Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Been working to get an older Rem 700 in 30-06 of mine getting it up to snuff, bought it back in the 80's and have only shot it a few times on the range. (Military and new fancy dancy European rifles kept me busy all these years, lol)

Got a good scope on it, working up loads, just generally checking it all out and getting it up to par.

Gotta be a lotta folks here that have used them plenty and are intimately familiar with them. I've noticed an oddity with mine. The trigger is heavy, though it works just fine and I've never been able to jimmy the safety or pull trigger, safety off, safety on, and ever get it to fire. But it is over 5.5 lbs pull.

So I pulled it apart and adjusted it to what I feel is a reasonable 3 to 3.5 pounds pull. Played with it a bunch, checked 20+ times, bumped it hard, etc, all the things you do to try and get it to fire. Called it good and put it back together.

Now the oddity, It will remain consistent all day long at between 3 and 3.5 pounds pull checked with an RCBS Premium Trigger Pull Scale . . . until you put the Safety on and take the Safety off, then miraculously it adds about a pound to the trigger pull, remaining consistent at 4.5 pounds pull, and you can do this all day long, not just a one time fluke. If you do not put the Safety on, it will register 3 to 3.5 pounds trigger pull. Put that Safety on one time or more, and back to 4.5. I don't like that at all, so yes, got a Timney on the way. Just thought if I could get this Remy Trigger to work "ok" I'd leave it in there, no dice.

Have any others noticed this? Or do I got a unique Safety on that 700?

HR IC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You’ll love the Timney

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
X mark pro trigger?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
X mark pro trigger?

He said older 700 bought in the 80s.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ah. Missed that. I asked because that's exactly what my x mark pro models did too

Last edited by mjbgalt; 11/26/20.
IC B2

Dom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobBrown
You’ll love the Timney

Yes, I know I will because I already got a couple of 'em in Sako's. Have had good luck with them, though these Timney's are also 20+ years old so hope they kept up the QC on them.

Dom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Ah. Missed that. I asked because that's exactly what my x mark pro models did too

Hmmmm, so we could be on to something here. What did you do? Replace it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Triggertech has a BF going on now.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
No I did not replace them yet. Got 3 of em still. They break cleanly and only one had this issue and I think I ended up trading that one if I remember correctly

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It sounds as though the safety lever is scraping the sear engagement and/or trigger when moving it.

Did you mess with sear engagement?

Have you thoroughly cleaned it?--I mean remove the trigger assembly, disassemble the safety lever, and drop the TA and safety lever parts into solvent for a day or more, then gently blow it out with compressed air.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a 700 that does that. I figure it is changing the sear engagement. Doesn't add much but on a pull guage, it shows. It is my house coyote gun so never gets loaded until outside right before I shoot. The safety is rarely applied. Still, I may put a Trigger Tech in it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Timney is a great choice but look at TriggerTech also.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...254/gonew/1/timney-vs-triggertech#UNREAD

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by boliep

DING!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned several 700's in the past and I noticed the same thing on each of them. I think it has something to do with the safety blocking the sear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boliep

This. ^^^

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Dom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the info and replies. No I didn't clean it, wasn't dirty, like new yet.

I checked out Triggertech but for the price I couldn't beat Timney so one is on the way. This rifle is no where near my main hunting rifle, I just want it to work and shoot without issues.

I see that I'm not the only one that noticed this, as others have attested. I also think it must be somehow grazing the sear when you put the safety on and take it off.

I had thought of taking it to a gunsmith, as this is above my comfort zone tearing apart a trigger (especially a Remington, lol), but figured for the price I would be better off just installing a Timney.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, afisher, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.