Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Lawdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Just seen this and though I would let everyone know.

" Update: California Dove Bill Shelved

A bill that would've banned dove hunting in California was pulled by its author last Wednesday, a week before it was scheduled for its first hearing in an environmental committee.

Democratic Assemblyman Joe Nation says he'll work with the California Department of Fish and Game to help lower the crippling rate for doves that are shot. Nation says he's also concerned about the environmental impacts of lead shot.

Nation says the legislation was only intended to look at how to avoid having doves crippled rather than killed. He claims 25 percent of the 2 million doves shot annually in California end up crippled."

What I would like to know is just where did he get the idea that 1 out of every 4 dove shot end up "crippled"? I mean I do my share in keeping the ammo companies in business by missing my share but I don't believe that 25% of the dove I shoot(and hit) fly off "crippled". You know it's funny that his original bill didn't say anything about "environmental impacts of lead shot" or "25 percent of the 2 million doves shot annually in California end up crippled". Strange. Lawdog

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lawdog,
Have you confirmed this? There was a anti/dove hunting letter in the paper yesterday urging to ban dove hunting. Mentioned a senate bill also, I can't remember the #. MtnHtr

Lawdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Mtn Hunter,

Yes I checked it out by going on line to the state assembly web site and checking on the status of the bill and Nation's has pulled it. More then likely the person that wrote the letter you saw is trying to get Nation's to reintroduce the bill. I also called the assembly secretary's office and was told that over 35,000 phone calls, emails and letters had flooded the capitol senate and assembly offices against Nation's bill. Do you think that maybe this had some small part in Nation's pulling the bill and not for the reasons he stated to the press? I want to thank you for your post and for taking the time to post it. Nation's needs to be watched because although he pulled the bill he can always reintroduce it again if he thinks he can get it passed. [color:"red"]"VIGILANCE" [/color] is the word of the day for the hunters and shooters in California and the rest of the nation. Lawdog

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 257Bob, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.