Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I play music in my shop at work. Mostly soft rock/classic rock/pop music type stuff. The stuff I post here on the friday night music threads is what I play at work. Different guys take it differently. And it's not an age thing.

Had a younger guy in there last night, maybe late 20s/early 30s. We do mostly fab work in there, but last night I was prepping some bearings and journals for couple of ingot casting cars and he was lining up motor shafts on a set of smaller blower fan units. Quiet in there without the grinding/welding and we were close enough to converse.
I asked him a couple of hours in if the music was making him grit his teeth. He looks like most of the other guys his age with the tats and all. He looked a little surprised and told me that he actually liked it. Said he didn't listen to most of the stuff guys his age do.

Most of the guys who listen to the stuff like Slipknot are respectful enough, and some of them seem intelligent. Some good hands, and not all who like this type of music are what I call kids. Some well into their 50s and look more like me, kinda what I consider normal...???

Bands like slipknot... I don't even know how to describe them. And I don't even wanna pick on Slipknot, they're just what I see stickers for on some toolboxes. "PsychoSocial"? What a name for a song...
I'm posting this honestly trying to find what attracts guys to this sound. And is it the sound or the attitude?

There's a guy in our shop who has been in most of the shops in the plant. He plays this type of music loud enough to drown out 9" grinders, engine driven welders, and large industrial saws. Can't ask him about the music or he explodes. Really can't ask him about much, or talk to him about anything as he
can blow any conversation into a full on one sided screaming match. Guy obviously has both skills and brains if you watch him work. Social skills, not so much.
As mentioned, he's been shipped around to most of the shops in the plant. He got the job on reference from his dad, who is about #3 in seniority in a list of 185 or so guys. A few months back he was put in the same shop with his dad. Hear tell things are getting intense there now.
And I tell this just to explain my viewpoint and why I have questions about the draw of this music.

Flame suit on

Help me out here?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I listened to a lot of diff music and had a decent collection.
Junked most of it about 2 yrs ago.

Pretty much listen to just a few

Iron Maiden
Type O Negative
The Birthday Massacre
Mortiis
Theater of Tragedy

Spend a lot of time trying to find stuff I like on YT.
Rarely find anything mediocre.

I hate the radio standards and country.
Most stores/ shops play it.

Even restaurants....it seems as if corporate mandates a bunch of [bleep] rap or just plain crap. The average customer seems to prefer it.

LOL

Your shop, play what ya like IMHO.

Hell i cant stand the hunting channel BS some gun shops have on.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/01/21.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i liked that type of music for running and lifting. slip knot, korn, ratm, audioslave, metallica, etc. it would get me in the mood to work hard. but for working in a work environment, i would not choose it. and actually i find that any music that is played in a mixed setting will piss somebody off so i don't do it. i personally hate a lot of music that is popular today. modern country, pop, etc. makes me grit my teeth and head for zee hills.

My diploma is a DD214
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Some people are music minded.
Some just listen for the attitude it creates.
Music affects and hits people differently.

Its the listener, not what they are listening to.

At concerts, when Maiden plays " Run to the Hills" i get pretty pissed off and go fetch beer.

Hate hate hate that chitty song.

Aint the only one either LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 01/01/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Some stores have the music too loud. One could proly tolerate junk music if it wasnt cranked.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ya put on journey or reo speedwagon and i get an eye twitch.

My diploma is a DD214
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r

CSN?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nah, really...

I get it that different guys aren't all gonna like the same music.

But I'm curious if the draw is the message of the music? The visuals of the videos?
Does good music require a hockey mask, bloody wounds, graphic tattoos, and an audience in lock-step presentation of a devils horn fist?

I can tell you why i like Jim Croce. Why I like Jefferson Airplane, CCR, and Robert Plant...

What is the draw of the type of music like Type O Negative or Mortiis?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Too much of either and I get twitchy too.
I got 13 hours of classic rock on my phones sd card and a player that'll random it through, pretty well.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have no idea, I don't tolerate much of the music posted here anymore, but to each his own.
Many job sites have a no music rule, avoids conflict..
I'm 66 for a reference point.

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

IC B3

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Malloy805
I have no idea, I don't tolerate much of the music posted here anymore, but to each his own.
Many job sites have a no music rule, avoids conflict..
I'm 66 for a reference point.

As does ours. But we have slots for 215 millwrights and can't keep 190 in the bullpen. Demonstrable trade skills gain leniency.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the reason on most construction jobs any more music just plain isn't allowed by any of the crews. Seems like somebody gets pissed no matter what is being played, then the customer gets wind of the unhappy crew and that is a hard bridge to get over once it happens.... hard enough to get all the different crews and trades to get along much less pissing off the customer...

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I was doing the electrical work on a house (just happened to be my house) and a guy shows up to do some sheetrocking and other work. He drives his Blazer into the garage and proceeds to open his tailgate to a couple speakers the size of a piano , plugs in his stereo and starts blasting the jobsite with his version of head banging music... you could have heard it a mile away. I gently asked him to turn it down and he pretty much told me to shove it so I took care of the problem. It is common to have one receptacle available for the subs to use while they are doing the sheetrocking and other work because the other receptacles aren't installed until the last thing. This is usually the washer receptacle because it is a dedicated receptacle circuit. Locating it in the panel is pretty straight forward so I just went over, lifted the neutral from the bar and put it on the other buss of the panel and ran 240V through his stereo. Then I just put it all back together and went back to work. After he shook his stereo a couple times trying to figure out what happened, we had a nice quiet day at work....

I don't have a real problem with most types of music except for the accordian music the mexican crews play all day long, but I hate for it to be so loud you can't concentrate or the neighbors or customer complains....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's awesome Sheister...

Anywhere a powerhouse boiler is being built or rebuilt the welding goes much better with music playing. Even if it's the Banger/Thrasher/Slasher music.

Fab shops run better on music. Helps the work flow...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Same azz whole whose blazer dripped oil all over the garage floor.....you see that [bleep] the time..

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You may enjoy OTHER people's **REACTIONS** to music they are NOT familiar with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ3ilucduko

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hard for me to answer your question because I am all over the place on genres of music. I can go from RATM, Pantera, to George Strait, to classical Wagner, to 19th century hymnals, 70s, gangsta rap, negro spiritual, techno-euro.

I can wander all around that and more in the course of a few days.

One thing I cannot stand is top 40, ariana grande, justin beiber, “mall music” easy-listening soft rock/light hits like office music I call it. Doctor office music. Crap like reo speedwagon, peter cetera, celine dion. Holy fugk that chit makes me want to turn furniture over.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by johnw

Too much of either and I get twitchy too.
I got 13 hours of classic rock on my phones sd card and a player that'll random it through, pretty well.

actually i am pretty much over classic rock. i heard it so friggen much growing up in the 70's and for 30 years afterward that i don't really care for it anymore. i like blues, schit kicking country, metal and some grunge. i like a lot of stuff most people never heard of. junior brown, melvin taylor and that sort of stuff. i don't care if i ever hear freebird again. and ya, thats almost sacrilege.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wont post RATM on any music threads, boomers would go “that guy de la roach has a Che’ shirt and his git-tar man wears a CCCP shirt

Lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hell Im in the mood for some conway twitty tunes

I swear to God

I’ll be back later. lol

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
That's awesome Sheister...

Anywhere a powerhouse boiler is being built or rebuilt the welding goes much better with music playing. Even if it's the Banger/Thrasher/Slasher music.

Fab shops run better on music. Helps the work flow...

An Exception is nuke work. Aint nobody gonna or wanna take their own stuff inside if they could.
Refuels are a symphony with their own particular rhythm...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,020
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.