Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
twodogs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I use RCBS dies for reloading most of my ammo. One thing I've noticed both here and on other forums, (don't tell Rick), is that folks occasionally have problems with undersize/oversize expander balls in their .45 sizing dies.

I understand what that's all about but don't understand why my RCBS dies in these calibers don't even have expander balls. My .357 and .44 dies are the same.

I'm not having any problems, just curious.

Is this something just common to RCBS straight wall dies? crazy

[Linked Image]
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If you have an RCBS 3 die set, you have an expander ball. It is the die in which you "bell" the case mouth with. You probably aren't having problems because you shoot jacketed bullets, which don't need much expanding. If you shoot Hornady's, you might notice a little more hesistation, as they are generally a little larger than other makes!

twodogs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HawkI
If you have an RCBS 3 die set, you have an expander ball. It is the die in which you "bell" the case mouth with. You probably aren't having problems because you shoot jacketed bullets, which don't need much expanding. If you shoot Hornady's, you might notice a little more hesistation, as they are generally a little larger than other makes!

Thank you, I guess I never thought of it that way. I pictured an expander ball as being like the ones in bottle neck rifle sizing dies.

Now I can sleep peacefully again. sleep

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello
As HawkI say's, The RCBS set with Three dies has an expander die and if you Buy the Lower Priced Carbide Lee dies it to will have an expander die which is the One you drop the Powder charge through. I have the Lee set and simply Bought the Lyman Bullet seating Die and Shell Holder to make my .45 Colt die set work with .45 ACP as well and this saved me the cost of an extra die set by Just shortening the existing .45Colt dies I have on hand. Thegeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You should of bought the lee 4 die carbide die set with the lee crimp die.

G-19
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by glockface
You should of bought the lee 4 die carbide die set with the lee crimp die.

Hello
I did and Love the factory ring style crimper that exerts the exact same pressure on all rounds. I Love Lee products made for the working man and Guranteed for Life.. Thegeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,826
Posts18,516,834
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.