Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks ,
Today my wife and I are married 50 years .
As a gift she bought me a 10x42 Leica binocular . The purchase was made through Amazon . I don't see anything about a dealer on the box or in the instructions .
The instruction booklet shows a German address for repair , however the web site gives an address in Allendale , New Jersey .
Pretty much the same price wherever you go for these binoculars . No one had them in stock when these were purchased and the ad showed only 2 left in stock . Does anyone use a Noctivid in 10X42 ? What are the pros / cons ? I'm a tree stand hunter in PA / Southern NJ for deer . The farm in NJ has fields over 260 yds long and about 150 wide , plus woods . Same situation in PA .
Should I be concerned about warrenty / repair issues having to be sent to Germany ?

Thank you in advance for your time , help and consideration .
Semper Fi
Soup

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What a nice gift!

I far and away prefer the 8x42 but not everyone feels the same. The 8x42 Noctivid, to my eyes, is the finest binocular made. Were it me, I'd send them back and buy from a dealer with a USA warranty (B&H or Camerland are my fave's). On Monday you could call Leica in NJ and they could tell you by the serial number if they're a USA or EU warrantied product.

For PA I'd go 8x42. For here in MT I'd go 8x42...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have the same binocs, Noctovid 10x42, I use them in the east and west, the best binoc $$ can buy to my eyes as well. Good advice to understand your warranty. Enjoy!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats on the bins.. Brad gave solid advice.

Ain’t nothin beats Leicas in my opinion on glass.

Semper Fidelis back at ya!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Congrats on the 50 years!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For my eyes, Noctivids are the best binos made,

A hell of a present!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congratulations on 50 years of marriage and an excellent gift.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Brad
What a nice gift!

I far and away prefer the 8x42 but not everyone feels the same. The 8x42 Noctivid, to my eyes, is the finest binocular made. Were it me, I'd send them back and buy from a dealer with a USA warranty (B&H or Camerland are my fave's). On Monday you could call Leica in NJ and they could tell you by the serial number if they're a USA or EU warrantied product.

Never looked thru a pair of that particular model but the reviews are outstanding.

I believe 6ave is a grey market dealer so I would do what Brad suggested first. If they are then return them and buy from camera land.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
What a nice gift!

Good point about buying from a US Leica retailer. if you do not you may not have the Leica passport warranty that is only honored for the original purchaser, and not
transferable.

That means you may be SOL, as in no warranty, and have to pay for any repairs yourself.

I also would not buy any quality optics from Amazon, it must have been an Amazon seller, so check that out.

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Guys ,
I contacted Leica after giving them the serial number they told me it was a USA warranty item .
Also emailed "Leica SF " ( Leica San Francesco ) Sunday , they also responded that it was a USA market item . Then I called Leica SF today and had a lengthy conversation , again all the information matches .
You now email Leica and they give you instructions to register the binoculars , no more certificates , everything that can be hand eliminated is in effect , and I was told the registration goes to Leica in Germany . I'm relieved !!!!

Poured rain here all day . I've got a buck tag , tomorrow afternoon I'll be in my stand about 1430 and can't wait to try my new binos . Wednesday is snow , the savage 220 is waiting to bark .

Now I need to find a nice harness for the Lecia's

Thank you to all for your time and help .
Soup

Last edited by Soup; 12/14/20.
IC B3

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Bad News
The owner of Leica SF contacted Leica , Germany and they informed him that serial number is grey market from Cyprus !!
My wife received return authorization with a RA# ,and shipped them back today.
Next purchase will be from an authorized dealer
Soup

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Give Doug a call.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by handwerk
Give Doug a call.

100 %

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get the 8x42’s... brighter, less shake, and an easier, more relaxed view.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We actually have a demo 10x42 Noctivid coming in from Leica USA with a Leica 10 year warranty for only $1999.99. If you're interested give us a call

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Absolutely you should call Doug or Neil at Cameraland. Excellent prices, fast service, very knowledgeable and honest. I got a pair of the previous model, Leica Ultravid, there.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Brad ,
Thank you for your information .
Since I have to order / buy a new binocular ,why the 8X42 vs 10X42 ? I'm sure there are several reasons ,I'm not a bino guru .
Please spell it out . I'm not a spring chicken , came home from the war in 1970 so you can kind of figure when my bones fall .
Thank you once .
Soup

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Congrats on 50 years! I don't know from Leica, but in any you have to be able to hold them still enough to see the extra detail higher magnification shows. I personally can't hold 10x still enough.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gentleman,
Still waiting for the refund from Amazon .
However I just noticed a new binocular from Swarovski , NL Pure, 8x42 .
It’s a little more $$ but not that much . Review I read was good with a large FOV .
I have zero allegiance to either brand , but I’d like to hear from anyone that has them , or both pros and cons of Leica and Swaravski . I’m speaking of customer service etc .
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Soup

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Soup
Gentleman,
Still waiting for the refund from Amazon .
However I just noticed a new binocular from Swarovski , NL Pure, 8x42 .
It’s a little more $$ but not that much . Review I read was good with a large FOV .
I have zero allegiance to either brand , but I’d like to hear from anyone that has them , or both pros and cons of Leica and Swaravski . I’m speaking of customer service etc .
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Soup

Here's a link to a thread earlier on 'em.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15533022/swarovski-nls#Post15533022

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,589
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.