Print Thread
Hop To
H
howard1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
When Winchester made the bad primers a few years back did this also include he small rifle and pistol primers or just the large rifle. thanks

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't know but recently I have encountered several bricks of Win SRPs that will not feed through the primer feed tube of my Dillon 650.
Appears that they are slightly bigger in diameter than normal.
They will go through the pickup tubes used to load the tube on the press, but once it press they get stuck.
Real pain in the arse to have to keep taking the primer feed mechanism off the press and tab out a primer stuck in the tube.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

To the best of my knowledge the issue was only with the LRPs.
They gave me 5k of the new generation and they have not had the pin hole
burn thru the old ones had. They do seem to be a tad smaller and go into
the primer pockets quite easily. The old ones were the brand to go to
when the pps loosened up a bit.
Just my 2 cents.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester bought back my primers, which left me short because they were hard to find back then. Both large and small. Rifle to my knowledge. It appeared to be mostly large rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not only did they buy mine back at a good price, the incident prompted me to secure a supply of good ones, which is why I’m well-fixed now.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There never was a problem with any Winchester primers except the large rifles, which for a while had cups that tended to split on the sides, which resulted in gas leaking around the edges.

The "problem" was exacerbated because for quite a while Winchester refused to acknowledge it--until it became obvious it was widespread.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I do remember there was an issue, but many years ago. I have a bit of them and in today's situation I would image they are about gold.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
winchester primers just seem to fall in to a lot of pockets on my reloads really loose compared to cci and federal

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Of course, Federal, CCI and Remington primers are silver.. Happy to have what I need no matter the color of the primer.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by gene270
winchester primers just seem to fall in to a lot of pockets on my reloads really loose compared to cci and federal

I did a BUNCH of research on primer size (and composition) not too long ago, which is a major chapter in my first BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK.

The fact is is that while primers do vary a little in dimensions, they don't vary as much as primer pockets--even though those are supposedly similar in size, according to SAAMI (and CIP European) dimensions.

I would guess the major reason some primers don't match some primer pockets is the old tradition of adding powder to handloads until the rounds show "pressure signs."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Geez John, that hurts.

"I would guess the major reason some primers don't match some primer pockets is the old tradition of adding powder to handloads until the rounds show "pressure signs.""

Always appreciate your knowledge and ability to cut to the quick.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was loading for a .300 Win Mag, I was using RWS brass and Fed primers. The RWS brass had really tight pockets and I could feel the primer "snap" into place. I use a RCBS bench top primer tool.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There never was a problem with any Winchester primers except the large rifles, which for a while had cups that tended to split on the sides, which resulted in gas leaking around the edges.

The "problem" was exacerbated because for quite a while Winchester refused to acknowledge it--until it became obvious it was widespread.

I had two perforations with Winchester LRM (magnum) primers. Winchester did replace them with a new lot for me.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I did a BUNCH of research on primer size (and composition) not too long ago, which is a major chapter in my first BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK.

The fact is is that while primers do vary a little in dimensions, they don't vary as much as primer pockets--even though those are supposedly similar in size, according to SAAMI (and CIP European) dimensions.

I would guess the major reason some primers don't match some primer pockets is the old tradition of adding powder to handloads until the rounds show "pressure signs."

I thought I'd over cooked my 308 brass because my unplated Winchester primers were a loose fit, but the primers were undersized - CCI and Federal fit the same cases as tight as you'd expect. (Those cases continued on to live a normal life until they died of a split neck.)

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 12/17/20.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A few years ago the

When I started using WLR primers they were easier to load in the primer pocket of once fired factory loads and fresh brass than CCI or Federal (not that those two were hard.) It was like they weren't even there. This didn't bother me since they all worked and never backed out or fell out. With the most recent ones they feel like the CCI and Federal primers, so I am guessing they are larger.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (257 roberts, 257_X_50, 21, ak_Rick, 2ndwind, 6 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,017
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.