Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Just had this conversation with a good friend.
The Winchester M51 Imperial S/N 1 is actually the World’s first factory produced 270 (chambered for the experimental 27 Cal). Winchester M54 S/N 4 (first three M54’s were chambered for the 30 GOV’T’06) was the World’s first factory produced 270 W.C.F. in 1925.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by boliep

I think Carmichal was told so many times that he was not as good as O'Connor as a writer or hunter that he hated the man and his favorite cartridge. Since he could not write negatively about O'Connor as a person, he decided to write about what a bad cartridge the 270 was.

That could very well be......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just had this conversation with a good friend.
The Winchester M51 Imperial S/N 1 is actually the World’s first factory produced 270 (chambered for the experimental 27 Cal). Winchester M54 S/N 4 (first three M54’s were chambered for the 30 GOV’T’06) was the World’s first factory produced 270 W.C.F. in 1925.

Cool info. I didn't know that.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
To all the above good info I would add that a .277 caliber cartridge made good marketing sense as well. A brand new caliber (not just cartridge) would pique shooters' interest and generate magazine articles promoting the cartridge and the new Model 54, all of which would lead to more rifle sales. That the 270 caliber was uniquely American (as far as most shooters knew) would have helped sell more rifles too, more than a 7mm-06 cartridge would anyway. Maybe, at least in part, the origin of the 270 was in Winchester's marketing department and not just the ballistics lab.

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I think Carmichal was told so many times that he was not as good as O'Connor as a writer or hunter that he hated the man and his favorite cartridge. Since he could not write negatively about O'Connor as a person, he decided to write about what a bad cartridge the 270 was.

Very likely, since it is always hard to follow a legend. Even if the replacement is good at what he/she does, he/she probably won't ever measure up in the eyes of the fans. Sort of like when Murcer succeeded Mantle.

I wonder if the lack of competition/match/target bullets in 0.277" might be a contributing factor to its lack of success outside of the hunting realm.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Very likely, since it is always hard to follow a legend. Even if the replacement is good at what he/she does, he/she probably won't ever measure up in the eyes of the fans. Sort of like when Murcer succeeded Mantle.

I wonder if the lack of competition/match/target bullets in 0.277" might be a contributing factor to its lack of success outside of the hunting realm.

I think that may be right. Jim, was trying to swim in O'Connor wake... O'Connor, was a great story teller with just enough loonie thrown in to capture a large audience base. His articles were the first things I'd read when the new Outdoor Life would hit the stands.

The lack of competition grade .277 bullets would no doubt hamper any interest in using it outside of hunting...imo...

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Never had a 270win but theres now one actually in route to my FFL at this very moment. I grew up in Idaho never owning one, but reading all about it and that Jack O'conner character. I never disliked any cartridge but i really did get tired of hearing about Jack O'conner all the time and got tired of him coming up all the time. I suspose the JOC part is what indidnt care for. Probably a case of exposure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shaman
I have a question for y'all regarding 270 Winchester. ... I know the brass came from the 30-03, ...

Shaman-
How do you know the brass was derived from the .330-03?

Jack O'Connor wrote that it was derived from the .30-06. Who would know better?

--Bob

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BullShooter
I have a question for y'all regarding 270 Winchester. ... I know the brass came from the 30-03, ...

Shaman-

--Bob

In this case, it would be Shaman. A matter of case length. The 270 and 30-03 share the same length dimension. The '06 is .05" shorter.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by BullShooter

Shaman-

--Bob

The length of the 270 Winchester case is 2.540", the same length as the 30-03. The case length of the 30-06 Springfield 2.484". This may be the reason that people believe that the 270 Winchester was derived from the 30-03 case. It doesn't really matter because Winchester was capable of manufacturing brass cartridges in any length they wanted to.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SU35
Why .277 and not .280 or .275 etc.

Winchester for whatever reason, maybe because it's a truer 7mm, went with the Chinese 7mm .277 based on the 1907 Mauser that was adopted by China and was originally chambered in a 6.8 caliber cartridge, some sources say 6.8 x 57.

And yes, they were in a speed race with Newton's 256 and wanted to market a cartridge that would compete.

This is the story I've always heard about the beginnings of the .270 Win.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

One thing that always puzzled me about Carmichel's dislike of the .270 and picking the .280 as "his round" is that for many years his articles mentioned using 140-grain Partitions in the .280. Any difference in performance between that and 130-150 grain Partitions in the .270 is so small to be just about imaginary.. I know that from hunting with both cartridges considerably.

I started doing more gun writing in the late 1980s and early 1990s, after establishing a career writing about various other subjects, mostly hunting and fishing but also Western history. I got to know Jim pretty well over the years, both due to going on "industry" hunting trips together for animals from prairie dogs to big game, and seeing him at various shows like SHOT. But never did get up enough nerve to ask him about the .270/.280 thing....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

One thing that always puzzled me about Carmichael's dislike of the .270 and picking the .280 as "his round" is that for many years his articles mentioned using 140-grain Partitions in the .280. Any difference in performance between that and 130-150 grain Partitions in the .270 is so small to be just about imaginary--as would be stepping up to the 160 Partition. I know that from hunting with both cartridges considerably.

I started doing more gun writing in the late 1980s and early 1990s, after establishing a career writing about various other subjects, mostly hunting and fishing but also Western history. I got to know Jim pretty well over the years, both due to going on "industry" hunting trips together for animals from prairie dogs to big game, and seeing him at various shows like SHOT. But never did get up enough nerve to ask him about the .270/.280 thing....

Wonder if that was just an effort to pick something different than the 270, since it’s been championed by JOC, maybe he felt like he’d leave his mark with the 280.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My half baked theory about that .277 dimension is that it was a screwed up communication between their engineering department and the tool room. "Hey guys let's give the new rifle a .277 bore diameter", and it was misconstrued to mean groove diameter. (.276-.277" being bore diameter for 7mm.) That's my story and I'm sticking with it, haha!😀

Perhaps Carmichel was simply ahead of the whole faux-gay .270 banter?😁 He probably had a half dozen of them in his safe. "Hey Jim, whatcha carrying today?" "Uh, .280. Yeah, that's what it is. Yep."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Memory being what it is as we get older...

I recall reading years ago an article regarding the origin of the .270. I had always thought it came from Ken Waters, but I have a lot of his stuff and I sure don't see it there, or anywhere else I have looked. Maybe somebody who knows for sure different can sure speak up.

Here is the gist of what I remember. Winchester was looking at the 250/300 Savage. They decided 3,000 fps was a good place to be, but it need to be attained with a more substantial bullet than an 87 gr .250 bullet. They decided that a sectional density of close to .250 was needed. They wanted to use 30-06 class brass since no new case needed to be designed. They then went to the currently available powders and concluded that a 140 gr .280 bullet would not get 3,000 fps. Available smaller caliber bullets needed slower powders to do that. They decided after some engineering and testing that a bullet of .277 diameter weighing 130 grains could be given 3,000 fps with powders in those days. Ten grains more bullet in the 140/280 was just enough too heavy I guess.

During the research they found nothing commercially available of that dimension. I recall nothing about Chinese 6.8x57's, but Winchester could be logically assumed to know about them, I suppose. Anyway, I seems that this would have given Winchester a marketing leg up, because the greater shooting public would have no knowledge of any old Chinese Mauser's. I do not recall a reference to the .256 Newton in this piece, but it sure seems logical it was on Winchesters mind. Their goal as described in that article would have been something like, the magical 3,000 fps with enough bullet for all around big game that had the commercial backing of a company capable of mass producing and marketing it, and had just released a new rifle that could fire it. They just so happened to have a brand new cartridge for their brand new rifle. It also avoided unpopular metric designations of 6.5 and 7 mm.

As I said reliance memory can be fickle. I freely admit I have not seen that since I read it many years ago.

Last edited by SteveC99; 12/14/20.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
first i wanna say John Barsness is my favorite gun writer and he has helped many of us on campfire with our questions with some always good answers . i hunted with a great man who is no longer with us who worked for Federal Cartridge for 40 years his name was Jonny Bell a engineer/manager/machinist , his uncle started with Federal when this ammo company started Marcy Bell . here`s the story i was told 30-40 years ago by Jonny Bell > the 7mm / .284 bullet was developed overseas and yes its a great bullet, but American engineers ,ammo ,gun manufactures and some others were too proud to except the 7mm bullet and as Americans we developed our own bullet size .277/270 . Jonny Bell always hunted with a 270 Win. but always said American`s were foolish to develop /engineer the .277/270 bullet also.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think Carmichael resented that he was never beloved like O'Connor was and he took it out on the 270

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by moosemike

I think Carmichael resented that he was never beloved like O'Connor was and he took it out on the 270

AGREED X2

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
first i wanna say John Barsness is my favorite gun writer and he has helped many of us on campfire with our questions with some always good answers . i hunted with a great man who is no longer with us who worked for Federal Cartridge for 40 years his name was Jonny Bell a engineer/manager/machinist , his uncle started with Federal when this ammo company started Marcy Bell . here`s the story i was told 30-40 years ago by Jonny Bell > the 7mm / .284 bullet was developed overseas and yes its a great bullet, but American engineers ,ammo ,gun manufactures and some others were too proud to except the 7mm bullet and as Americans we developed our own bullet size .277/270 . Jonny Bell always hunted with a 270 Win. but always said American`s were foolish to develop /engineer the .277/270 bullet also.

There was nothing "foolish" about developing a .277" bullet

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I read some time back about a German cartridge called the (6.8 Nueber?) that for all intents and purposes was the .270 but, I cannot find it or references to it. I thought I read it here on the 'fire. Maybe I'm just getting old enough where my rememberer isn't remembering anymore.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 16gage, 19rabbit52, 61 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,644
Posts18,512,428
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.