Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have insight into this comment in Brophy's Marlin book, “During the 1944-1945 period, Marlin manufactured some sporting rifle barrels for Savage. This helped Savage get back into the sporting rifle business after some years of dedicated war work.”

Had never run across this in discussion here.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is that all the data that's in the book?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I looked in the Marlin book and that statement is all that is there. My 99 was made March 1945, as date stamped on the wood under the buttplate, so I'm curious about that statement.

Previously XLTFX4 on this site.
Life member NYSRPA.
Endowment Life member NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A statement with no details about dates, or quantities, or even the models they provided barrels for? Seems a bit minimal.

I do remember JTC once making a statement about some 99 barrels being made at Chicopee Falls before Utica was closed down in 1946, but he didn't expound on it and maybe I'm remembering wrong.

But I don't remember anything about Marlin and 99's in the 40's.

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So does that date jive with the mp mark?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have data on 53 MP marked Savage 99s, low number 284388 and high number of 308782 which would be in the 1926 to early 1928 era. These numbers are much earlier than potential 1944/45 serial numbers. Perhaps we will solve the MP mark someday.
BillR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds interesting though haven't heard or read that before.
Suppose it could be true, but more questions than answers.

260SS,
Is your rifle a 99EG?
What is s.n.?
What is the date stamp you referenced under the butt plate? An actual date? or date code? on wood or metal?
Barrel markings? "JM" anywhere?, caliber? barrel address?

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just pulled the forearm off of an mid-1945 99T (or whatever it is). It has an 8, an R, and last 3 digits of the serial on it on the bottom of the barrel.

I know my lucky EG also from mid-1945 doesn't have a JM stamp either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The barrels mentioned may not have been for the 99's. They could have been for 22's, those would have been easier to source out and have them work without much fitting. I'll have to look closer at barrel markings on 22's from that time.

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeneB
The barrels mentioned may not have been for the 99's. They could have been for 22's, those would have been easier to source out and have them work without much fitting. I'll have to look closer at barrel markings on 22's from that time.

Good point Gene.
This could be a previously unexplored rabbit hole. ??

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was Marlin the only firearm maker in the USA not to be swamped with government gun contracts during WW2? I don't think I've ever heard of a WW2 rifle made by Marlin.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Sounds interesting though haven't heard or read that before.
Suppose it could be true, but more questions than answers.

260SS,
Is your rifle a 99EG?
What is s.n.?
What is the date stamp you referenced under the butt plate? An actual date? or date code? on wood or metal?
Barrel markings? "JM" anywhere?, caliber? barrel address?

Yes, 99EG. #4274xx
Date stamp is an ink stamp: Mar 13 1945, on the wood butt under the buttplate. Other than the standard Savage barrel markings there is a "5" stamped on the bottom of the barrel under the forearm. Possibly 194"5"?
As a defense subcontractor, Savage was required to date stamp or serial number their production. The obvious reason was to be able to quickly identify and remove defective weapons from battle use. As I remember, Savage made, among other items, the wood for Thompson subguns, so ink stamping buttstock wood would have been common, at the time.

Life member NYSRPA.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Was Marlin the only firearm maker in the USA not to be swamped with government gun contracts during WW2? I don't think I've ever heard of a WW2 rifle made by Marlin.

Marlin did make barrels for M1 Carbine manufacturers as a subcontractor. I have a National Postal Meter Carbine with a Union Switch and Signal receiver and a Marlin barrel. If a contractor was unable to maintain the volume required by their War Contract, they were required to obtain what parts they needed from a subcontactor.

Life member NYSRPA.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Did Savage have a Wartime Contract to make a weapon? Possibly Marlin could have made barrels for that weapon?

Life member NYSRPA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260SS

Marlin did make barrels for M1 Carbine manufacturers as a subcontractor. I have a National Postal Meter Carbine with a Union Switch and Signal receiver and a Marlin barrel. If a contractor was unable to maintain the volume required by their War Contract, they were required to obtain what parts they needed from a subcontactor.

In the case of your M1 carbine, is the Marlin barrel marked as such? JM? M? other?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did Savage have a Wartime Contract to make a weapon? Possibly Marlin could have made barrels for that weapon?

Savage made over a million Thompson sub machineguns, a ton of Enfields, and a whole lot of 50 cal machineguns.

The Enfield production was the first to start, and I think they converted the Steven’s plant to it for the duration.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, 99EG. #4274xx
Date stamp is an ink stamp: Mar 13 1945, on the wood butt under the buttplate. Other than the standard Savage barrel markings there is a "5" stamped on the bottom of the barrel under the forearm. Possibly 194"5"?
As a defense subcontractor, Savage was required to date stamp or serial number their production. The obvious reason was to be able to quickly identify and remove defective weapons from battle use. As I remember, Savage made, among other items, the wood for Thompson subguns, so ink stamping buttstock wood would have been common, at the time.

I have a couple rifles shortly after yours, 429,xxx and one of them lettered as shipping in June, 1945. No date stamps on buttstock. I think your stamp might have been done by the buyer right when he got it - that’s just a guess. But I’m sure the date is right.

My 1945 T I checked has an 8 on bottom of barrel, so I don’t think the 5 stamp is the year. Probably the inspector.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

In the case of your M1 carbine, is the Marlin barrel marked as such? JM? M? other?

The barrel has the word "MARLIN", in capital letters, stamped lengthwise along the top of the barrel. Most contractors roll stamped across the width closer to the muzzle end of the barrel. By the way, not surprisingly, that Carbine is easily the most accurate one that I ever had.

Life member NYSRPA.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Savage made over a million Thompson sub machineguns, a ton of Enfields, and a whole lot of 50 cal machineguns.

The Enfield production was the first to start, and I think they converted the Steven’s plant to it for the duration.

Then, it does make sense that Marlin probably did make barrels so that Savage could fulfill their government contracts. It would be intersting, though, to know what barrels were made for them by Marlin.

Life member NYSRPA.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes, 99EG. #4274xx

I have a couple rifles shortly after yours, 429,xxx and one of them lettered as shipping in June, 1945. No date stamps on buttstock. I think your stamp might have been done by the buyer right when he got it - that’s just a guess. But I’m sure the date is right.

My 1945 T I checked has an 8 on bottom of barrel, so I don’t think the 5 stamp is the year. Probably the inspector.

That 5 could be an inspector stamp, as you say. Coincidentally, that date is the day that the US declared Iwo Jima conquered, even though mop up continued for 13 days later. Could be a patriotic inspector stamped the date. Like many curiosities, hard to know exactly 75 years later, LOL.

Life member NYSRPA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 10 invisible), 1,516 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.