Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It seems that some on this site have a near fanatical obsession with McMillans.

If you dare question them, you are merely a fool, and that's all that needs to be known. blush

Certain sites or groups tend to have their "niches". Here, it's McMillans and anything Ackley. AR it was big bores (and especially the 9.3x62), Tuffpaks, and Africa.

I've got a few McMillans, and to be honest, while they are a completely serviceable stock, am not overly impressed with them, especially at the price. Sure, they're a "quality" stock, but the finish seems to me at least to be less than top notch. The swirls especially have mold marks and what look like sanding marks all over them. Some of the sanding marks are heavier than others, random directions, etc. If you're going to charge me $400 for a stock, at least have a consistent finish on it. That's a big reason why I prefer a painted stock over their swirls.

The semantics that some like to quote are, in all reality, on a general use hunting rifle, meaningless. Strength? It's been a long time since I've dropped my rifle from a helicopter, and an even longer time since I broke a stock, even a wood one. Rigidity? If you're torqueing on a forend so hard while shooting that you can make a free floated HS or B&C or Brown Precision affect the barrel, you might want to look at your form, or admit that the rifle is in such a bind that your shot isn't gonna go where you want anyway.

Call me uninformed, stupid, or tell me "I just don't get it and never will...", but I just don't see McMillans as something to completely fawn over. A quality, do it all stock? Yes. The end-all, be-all, ignore all others? Nope. They certainly don't appear to be twice or three times better (although they cost that much more, and can go higher) than a lot of other stocks.

Flame on. cool

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ColdBore

Call me uninformed, stupid, or tell me "I just don't get it and never will...",

Okay, you are uninformed and just don't get it and never will! (I don't have the heart to call you stupid)

How about clueless? grin

MtnHtr

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
+1 ColdBore

I think McMillan stocks are very good. But there are a lot of others that offer great value at lower prices. My next stock will be from Joel Russo.

AG

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a lot of other stocks that are good value for the dollar ... however, if we're talking about which stock(s) are the 'best' ... most here are going to agree that McMillan owns that title ...

anyway, Joel is good people, and makes a good stock as well ... I assume you're getting one of his glue-lam stocks? If so, what style/pattern?

-WGM-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think alot of people have a problem with McMillan because of the prices. They start seeing "another gun" for that kinda money instead of a better stock for the gun they have already. If B&C were the same price as the McMillan we would not be discussing this right now. It all boils down to what you can spend and most people who don't own McMillans and are in the market for a stock try to "justify" their way out of buying one. Simply cause they don't want to spend that much money when it will buy them another cheapo rifle or they are too impatient to wait for one. They want it and want it now. 5 months isn't that bad to wait for a lifetime stock. Do it right the first time and you won't need to do it again. Do it cheap the first time and you spend twice as much getting it right later on.

I do think the whole McMillan "swirly thing" is ridiculous and absurd . This probably ruffles a few feathers, but it's so true. A top notch company should have a top notch camo option. Not some kindergarden fingerpainting job on a $3000 gun. You never know what you are gonna get and from what I've seen only about 1 in 15 or so actually look good. Stick with the solid colors or Take a look at www.camoent.com and you'll see what McMillan should be offering on their stocks for the kind of money they are charging.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by encorerb
It all boils down to what you can spend and most people who don't own McMillans and are in the market for a stock try to "justify" their way out of buying one. Simply cause they don't want to spend that much money when it will buy them another cheapo rifle or they are too impatient to wait for one.

Not exactly true.

I own five McMillans, and can "afford" more if I want them. I don't think they justify their prices (I got what I considered to be fair deals on the ones I have). The total cost doesn't scare me, I just don't think it's the best value for my money. A Brown Precision costs as much, and I'd much rather spend the money on one of those. My three go-to hunting rifles all wear Brown Precision stocks.

I don't buy "cheapo" rifles, or cut unnecessary corners. I do however think that the extra money spent on a McMillan can be better spent in other ways.

Impatient? Three of my McMillans don't even have actions in them, so I'm way "ahead" on the waiting game. smirk

I just choose to spend my money where I will, and McMillan is nowhere near the top of my priority list.

I do think the whole McMillan "swirly thing" is ridiculous and absurd ..... You never know what you are gonna get and from what I've seen only about 1 in 15 or so actually look good.

Agreed. I have one that I specifically ordered for a specific reason. Did my wait, opened the box, and was let down. Oh, it's not "bad", but not what I had imagined when I ordered it. If it wasn't for a pretty specific application (prone match shooting with a pre-64 M70 wearing a #7 Shilen barrel), it would be gone. I tried to sell it as soon as I got it, unused, but no luck. So, I put it on and use it. But every time I look at it, I get this little feeling deep down that it's not what I "wanted". frown

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by WGM
There are a lot of other stocks that are good value for the dollar ... however, if we're talking about which stock(s) are the 'best' ... most here are going to agree that McMillan owns that title ...

anyway, Joel is good people, and makes a good stock as well ... I assume you're getting one of his glue-lam stocks? If so, what style/pattern?

Not sure on the style yet, he has quite a selection now, and I am in the planning phases. I own McMillan, Sheehane, and HS Precision. As I mentioned McMillan makes a fine product, but there are other options just as good for less money, for my intended uses.

AG

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend that got a new McMillan stock and the sanding marks look terrible, I was surprised that McMillan let the stock leave it looks like total chit, in my opinion, for the money he spent on it, If the one I have ordered looks like his I will sell it that is for sure. I cant see putting all the money in custom rifle and then the stock looking like chit.

Last edited by BMD; 07/23/07.

Scott

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My first McMillan came to me looking like it was built by a bunch of Cubscouts. The sanding marks were horrible, the barrel channel was crooked, and there was a low spot in the channel that was down into the foam. Good thing McMillan has a 30 day return policy. I sent it back, and they made it right. It actually came back looking so good that I was not sure it was even the same stock. It was, and I wondered why they could not just send it out like that in the first place?

I have since ordered two more just because they are for Rugers, and I do like the custom options like camo. But...if they show up looking like crap, they will be sent back to be made right.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I happen to like the way McMillan stocks look ... the ones I have don't have heavy sanding marks, or mold lines that jump out at you. In fact, I've never thought about either of those things when looking at my stocks, or other McMillans ... perhaps I'm lucky that way?

While I can really appreciate a 'fine' rifle, that's finished all the way around as well as it can be ... but at least for now, I'm much more into the utilitarian thing. I want all the components of my rifles to be function first, looks second. Having said that, I think all my rifles are very handsome, because when I look at them, I see a good quality rifle, made of high quality parts, that will serve me well under any condition. THAT, is what is attractive to me.

If you're buying a McMillan, chances are you're not looking for the most handsome stock out there ... but instead, you're choosing a stock that is ready for heavy duty, should you encounter such circumstances that require it.

There are a lot of factors about any man's rifle that makes it a 'good rifle' ... looks are one of those qualities... However, as stated previously, I've never gawked at a rifle more than when it's performing to the highest degree ...

If you want the most handsome rifle to look at, get a great stock maker to build you a stock out of the finest piece of wood you can find - like CAS recently did. That's not to say it only looks good, and doesn't perform well... I'm just saying that McMillans goal doesn't seem to be making the most 'visually attractive' stock as it's first order of business. If you understand that, and it bothers you ... then maybe a McMillan isn't for you. If you understand that, and don't care, then McMillan makes the stock you likely want...

of course, YMMV

-WGM-
IC B3

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not saying I wanted the finest looking stock but it shouldnt come back looking like some two year old was playing with sandpaper on the stock, I have only seen this one stock that looked this way, I am just saying i was surprised to see it, and if i received one that looked like that i wouldnt want it. If I really cared about the way it looked probably would go with wood, but it doesnt have to look like chit either.

Scott

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The first thing I thought of when I opened the package on my first McMillan was, it was prehunted with (scratches etc) so that you would not worry about it in the woods, LOL.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No chit his looked like it was drug through a bunch of mesquite trees, works great looks like chit, I know works is more important than looks, but he has about $4500 in the gun and scope and the stock looks like he ran out of money it is so scratched up and the scratches go in all directions.

Scott

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not sure of the exact method, but I remember reading posts here that you had to wet sand your McMillan when you get it unless you want it to look like crap. For the money you pay, seems like this should be done at the factory. Maybe if it is for a military contract...ok, but for a custom rifle that is ridiculous.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, and if that is the case they should do it!

Scott

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe they don;t do it because not everyone wants to carry around a waxed bowling ball while hunting.

If you do want the bowling ball look, it takes all of 20 minutes to get you there.

It is quite clearly stated in the McMillan catalog, and on McMillan's website that the molded in finishes are "Utility" finishes and will not be perfect.

It cracks me up that half the guys here are bitching that the stocks won't give any better accuracy, and the other half are trying to match their stocks to their wife's shiny nail polish. Both are missing the real value of a McMillan by such a long shot that it's comical.

I really should start a new line of stocks. I could have them painted with auto metallic clear coat, buffed to a mirror shine, and deliver them with a guarantee of improving accuracy by 50%.

Apparently it doesn't really matter that they won't be the toughest, most durable stocks on the market. Nor will it matter that they are the most stable stocks available, custom inlet for your exact barreled action, and available in a range of weights to suit the specific application.

I would probably just make one single style of stock for each action, instead of offering a variety of stock profiles to suit just about anyone.

Further, I doubt there is any real utility in offering a Lifetime Warranty, with a virtual no questions asked, "You broke it, they fix it" guarantee.

Give or take...........

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And there it is.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Typical, No one can say anything negative about McMillan or Leupy around here with out some sort of crap being thrown at them, dont have a problem with McMillan or would have not just ordered one, didnt say anything about wanting it to look like a dam bowling ball either, I just dont think they should show up in this case look liking you drug it behind your dam truck either! Nuf said.

Scott

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
CAS, you are so full of it, we have all seen pictures of your guns, and you obviously care what they look like. Most of them look like they have never left the safe.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, 'Tard, you think that might have something to do with the fact the damn near every picture I have ever posted is of the rifle shortly after it's completion? Naaaaaaawwww! That would be too easy................

BMD,

It was you lamenting the asthetics of McMillan stocks, now you are backtracking like an old pro. I can absolutely guarantee you that I have had more McMillan stocks come through here than you have ever seen, and not one has looked like it has been drug behind a truck.

Generally guys get stomped on for "disparaging" McMillan stocks when they don't have a friggin' clue what they are talking about (you fit that bill nicely).

McMillan stocks (the product nor the company) are not perfect. They generally weigh more than they could, they take forever to get, they are fairly expensive, customer service can be "difficult" at times, and they really don't have a serviceable pattern for a Model 70 hunting stock. That said, they so far outpace everything else currently available that there isn't many good alternatives for a top quality stock.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 43 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,015
Posts18,520,703
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.