Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
JoeBob, I agree that a heavy scope destroys the balance of a rifle. That's why I stick with the Meopros, 6x42, 3-9x42 and 3.5-10x44IR. The heaviest of the 3 is 16.7 ounces for the illuminated dot reticle version of the 3.5-10x44. Fine scopes they are. RJ

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The #4 and my favorite the #4A reticles on the Meopta are dandies, but I have no problem with the CDC or Duplex reticles either. My only con is the large Euro style ocular bell. I like more room for the bolt or to re-load a single shot. Swarovski got it pretty much right with the Z3s for the American market, wish others would too. I don't believe this is done much anymore but Continental hunters would not even mount the scope until they were on stand so the size, balance and weight were less critical. Many of these were 8x56mm scopes for twilight and after dusk shooting. Even though the fixed mounting is becoming the norm the size of the scopes has lagged behind.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Let's see, the Zeiss Conquest weighs in at 15 oz and the Meopta MeoPro 3-9 comes in at a whopping 15.9 oz. That is more of an apple to apple comparison and pretty much negates a reason to not get on the Meopta bandwagon. The MeoPro glass is a bit better than the Optika glass, that is why it is a bit more $. Yes, the Optika5 comes in at an even heavier weight class but it also gives you 5X zoom, so you sacrifice a little weight to get more magnification or you don't.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bman940
Let's see, the Zeiss Conquest weighs in at 15 oz and the Meopta MeoPro 3-9 comes in at a whopping 15.9 oz. That is more of an apple to apple comparison and pretty much negates a reason to not get on the Meopta bandwagon. The MeoPro glass is a bit better than the Optika glass, that is why it is a bit more $. Yes, the Optika5 comes in at an even heavier weight class but it also gives you 5X zoom, so you sacrifice a little weight to get more magnification or you don't.

And as I said in the post you apparently didn’t bother to read, the 3x9 seems to have been discontinued.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/produkt/meopro-3-9x40-13226/

Still on their website; you sure it has been discontinued?

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/produkt/meopro-3-9x40-13226/

Still on their website; you sure it has been discontinued?

There are none to be found anywhere and Eurooptic says they’ve been discontinued.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I live in Eastern Europe. A few months ago I bought a new Meopro 3-9x42. I had to look around quite a bit to find one. Optics Trade says the 3-9x42 has been discontinued. So possibly the it is the 3-9x42 that has been discontinued and the 3-9x40 is still being made for the NA market, Possibly. RJ

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ive had 3 :
Meostar 3-12x56 RD
Meopro 3-9x42 #4 reticle
3.5-10x44 RD meopro

The big Meo was a beast. Big bright image. Ended up selling cuz it was really more scope than i need and wanted to keep the rifle light

The meopro 3-9x42 is probably the best scope ive ever owned. Plenty bright and easy to get behind and i am partial to the #4 reticle

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes, The entire MeoPro line is being discontinued. They can still be found if you search hard enough and from all the guys I get contacting me, there are a lot who love that scope. AK, Thank you for the correction. I have one on a 22LR and love it, so much brighter and better edge to edge clarity than all of my Philippine-made scopes.

Last edited by bman940; 12/23/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So, they are discontinuing their best line and will offer more 20 ounce turds with magnification no one needs. Like I said, there are fewer and fewer scopes I will even consider these days because they are just too damned big and heavy.

All this tactical and long range crap is the worst thing to ever happen to the optics industry.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/23/20.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by JoeBob
So, they are discontinuing their best line and will offer more 20 ounce turds with magnification no one needs. Like I said, there are fewer and fewer scopes I will even consider these days because they are just too damned big and heavy.

All this tactical and long range crap is the worst thing to ever happen to the optics industry.

Its bad for me and perhaps for many hunters where most shots are 200 yds or less, but its great for the industry. People are convinced that they need a $1200 scope to shoot 100yds with their AR or $500 hunting rifle.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by noKnees
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Its bad for me and perhaps for many hunters where most shots are 200 yds or less, but its great for the industry. People are convinced that they need a $1200 scope to shoot 100yds with their AR or $500 hunting rifle.

I was out Sunday regularly ringing steel out to 600 yards with a Leupold VX2 2x7 with a LR duplex. It’s adequate. Can’t someone make something more like that with absolute top quality glass? Why do you need 5-15x? Don’t get me wrong, preferences are preferences and anyone can do what they like. I get it. But damn, I just wish there were more choices in small lightweight scopes. I almost feel like I need to buy half a dozen of the smallest lightweight scopes I can find and stick them in the closet because they will likely be discontinued in a year or two and selling for $1,500 bucks on EBay.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/23/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Having hunted with the Optika5 scope I don't think you'll be disappointed by its features. I like the 2-10 and 3-15 configurations for a hunting rifle. For those concerned about weight, they come in around 20 oz which is very close to the norm for an optic with that magnification. Then add in the price and I think most hunters will be pleased. For those that aren't, there are hundreds of other options to choose from out there. You can't always please everyone, but I think the Optika5 will be the right for many hunters.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bman940
Having hunted with the Optika5 scope I don't think you'll be disappointed by its features. I like the 2-10 and 3-15 configurations for a hunting rifle. For those concerned about weight, they come in around 20 oz which is very close to the norm for an optic with that magnification. Then add in the price and I think most hunters will be pleased. For those that aren't, there are hundreds of other options to choose from out there. You can't always please everyone, but I think the Optika5 will be the right for many hunters.

A 20 ounce scope is never “right”. There is also the matter of the abortion of an adjustment ring.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You're correct Bman940, you can't please everyone and I will never be pleased with a 20 oz. scope on a light sporting rifle. I started buying Meopta's because of Leupolds tracking inconsistencies and I was stretching my scope weight limit to do that. But because of all the redeeming qualities of the Meopro, I decided to go with them. But now, If Meopro will no longer be available to me, I will look for another brand for my needs. RJ

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
3-9x40/42 pop up used from time to time. Id like to snag a couple more just to have. I rarely move from 6x magnification. Funny most my friends buying up all these 5-15 or 6.5-20 vortex and whatever, shooting no more than 300 yards

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hit 12 inch steel the other day at 300 yards with a receiver sighted 30-30.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In previous years I had to hunt and shoot out to 600 yards.

But in 2020 the deer at 100 yards took 5 minutes to find. They were standing at the hay bales.

I shot 3.
My brother shot 5.

Dragging a deer 100 yards on snow was really easy too.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Dear Meopta,

There are thousands of us who used to really like and trust Leupold, but now they suck and have betrayed us with an untrustworthy product. We want you to build us scopes for hunting rifles that adjust accurately and hold zero, with low to mid-range power options, smaller objective and ocular lenses, appropriate sized adjustment rings, and enough tube to mount on a normal bolt action rifle. No such scope should weigh more than 13 oz at the most. Give us duplex, #4, and a simple dot reticle options. Do this and we will buy a lot of scopes from you.

I’d use a 20 ounce scope to keep my Halibut bait on the bottom long before I put it on any hunting rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only one Meopta a Artimes 1.5-6x40 w/German #1, other than being heavy it is an awesome a called coyote hunting scope. I put it on a heavy but little 6x45 that rides in a scabbard.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (6MMWASP, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 21 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,903
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.