Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JKB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have an X Bolt, stainless, stays in one of my trucks. Hadn't shot in a few months. The extractor is stuck in. I can shoot it, but won't throw. Can I drive one of the pins out that looks like it retains the extractor and spring? But may need further access in case it is really stuck. Left it soaking overnight in Kroil, tried vibrating it with air chisel, but won't shake loose...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JKB
I have an X Bolt, stainless, stays in one of my trucks. Hadn't shot in a few months. The extractor is stuck in. I can shoot it, but won't throw. Can I drive one of the pins out that looks like it retains the extractor and spring? But may need further access in case it is really stuck. Left it soaking overnight in Kroil, tried vibrating it with air chisel, but won't shake loose...

I have seen this happen at least once... There was a generation of A-Bolts (yes, I understand yours is an X) with little regard to metalurgy and if you show them to the ocean they seize. I have bashed A-Bolts a lot here and will leave it at that.

I would suggest it will take a serious breakdown and cleaning, perhaps it is beyond your skill set? Anyway, everything needs to be taken apart and examined to determine what needs to be done to stop the next seizure...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Keep the Kroil on it, eventually it will soak into the right spot. Try tapping the ejector further into the bolt to break it free.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kp321
Keep the Kroil on it, eventually it will soak into the right spot. Try tapping the ejector further into the bolt to break it free.
Yes, try that first - but just hold the punch a bit away from the ejector and use a small hammer to tap the punch onto the ejector.. Sometimes that works.. If that fails, and Kroil fails, next step might be ascertaining the diameter of the ejector and using an end mill to 'grab' it and spin.. That alone might free it up if the first stuff fails.. It's worked for me several times over the years.. Problem is, that takes either a mill/drill with a highly adjustable base along with a suitable vise to hold the bolt perfectly upright.....which may involve a trip to your local machine shop..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,626
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.