Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by jorgeI

There are some who tell us it's "Excalibur-like" qualities render all other calibers obsolete and we are idiots for not worshipping on the "Creedmoor altar."

I haven't run into any of those people. In fact, have mentioned before that I haven't yet run into one of the Creedmoor advocates that somehow seem to annoy other people. Instead I keep running into those who say it has no point, because the 6.5x55 or .260 (or both) do the "same things."

+1

And while my experience is limited to sub-2000 lbs game animals, I agree with MD that within reason calibers and cartridges tend to kill critters about the same if the bullet hits the right place with enough speed to expand and enough integrity to reach the vitals. The more animals I’ve seen killed with rifles bullets over the years, the less evidence I see to support the “if it recoils more, it kills better” hypothesis. Maybe that line of thinking becomes more and more accurate as the size of animal goes further and further north of 2000 lbs, I don’t know, but somehow I doubt it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is an article in an older Gun Digest (from the 70's maybe?) by Jack O'Connor titled something like "It's Where You Hit'em, Not What you Hit'em With".

Apparently this has to be relearned or re-emphasized every 5 years or it somehow becomes invalid...

Ya know, that advice might provide a good signature line: "Strike the target accurately, other factors pale in significance."

That's kind of dry, maybe something a bit more pithy? Hmmm, I'll work on this and see what I come up with. whistle

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Switch
[ Done! I don't think there'd be a whole lot of difference with a 140 grain bullet at 2750 FPS.

In my experience with the Creedmoor (and .260 and 6.5x55) with high-BC bullets, compared to the .270 with standard spitzers, there's no difference, partly because the high-BC bullets start catching up as soon as they leave the muzzle. And a 140 at 2750 at the muzzle is plenty for deer at closer ranges anyway.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Switch
[ Done! I don't think there'd be a whole lot of difference with a 140 grain bullet at 2750 FPS.

In my experience with the Creedmoor (and .260 and 6.5x55) with high-BC bullets, compared to the .270 with standard spitzers, there's no difference, partly because the high-BC bullets start catching up as soon as they leave the muzzle. And a 140 at 2750 at the muzzle is plenty for deer at closer ranges anyway.

My loads in the 270 with 150 Noslers are about 2875 FPS so at ranges I limit myself to there is little difference, between the two cartridges. Advantage, goes to the Creedmoor as it can be used on a short action, if that really makes a difference. I have both a 6.5, and a 270. If it comes down to it and I have to sell the 6.5 goes, not that the 270 is better, just like the rifle I've had for years.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Last issue of Shooting times has an article on the Ruger African Express in 6.5x55 by Joeseph Von Benedict he was loading the Swede with 140 npt's at 2888fps in his Ruger, that is formidable better than the creed or 260 within spitting distance of the prc and 264 win mag. I do believe he was using RL -16, lapua brass, federal GM 215's damned if I won't try that myself in my featherweight. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Last issue of Shooting times has an article on the Ruger African Express in 6.5x55 by Joeseph Von Benedict he was loading the Swede with 140 npt's at 2888fps in his Ruger, that is formidable better than the creed or 260 within spitting distance of the prc and 264 win mag. I do believe he was using RL -16, lapua brass, federal GM 215's damned if I won't try that myself in my featherweight. Mb

With R-26, the same can be done in the CM. You have to want it, though.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The difference in powder room between the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x55 is about 7%, give or take a little depending on brass thickness. This means a difference in potential muzzle velocity of about 1.75%--approximately 50 fps in loads getting around 2800 fps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll admit to having bought a 6.5CM. It was available in the rifle I wanted (Tikka LH), at the price I wanted, and this is the first rifle I have ever bought where I did not buy a set of loading dies first. There's an insane variety of loaded ammo available, and everything I have tried is as accurate as I can shoot anymore.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that this rifle doesn't worry me as far as recoil. I may be recoil sensitive, certainly not a big fan of muzzle blast. But, wouldn't you know it, I actually like shooting this thing. And that cheap Hornady ammo punched through a mulie with hardly any bloodshot meat, even when hitting a shoulder on the way in.

So, available, inexpensive, consistently accurate, good performance on game and easy to shoot. Not sure why anyone would be surprised it is popular?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'll admit to having bought a 6.5CM. It was available in the rifle I wanted (Tikka LH), at the price I wanted, and this is the first rifle I have ever bought where I did not buy a set of loading dies first. There's an insane variety of loaded ammo available, and everything I have tried is as accurate as I can shoot anymore.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that this rifle doesn't worry me as far as recoil. I may be recoil sensitive, certainly not a big fan of muzzle blast. But, wouldn't you know it, I actually like shooting this thing. And that cheap Hornady ammo punched through a mulie with hardly any bloodshot meat, even when hitting a shoulder on the way in.

So, available, inexpensive, consistently accurate, good performance on game and easy to shoot. Not sure why anyone would be surprised it is popular?

Because people are always looking for a reason to yell "Get off my lawn..." they think it makes them look wise and a "loveable old curmudgeon".

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There is an article in an older Gun Digest (from the 70's maybe?) by Jack O'Connor titled something like "It's Where You Hit'em, Not What you Hit'em With".

Apparently this has to be relearned or re-emphasized every 5 years or it somehow becomes invalid...

Ya know, that advice might provide a good signature line: "Strike the target accurately, other factors pale in significance."

That's kind of dry, maybe something a bit more pithy? Hmmm, I'll work on this and see what I come up with. whistle

As I have tried to explain to elk hunting clients in the past; Shoot them in the front half, and let a stout hunting bullet do the rest..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shoulda' seen what my Tikka 6.5CM and 139 Scenar did to a really nice muley buck a few days ago. I love the freaking thing.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
[ As I have tried to explain to elk hunting clients in the past; Shoot them in the front half, and let a stout hunting bullet do the rest..........

Comments from both Eileen and D'Arcy Echols' wife Rebecca were combined a while back into: "Pointy end forward and shoot 'em in the front half."

Pointy-end forward is from Rebecca, which refers to how to load the magazine.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

None of this is true!

Everyone knows you can’t “knock down” an elk unless you wear a flat-brim hat and shoot a .300 RUM. 😄

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

None of this is true!

Everyone knows you can’t “knock down” an elk unless you wear a flat-brim hat and shoot a .300 RUM. 😄

There is an easy trick that I can't believe more guys haven't figured out. Have your barrel stamped with something scary huge, and then watch the animals fall down. I wrote 505 Gibbs with a sharpie on a 243 this past season, and the animals scarcely took a step. Just boom and down. Probably work even better if you stamped it on. That 6.5 CM can be a 300 RUM in minutes....

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is there a way to put 6.5 Creedmoor on ignore?

Asking for a friend....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I admit I have never owned a 6.5, but if I were going to purchase a 6.5 rifle it would be a Mannlicher Shoenauer 6.5x 54. The original. I must admit that the Creedmoor is very accurate but then I shoot for meat not for groups. I get my rush from getting as close to my quarry as I can before shooting. If I were forced to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor with wood stock it would be a Mossberg Patriot Revere model.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (2500HD, 808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 12 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.