Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Considering 92.6% of people who have served in the navy last 50yrs were/are navy seals. You probably won’t get an answer.

I was just a poor lowly Corpsman.

Jim

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by texasbatman
Originally Posted by 79S
Considering 92.6% of people who have served in the navy last 50yrs were/are navy seals. You probably won’t get an answer.

Jim

+1
Love my HM rated peeps!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jim

[Linked Image from navycs.com]
Aviation Springs Mechanic? grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Think of it as a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) in the Marine Corps, but starting with the E4 paygrade in the Navy. Not sure what the Army calls a "job description" which is a very civilian-esqe description of rate. Rank can be equated to paygrade, like E1, E2, E3 . . . E9. Rates are earned starting at the "Petty Officer" paygrade/rank of E4, 3rd Class Petty Officer. Here is a link to a more thorough description of rank/rate: https://www.navycs.com/enlistedmilitaryranks.html

Army uses MOS as well.

Originally Posted by deltakid
If I remember correctly, Camp Farragut was the Naval Training Facility located on Lake Pend Oreille here in the pacific northwest, just north of Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. There are still some remnants of the facility, and the local public TV station has done a pretty interesting special on it in the recent past.

That was World War 2, that camp wasn't set up until 1942. State park for the last 50 years, I think. Apparently there was an earlier Camp Farragut north of Chicago during WWI, I don't know that it lasted much past the end of that war.

1918 view of Great Lakes Camp Farragut

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Jim

[Linked Image from navycs.com]
Aviation Springs Mechanic? grin

In all honesty and levity, I fully expect the new woke Navy eventually to change the Corpsman insignia, at the first complaint from a democrat virtue signaler, who complains about the Biblical reference to the serpents on a staff healing the Israelites who looked upon it.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd say Camp Farragut is nowadays Great Lakes Naval Training Center, just North of Chicago, as the picture above notes. I used to get my haircuts there back in the early 80's, when I was stationed just South of there at Ft Sheridan (near Highland Park). I am surprised no Navy folk here took their Basic training there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 79S

Jim

One of your brothers saved my life.I am eternally grateful to Navy Corpsman.Carry on Doc!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dom
I'd say Camp Farragut is nowadays Great Lakes Naval Training Center, just North of Chicago, as the picture above notes. I used to get my haircuts there back in the early 80's, when I was stationed just South of there at Ft Sheridan (near Highland Park). I am surprised no Navy folk here took their Basic training there.

All Navy enlisted now do basic at Great Lakes. It's also where I went for mine.

I too had a rate, CTI. I too had friends who not only wore the Trident but they also made the men that would earn the right to wear it next to them.

Doesn't make me some sort of BA. Just a guy who knew a guy.

The OP said " I'm an army guy.. what rank would Gunnery Mate in WWI be comparable to?"

To which I said it was a job (MOS) , not a rank.(E1-E9).

Then the rest went sideways.

Me

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 79S

Funny. And I met a lot of snipers back from Viet Nam.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Dom, I believe you're right - been past it many times in the 2010 - 2015 time frame.
Just wish we'd been early enough, one year, to view their Fourth of July fireworks. I've heard - some of the best in the world !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal
All Navy enlisted now do basic at Great Lakes. It's also where I went for mine.

I too had a rate, CTI. I too had friends who not only wore the Trident but they also made the men that would earn the right to wear it next to them.

Doesn't make me some sort of BA. Just a guy who knew a guy.

The OP said " I'm an army guy.. what rank would Gunnery Mate in WWI be comparable to?"

To which I said it was a job (MOS) , not a rank.(E1-E9).

Then the rest went sideways.

Appreciate it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Gay Man. The book belonged to a gay man.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 007FJ
Originally Posted by 79S

Man I wish I could call BS on that.

My Company Commander in Boot Camp (DI for you uncivilized types) was a GMGC. Gunners Mate Gunners Chief (E-7). He started out as a River Boat Gunner in Vietnam. He was in charge of one set of the Big Guns on the New Jersey prior to screwing up our 8 weeks of fun in San Diego. His Cruise Book from the last Cruise was interesting. GMGC Bender led an interesting life. I can still hear him Ass Chewing...Guide, Guide.

I was an AT2...Aviation Electronics Tech 2nd Class Petty Officer (E-5). The rate is part of the title in the Navy. Instant classification of your background. The rank insignia for me for instance was an electron with a pair of wings.

Cool.

I refer to the ATs as "Avionics Technicians," which was pretty much the same thing I did, but I was a bit more specialized as an AX2 (Aviation Antisubmarine Warfare Technician). They did away with the AX and AQ rates and made them all ATs decades ago.

If you're anywhere near my age, I'll bet you did "A" School at NAS Memphis. The stories I could (and won't) tell!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 79S

Jim

Nothing “lowly” about that level of commitment! Hero is often overused but never when talking about “Docs”.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually when I was in the navy we would call that Gunners Mate Guns. The rating was diversified, guns, missiles, turrets and such. I understand they brought them back to a single rating.

I believe Gunners mate and Boatswain's mate are probably the two oldest rates in the navy.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting that video.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntz

One of your brothers saved my life.I am eternally grateful to Navy Corpsman.Carry on Doc!!!

Semper Fi Brother. Jim

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My son went into the Navy as a Gunners Mate.

There was not a lot of them left in the Navy then.

He soon became a SBC after his training.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was an HT, Hull Technician, sometimes called a turd chaser.

Last edited by Armednfree; 12/19/20.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 23 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.