ask violator22 about the process........ grin Don

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
A saw blade long enough that you don't bust your knuckles on antlers with every stroke...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shaving my head would not be at the top of my list though I have been know not to shave my face during and elk hunt.
I'd be more incline to start hiking a mile or 2 every day in the boots your planing to hunt in or if it's a horse back hunt I'd get some time in a sadle be for I went.
Also GrizzlyBear gave some good advise!

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear
Carry wet wipes for TP.

+1

Last edited by fremont; 07/15/07.

Murphy was a grunt.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Straight razor, or electric?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you are hunting in high country, you can not be in too good shape. I'd start a walking regimen with a pack containing 25 pounds of weight and work up to 50 pounds while maintaining a fast walk. You'll be amazed at how fast and strong elk can run up a mountainside.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Where are you going to hunt? What altitude??

I've hunted elk since 1974, in four western states and have never bothered worrying about my hair. Just run your fingers through it, put on your hat/cap and go bust an elk.

As others said, get in shape! Hunting the Rocky Mountains is not easy. You'll enjoy your hunt, and have more chance at success if you are in good physical condition.

Make sure to drink lots of water. The last thing you need is altitude sickness. Not only can it destroy your hunt, it is very dangerous. (Ask me how I know.)

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you're going in on horses, don't wear wool pants unless you're also wearing long johns. Wool pants chafe like crazy in the saddle.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mozey
A saw blade long enough that you don't bust your knuckles on antlers with every stroke...

Here's one of the best folding saws I've seen. It's made by Stanley for cutting wood, etc. IT USES STANDARD RECIPROCATING SAW BLADES so you can chose what blade to use. They come in all sizes and styles.

Dick

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was just shaving my head for speed, ease and convenience. I keep it pretty short anyways but as a banker, I try to keep enough to cover the scalp. i was also thinking about shaving under my arms. I have a couple of Undrarmour style "wicking shirts" that I wear hen working out. Man do they wick, alright. they wick the stench right from my skin to the shirt and it stays there. I have also noticed that the unscented deodorant seems to "cake" on hair more and doesn't seem to offer the same "protection".

as for working out: I have been on a basic routine for about 6 months. I really ramped up the walking and cardio over the last month. I fugured starting too early would lead to burnout.
I have been walking outdoors, in the gym and even have done a few day hikes with a full pack. Did about 6 miles with a full pack just Saturday.
My hunt this year is in Idaho. I think the higher elevations are to be about 7000ft. A few years back, I hunted in Colorado. We camped at 10,000ft and hunted from there. That was really rough on a flatlander.
I am preparing better this time but also realize I am a few years older. Maybe the shaved head will make me more aerodynamic.. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm changing one thing this year, I'm not going to burn myself out setting up camp and doing the chores.
Last year by the evening before the opening I was just about done in from setting up, cutting wood, ect.
I'll haull the gear out and it can set on the trailer until the kids show up to do the work

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is the shaving I mentioned......I got a kick outta it. Don
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...2&topic=0&Search=true#Post758691

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
pondjumpr,

I used to have my head saved alot and my brother is bald, so I'll tell you one little hint. The sun you get at altitude can give you one hell of a painful sunburn at anytime of the year and on any level of tan. And your head is not the best place to get burned either, it hurts for a couple of days and then is extremely itchy for about a week.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Plato
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by mozey

Here's one of the best folding saws I've seen. It's made by Stanley for cutting wood, etc. IT USES STANDARD RECIPROCATING SAW BLADES so you can chose what blade to use. They come in all sizes and styles.

Dick

[Linked Image]

After reading about these good deal saws last year I went out and bought 2 of them to take to elk camp. We bent 3 blades and I am not so spiffy on them myself.

Just my 2 cents

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 07/16/07.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You shoulda got the demolition blades. Then you'd be spiffed. They don't bend. Don

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Recip blades are made to cut on the PULL stroke. If you try to push them, they'll bend every time. If they work in a recip saw cutting hard wood, they'll sure as heck take the antlers off of an elk.

Dick

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fremont
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear
Carry wet wipes for TP.

+1

+2

Plus buy a big cot and a big, sleazy, warm sleeping bag. Screw mummy bags and thermarests in elk camp!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1_deuce, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,807
Posts18,516,344
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.