Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
How about a $200 max price point? thanks

https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlo...0135-0439-00163ecd2826?variation=1628580

I've no experience with it, but that's what I'd try.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Leica 900 I bought used about a dozen years ago. I've never had a problem with it. It's technology is long in the tooth, by now, though.

The Leupold 2800 comes with a more powerful class 3 laser. I was easily ranging buildings out to 2900 yards with it while standing in the doorway of the Sportsman's Warehouse. The readout was a little hard to read against a light background, though. The scan function worked well, too.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
How about a $200 max price point? thanks

Hijacking the thread ????!!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For two hundred bucks, get the Athlon Doug recommends. I have one for a backup. All in all, it's a good unit and will do what you want.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
For two hundred bucks, get the Athlon Doug recommends. I have one for a backup. All in all, it's a good unit and will do what you want.

We only have 2 or 3 of the Athlon Midas Rangefinders left

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Szihn: I have bought 3 (three) Leica Laser Rangefinders and all worked/work very well indeed!
I sold the first one to a friend when they came out with longer ranging models - and he is as happy as a clam with it still.
In fact my Elk Hunting partner and I a few years back set up a 1,000 (one thousand) yard shooting range for his 338/378 Weatherby long range Elk Rifle.
We took a 100 foot steel tape and painstakingly walked off and staked out that 1,000 yard range. We stopped every 100 yards and ranged back to his shooting bench (his truck parked right at the shooting bench) and my Leica lasered right on (within + or - 1 yard!) all the way to 1,000 yards (3,000 feet!).
I was impressed.
I use mine Varminting and Big Game Hunting - no complaints to date.
I now have and have used the Leica 1200 (1,200 meters!) model.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Nikon 600. It ranged targets, trucks, and road signs at long distance, but would only range a coyote or mud covered pig to 400 yards. And I’m not talking 410 yards. Well, I occasionally had coyote shots out past 400, so after much research I bought Sig Kilo 1250. It was great on targets and shiny stuff, but was good to only about 400 on pigs and coyotes. More finicky than the Nikon. Sent it back and got a Leica 2000B. Love it. I’ve ranged deer in dim light to 800 yards. It might do better, but I haven’t seen a deer further away yet. It’ll range cows to 975 yards though, and maybe further.

So, all the hype about how far this or that RF will range doesn’t mean much to me unless we are talking about brown or black non-shiny things like deer, pigs, and coyotes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jordan--so what you are saying is that Leica' customer service is still a pain in the butt? I honestly think that if Doug quit running interference for Leica on warranty issues, Leica would have no customer service at all. I have used customer service from Leica, Vortex, and Athlon. Leica came up way short, Vortex and Athlon stepped up to the plate and gave really good service without any sort of hassle. YMMV.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan--so what you are saying is that Leica' customer service is still a pain in the butt? I honestly think that if Doug quit running interference for Leica on warranty issues, Leica would have no customer service at all. I have used customer service from Leica, Vortex, and Athlon. Leica came up way short, Vortex and Athlon stepped up to the plate and gave really good service without any sort of hassle. YMMV.

Leica's CS has improved greatly the past few years. As far as " I honestly think that if Doug quit running interference for Leica on warranty issues, Leica would have no customer service at all." there's nothing to worry about. I have a 2 year old so I'll be here at least another 19 years lol

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the Vortex Ranger 1800, and have used for approx 2 years.
Absolutely no complaints.... happy camper.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah, even with Doug and the Leica people working together, it was still sort of a hassle. Communication was sorely lacking and the repair took several months. Ultimately, everything was repaired and sorted out, but the experience (there were other issues prior to the warranty claim) left a bad taste. I have a couple of friends that purchased the same Geovid from Doug at my recommendation, and they have had no ranging issues that I am aware of, even in very cold weather.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Our Artic light conditions make it tough for range finders, tried to get a range on caribou on a frozen lake last week and only got one range which was 200 yards off. Could not get a range till light
changed, Leica RF.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Leica's CS has improved greatly the past few years. As far as " I honestly think that if Doug quit running interference for Leica on warranty issues, Leica would have no customer service at all." there's nothing to worry about. I have a 2 year old so I'll be here at least another 19 years lol

Wish I had a nickle for every time I heard that improved Leica CS crap. I guess everyone on the planet's CS was fine except mine, Jordan's, and Sharpsguy's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leica.I’ve had two, a 16yo 1200 LRF, and my current, a 2000B. I’ve used mine against the Sig, and the Sig struggled to keep up, not being able to range some objects that were no problem for the Leica. Mine have been carried through a LOT of harsh conditions, and never a problem.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m not a vortex fan
But they are one of very few companies offering life time vs 1-5 years on electronics

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (2UP, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 3dtestify, 15 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,262
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.