Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How often are you guys full-length sizing your brass for your bolt action hunting rifles?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Only when a case in a batch gets a bit sticky.

It would be a different matter if I was hunting something that might eat me.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by StudDuck
How often are you guys full-length sizing your brass for your bolt action hunting rifles?

If you're thinking about going all Redding then just get the Master Hunter set with the regular FL die and the Competition seating die. Add the carbide expander ball if it's available in the size you need. Set the FL die to size and bump the shoulder back about .002" which will preserve the brass and assure smooth chambering.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I PFL size everything all the time. Hunting to match grade competition ammo, makes no difference. You want 100% reliable ammo. That goes for bullet seating as well. Always .020"+ off the lands for reliability..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by StudDuck

If you're thinking about going all Redding then just get the Master Hunter set with the regular FL die and the Competition seating die. Add the carbide expander ball if it's available in the size you need. Set the FL die to size and bump the shoulder back about .002" which will preserve the brass and assure smooth chambering.

Forster seems to be a little harder to come by right now, so Redding was my thought. Trying to get what I can, while I can and to be honest, aside from 270 brass, I've got a darn good start.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I FL size my hunting brass every time. I didn't for the 350 mag I had but I had the Redding 3 die set if I needed to FL size the brass.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My process - starting with new brass.

1. Fireforming and initial load development. Straighten up necks as necessary before seating bullets.

2. Neck size and fine tune hunting load for speed and accuracy

3. Full length size for hunting rounds (in reality this is Redding body die + Lee collet neck sizer) Adjust FL/body die for no bolt resistance. I don't use a Stoney Point or any other guage to determine the exact amount of shoulder setback, but I'm starting with the die backed out and adjusting it incrementally until I get to no bolt resistance. Run each sized case (or every other one at a minimum) thru the chamber to ensure this. After bullets are seated (0.020" + off the lands) I run a few to make sure they still chamber to my satisfaction.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by mag410
Only when a case in a batch gets a bit sticky.

It would be a different matter if I was hunting something that might eat me.

Yep; depends upon the rifle, the load, and the brass.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do it every time.

Why take a chance.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I always full length size hunting ammo, and always check it all for feeding with full magazine. For rifles I use to hunt, all ammo for them gets full length sizing (I have many times used my off the shelf loads for a hunt that I didn’t plan for).

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I usually just neck size with a collet die, when clambering starts to get tight I anneal and push the shoulder back with a body die and trim. Its maybe every 4-6 firings. I do the same for hunting ammo, but will test each round for easy clambering before taking it hunting.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Almost never

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm not a believer in full-length sizing, unless I am using brass shot in another rifle. I keep my brass sorted by rifle.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Almost never

Yep

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by noKnees
I usually just neck size with a collet die, when clambering starts to get tight I anneal and push the shoulder back with a body die and trim. Its maybe every 4-6 firings. I do the same for hunting ammo, but will test each round for easy clambering before taking it hunting.

I’ve tried Lee Collet dies in three calibers and in each case the rounds got sticky after three loadings. Resizing with a full length resizing die (Redding in each case) does no good. The fl resized case is still sticky.....bolt closing on a loaded round is tough. What am I doing wrong?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do you know if you've really moved the shoulder back a couple of thousandths?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mostly load for multiple rifles in same chambering, I full length size every time.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by noKnees

Me too.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Every time, all the time. No problems with chamber fit or accuracy. If you have an accuracy problem, something else is wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only FL size but to only bump the shoulder 0.002”. Fireforming new brass moves the shoulder 0.0065”. Setting your FL sizer to bump only 0.002” is a bit tedious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htvk1UYOXm8

1. Fireform
2. FL size with 0.002” shoulder bump with expander ball removed
3. Run through a Sinclair expander mandrel die to set neck tension to 0.001”

Of course this isn’t necessary for “just hunting ammo” but I find this works my brass as minimally as possible and helps keep low ES/SD values. I trim my brass using the Little Crow WFT which index’s off the shoulder of FL sized brass.

Last edited by woodson; 12/08/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.