Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
For those in the know, what do the Canadiens think about this on the border?

Originally Posted by Redneck
Who needs a 'season'???

Correct

Camp is where you make it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
For those in the know, what do the Canadiens think about this on the border?

Geography is not your strong point

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kkahmann
When I was younger I spent several Summers in Wisconsin running bears during training season—now I turkey hunt down there.
I trapped and snared wolves and hunted them over bait for many years here locally.
Here’s my opinion on the matter—1st year quite a few will be trapped and shot—2nd year not so many—3rd year unless you can bait and snare you won’t even know there are wolves in Wisconsin except for tracks.

Your timeline is right on, except we will still know they are here. Tracks as you mentioned, howling, road kill, killing trailing hounds, pet dogs and livestock.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When I was younger I spent several Summers in Wisconsin running bears during training season—now I turkey hunt down there.
I trapped and snared wolves and hunted them over bait for many years here locally.
Here’s my opinion on the matter—1st year quite a few will be trapped and shot—2nd year not so many—3rd year unless you can bait and snare you won’t even know there are wolves in Wisconsin except for tracks.

When we had a season houndsmen were pretty successful.

Do you think that success will tail off as well?

They had to find solo wolf tracks to put the dogs on from what I understand, do you believe wolves will learn to not run solo?

Last edited by widrahthaar; 12/06/20.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I actually saw a wolf kill a dog just south of Cornacopia, WS in 2003. Very big lanky wolf killed a 60lb very aggressive Plott hound. Wolf killed that dog with a single bite thru the head.

I know many hound hunters who have lost dogs to wolf predation—it happens frequently around wolf rendevous sites summer and fall—most winter predation is on smaller lap type dogs.

Here’s a story for you—I wasn’t there but the hillbilly who told it I respect and admire and I believe it.
2 young fellas are standing under a treed bear—3 big English hounds on the tree. Hunters are waiting on the rest of party to walk in to tree as its a fair bit back in the bush. Dogs are tied to brush at base of tree. Both lads armed with 30-30’s. Pack of wolves rushes in kills all 3 dogs and left. It happened so fast one hunter got off one shot—missed.

I know there are lots of houndsmen in Wisconsin who run coyotes—I have no experience with that. I do think running wolves with hounds will come to a bad end most times.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A dog stands almost zero chance against a wolf. A wolf will play with it, toy with it, and lure it away if it wants. Then CHOMP on the head and it’s a dead dog.

That timeline above would be pretty accurate I’d say.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by tzone
A dog stands almost zero chance against a wolf. A wolf will play with it, toy with it, and lure it away if it wants. Then CHOMP on the head and it’s a dead dog.

Depends on the dog. Is it time to acquire a pack of wolfhounds yet?

Had a 9 mo old female wolf come out on the trail, of a pack of 5 or 6 surrounding and shadowing us from just a few yards away in heavy brush, to invite my Lab to "come play" as we were walking a snowy FS trail one November day. Her pelt graces my wall. Smallish, but prime!

He learned from that, and some time later was raising cane out in the yard, and came backing out of the woods onto the lawn, followed by a large wolf who "just wanted to make friends". First I grabbed a rifle, before going out. After I got the dog corralled and into the house, during which the wolf retreated into the woods before I could get a shot, I started calling neighbors with dogs. Looked out the window, and old lupus had returned, and was taking a dump on the lawn. By the time I retrieved the rifle from near the 1st floor door he was gone again.

A neighbor (pretty much anti-hunting, pro-wolf) about a half mile away said a wolf- probably this one - would, time to time - play with his two golden retrievers in the open field out front of his place.

Way more trusting than me..... smile

Nice dogs, too. They would come visit whenever they could get away with it. I had John on speed-dial.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I actually saw a wolf kill a dog just south of Cornacopia, WS in 2003. Very big lanky wolf killed a 60lb very aggressive Plott hound. Wolf killed that dog with a single bite thru the head.

I know many hound hunters who have lost dogs to wolf predation—it happens frequently around wolf rendevous sites summer and fall—most winter predation is on smaller lap type dogs.

Here’s a story for you—I wasn’t there but the hillbilly who told it I respect and admire and I believe it.
2 young fellas are standing under a treed bear—3 big English hounds on the tree. Hunters are waiting on the rest of party to walk in to tree as its a fair bit back in the bush. Dogs are tied to brush at base of tree. Both lads armed with 30-30’s. Pack of wolves rushes in kills all 3 dogs and left. It happened so fast one hunter got off one shot—missed.

I know there are lots of houndsmen in Wisconsin who run coyotes—I have no experience with that. I do think running wolves with hounds will come to a bad end most times.

Taxpayers are paying out an average of $2500.00 for each dog wolf kill.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Favorite wolf story:

Carl Clark, deceased, told me this one.

He came to Alaska in 1904 as a toddler. Later in life he was carrying mail by dog team up in Interior. One of his overnight stops between destinations was an Indian trapper's cabin.

Carl got hit enroute with a 3 foot snow dump, so had to break trail on snowshoes for his dogs. 6 miles from the trapper's cabin, he met up with the trapper, who had snow-shoed out to meet Carl and save him some work breaking trail..

"I was never so glad to see someone in my whole life", Carl told us.

Back at the trapper's place, the dog yard was occupied by 5 spots of bloody snow and scraps of dog hair.

No good deed shall go unpunished! smile

Last edited by las; 12/06/20.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Roundoak: Don't count "your chickens" just yet!
Have you heard of the "anti's" and "obstructionists" and "peta types"?
They have a habit of "obstructing" Hunts and trapping at every chance they get.
Just ONE for instance - the "anti's" here in Montana have obstructed my ability to go buy a license and Hunt for Wolverines for several years now!
Thats right several years and no court resolution to their obstructionist anti-Wolverine Hunting/trapping lawsuits to date!
In other words "I" can no longer go buy a license and go off on a Wolverine Hunt since the "anti's" filed their civil suit injunction some years ago!
Yes "I" hope you will be able to Hunt Wolves next year but again I would NOT count those chickens before they are hatched there in Wisconsin!
Been there done that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I’m aware, but hound hunters made it work when we had a season before by only putting their dogs on lone wolves.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My son wants to get after them next fall if possible: I don’t have a clue where to even start other than to hope I see one while we’re out. Which happens only about once a year.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My son wants to get after them next fall if possible: I don’t have a clue where to even start other than to hope I see one while we’re out. Which happens only about once a year.

Do you have any preference points?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Season, schmeeson - we don't need no steeeenking season...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Redneck
Season, schmeeson - we don't need no steeeenking season...

I’d like to keep a pelt on the next one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh yeah, the bedwetters will have this tied up in a liberal court by the end of January.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The wolves here on the Kenai Peninsula and north into the Anchorage Bowl and probably into the Mat-Su have lice, gotten from dogs (that they have eaten perhaps?). Pelts are no good after about Feb 1, I was told. Apparentely it is too cold for lice to survive in Interior - they don't have them as far as I know.

How about yours down there?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by widrahthaar

Nobody does.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by widrahthaar

Nobody does.

I have three points......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,479 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.