Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've got a Lyman All American 2.5X with a post and crosshair reticle on one of my 99's. I like it for the dense woods that I hunt in.

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by spence1875
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
They’re good for killing stuff.

This. Same for the #4 reticle.

Which is my favorite hunting reticle.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
seems like everyone likes them for dark timer and low light situations, wouldn't a lit dot be way better for said situation?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I opted for the HD reticle on my 2.5x scout scope.on a Savage model 10 scout rifle. It is a nice setup and I shoot with both eyes open. Only one person that has shot the rifle has did not car for the set up. It is fast and instinctive to shoot. It is paper plate accurate at 300 yards. The lower part of the reticle being the hold at 300 yards. I have not hunted with the rifle. Shotgun only in my county of Maryland but I would love to hunt with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by passport
seems like everyone likes them for dark timer and low light situations, wouldn't a lit dot be way better for said situation?
That lit dot is a pretty good solution. I use a Leupold VX-R 4X12 and that little dot on the lowest setting is the ticket at dark + 30 minutes.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The original post & duplex is like a #1 to where the duplex crosses horizontally and stays thin to the top and the side bars are like a duplex. Best of both styles for my hunting.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by passport

It’s certainly a solution, and I have them on several hunting scopes. They do require batteries, weigh more, and ensuring your setting isn’t so bright you can’t see the target in low light.....so, not sure they’re ‘better’ than a really heavy reticle, but they can be nice for having a thin reticle AND being able to use it in low light.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes speed matters more than precision.

Sometimes being able to see the reticle at all trumps that.

Heavy Duplex, #4’s

And I’m starting to get the hang of the trijicon triangle also.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm sure the lit dots are fine, but haven't been interested in a scope that relies on a battery. That's just me, so I prefer to get a scope with heavier reticles when that's an option.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's one of the all-time great reticle designs.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have them on both my 375s (leupolds 1.75X6X32). Not only do they enhance acquisition in low light, but it really helps me focus. But yes they make it tougher to sight in..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The VX-R Firedot Duplex is pretty darn good. Just a bit more bold than a Duplex (iirc) and etched goodness, plus you have the dot when desired. With Leupold's excellent execution of the automatic on/off, the battery life is fantastic. I think I would choose it over the HD now, although I mostly use other things.

Back in the day, I hunted brush exclusively and a HD 1.5-5x20 was pretty handy. Currently only have one Heavy Duplex, a shotgun 1-4x20 on an AR carbine. I think about moving it, but, it's near perfect for it.

Pretty much given up on the company looking ahead.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Lucas1
As a friend of mine says, they're made for killin critters. I have four Leupolds with them and I really like them. They're really good for dusk and dawn hunting sitiations. Also when your eyes get older you'll appreciate them more.

I concur. If you're trying to shoot the eye out of a prairie dog at 500 yards maybe not your first choice. But if trying to stick one in a deer's boiler room at 100 yards, they work fantastic.

I agree, we don't have prairie dogs in our part of the country. We hunt in a lot of timber and pine thickets where 100 yards is a long shot.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have them on both my 375s (leupolds 1.75X6X32). Not only do they enhance acquisition in low light, but it really helps me focus. But yes they make it tougher to sight in..

Using a target made to fit the reticle makes this a non issue.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a couple of the Leupold Freedom 1 1/2 -4 with the PigPlex .I really like them.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mathman

I use 3" orange or green stick on dots on Thompson Target 19"x25" sight in targets. I get five targets on one sheet. This works great for my thick reticles. I use small stick on dots for my varmint rifle scopes.

https://www.thompsontarget.com/scope-3-paper-alignment-sight-in-shooting-targets-19x25/

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

I use them. Like with MOA lines on the target.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shot with a Heavy Duplex..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buddy inherited a rifle from an Uncle with a heavy duplex early 2000's vintage Leupold on it. It isnt much for target shooting but In my opinion it shows up way way better in low light that a fine duplex. Its perfectly fine for hunting and he's taken several good whitetails with it in a thick swamp. His secret guaranteed public land buck spot for rifle season. In 20 years hes never went in there and not come out with a buck. Even in late season. But its a place that you have to WANT IT to trudge back into.

Last edited by k20350; 12/15/20.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They sure worked good in Northern Minnesota Swamps, as the sun is dropping like a brick.....

If got several Leupolds, with Heavy Duplex, # 4 and # 1 German reticles also....

The German # 1 is actually an alternative for shooting ground squirrels, over say a target dot..

Upper half makes a good thing for field of view, when you have running squirrels, who stop on a dime...to stand and look around.
That's when you pull the trigger... take longer to describe it than it does to happen...

Quick target acquisition....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 257Ackley, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 3,698 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,641
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.