Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hawg Offline OP
OP Offline
H
300 Weatherby, not too accurate. Seems to print preferred ammo in a box almost like a parallelogram. Probably 3 MOA. If it doesn’t like the ammo it is all over the place. Any thoughts here - just seems odd to pattern this way. Still trying to find an accurate load - commercial and hand loaded. 7MM 160’s print in less than a MOA - same day, same setup - so it is not the shooter.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
If you’re reloading try make them shorter. I had a conversation with Barnes and they told me some Weatherby want to jump .300” . I have a rifle that wants a .170” jump. Just a thought. Good luck!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is it a Weatherby rifle?

If so return it. It is guaranteed

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is it a Weatherby rifle?

If so return it. It is guaranteed

I was wondering the same thing. The only bad thing about sending a Weatherby rifle back is they have you send it to the nearest "factory authorized" repair center. The 1 weatherby rifle I had to send back was sent back 3 times before they fixed the issue. After receiving the rifle on the 3rd shipment, it came back with screw driver scratch marks on it. It seemed to work properly, so I sent the rifle down the road and swore Weatherby off. Their CS and repair centers are severely lacking. I'd be interested to see how this turns out, if the OP sends his rifle in for them to repair... If the rifle is not a true Weatherby manufactured rifle, I'm wondering if its properly glass bedded and how its scoped.. Is the barrel freefloating or does it have pressure at the forend tip? Has the op tried any accurizing tricks. Some things can be done pretty easily, like the old trick of putting a plastic bread clip in between the receiver and stock near the front action screw, to induce a temporary freefloat on the barrel, or business cards in the forend tip between the stock and barrel. I'd never say a rifle is shooting poorly due to a bad load, until I've tried every accurizing trick in the book, then I'd start on load development.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was given a Weatherby Varmintmaster 22-250. The original owner couldn't get it to shoot like it should. I took it to my gunsmith and he loosened the action screws and the barreled would rock in the stock. He properly inletted the stock and bedded the action. I shoots great now. I was told by a reliable source many Weatherbys don't like boat tail bullets because they have a long throat.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I was told by a reliable source many Weatherbys don't like boat tail bullets because they have a long throat.

That's interesting. I wonder if it pertains to other rifles with significant freebore.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Hawg
300 Weatherby, not too accurate. Seems to print preferred ammo in a box almost like a parallelogram. Probably 3 MOA. If it doesn’t like the ammo it is all over the place. Any thoughts here - just seems odd to pattern this way. Still trying to find an accurate load - commercial and hand loaded. 7MM 160’s print in less than a MOA - same day, same setup - so it is not the shooter.

Try a different scope,check screws in the mounts and rings,check the action screws and check the bedding. One way to check bedding is to wrap a dollar bill around the barrel and slide it down between the barrel and stock.

Have someone else shoot the rifle.

Is the trigger pull heavy?

Look for hairline cracks in stock if it is a wood stock.

Is the rifle new or used?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 43 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,334
Posts18,526,750
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.