Hop To
#15481752 12/03/20
S
sdkid Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Need suggestions for a scope for my sons AR. Is it possible to find something decent in the $200-$250 price range??? Let me know what works for you.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leupold VX Freedom ar 1.5-4x20 would be in that price range. Good optics for the money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See if you can find a Nikon on closeout.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For lower magnification ranges, I'd be all over this:

Weaver Grand Slam

For a little more magnification, check this one out:

Grand Slam 2.5-8x

I only wish I'd discovered how good these scopes are a decade ago...

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SWFA had their 1-4’s on sale the other day, that would be hard to beat around $300 and great AR optic.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Decent? Your price range is pretty low, but if it were me, I'd look into the SWFA's when they go on sale. Like wareagle suggested. Other than that, you have other options. One is made specifically for the AR by burris. It is called the MSR (Modern Sporting Rifle). I've ran them, but much prefer a step up to the Burris AR556 and 762 rifle scopes. Glass is much better on those and they are around $400.00. Anyway, the MSR works. Glass is about equal to the Leupold VX2 riflescopes. They have a good ballistic reticle, much like the old burris ballistic plex. Here are a few pics of that scope:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

With that being said, I use the MSR scope on my 223 bolt gun and some of my rimfires.
I've used it on a couple AR's and they work, but like I said earlier, I prefer the AR556 and AR762 over the MSR. But the OP has a low price requirement.

I don't know what power range you are looking for, but these scopes can be had in 3-9x40 and 4.5-14x42

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Most people who shoot AR's aren't benchresters.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Most people who shoot AR's aren't benchresters.

That explains it. A lot of guys I know and shoot Ar's with, use theirs on yotes and such. A 3-9x40 rifle scope works very well for them. Also, If I'm not mistaken, "benchresters" use very high power rifle scopes. 40x for example. What scope do you suggest, or do you have nothing positive to share?

As for the rifle scopes I suggested. Here are some of the specs:

Burris MSR 223 rifle scope:

Designed for shooters new to tactical rifles, who are ready for an affordable custom tactical riflescope
Features the Ballistic Plex™ reticle, the most simple, effective, and elegant trajectory-compensating reticle for hunting
Ballistic Plex reticle is calibrated for .223 Rem.
Features parallax adjustment for improved accuracy at long distances
Long-range accuracy in a simple design that’s easy to use
Can be matched with any caliber or bullet weight
Finger-adjustable, low-profile turrets create a sleek profile
Turret indications always reflect a change in the point of impact, for pinpoint accuracy
Separate power ring and eyepiece design accepts flip-up lens covers
High-grade optical glass provides excellent brightness and clarity with lasting durability
Quality, precision-ground lenses are larger than those of comparable scopes, for better light transmission
Index-matched, Hi-Lume® multicoating aids in low-light performance and glare elimination, increasing your success rate
Double internal spring-tension system allows the scope to hold zero through shock, recoil, and vibrations
Precision-gauged and hand-fitted internal assemblies maintain a consistent point of impact throughout the magnification range, regardless of shock and vibration
Positive steel-on-steel adjustments ensure repeatable accuracy
Waterproof
Nitrogen-filled scope tubes prevent internal fogging even in cold and rain
Durable, stress-free, solid 1-piece outer tube withstands shock and vibrations of even the heaviest-recoiling calibers
1-in. body tube
Guaranteed by the Burris Forever Warranty™

I don't see any mention of this scope being used for benchrest competitions. Its just not the best option for that. The op also didn't say what the use would be for or what power range he wants. Thats the reason I asked the question.. The op said, "what works for you". This is what works very well for me in that price range. Thats also the limiting factor. I much prefer my Nightforce 3.5-15, but that's not in his price range...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I seem to have touched a nerve... BTW--I wasn't talking about real benchresters, just those that always shoot from the bench. I never thought that's what AR's were for...just my opinion.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,969
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.