Print Thread
Hop To
H
horse1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I’m looking for some experiences running a 6MM Rem on a short-action 700. Specifically, mag box confine COAL increases. I know Wyatt makes a 3.1” box and requires some work, I’m all ears for other options. Opinions of the Wyatt? Pitfalls? Other options?

There’s significant nostalgia for the rifle to remain a 6MM Rem but the current bbl is mighty tired.

Last edited by horse1; 01/02/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everything Wyatt's is a Goat Fhuqk,simply run from it. Hint.

Don't make excuses for a schit spout and simply 243 Kreedmire,with RPM and throat geometry rating a thunk. Hell...stamp it 6mm Rem if it matters. Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Looking at same options with same rifle set up mine is in the hs precision stock and it is the older 6mm with sporter barrel shoots like a built rifle it soon will need a barrel if I put it on the bench instead of hunting . Let me know what works thanks

H
horse1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Everything Wyatt's is a Goat Fhuqk,simply run from it. Hint.

Don't make excuses for a schit spout and simply 243 Kreedmire,with RPM and throat geometry rating a thunk. Hell...stamp it 6mm Rem if it matters. Hint...................

Rifle is getting a new bbl but will remain chambered 6MM.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hawkins builds a 3.110 Obendorf setup, or you can run 2.960osh in a binderless AICS pattern mag.

IC B2

H
horse1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Hawkins builds a 3.110 Obendorf setup, or you can run 2.960osh in a binderless AICS pattern mag.

Is there any machining work required to run the Hawkins other than opening up the ejection port? Do they sell a shortened bolt stop or is that not necessary?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Of course there is machine work requisite,as the new COAL absolutely crushes OEM dimensioning,so mag confines and exhaust ports need love. Hint.

Stay AICS binderless DBM(and I would),the massaging is minimal. Simply inlet under side of feedramp for max COAL,so tips don't get hung on the issued dimension. A coupla minute deal. I tend to relieve exhaust ports,to be nice to good brass,but dat's subjective. Get cute from there and you are on your own. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Easiest route,is to simply chamber in a cartridge worth a fhuqk,that will shoot boolits worth a fhuqk,coupled with killer brass,that is 18-feet fhuqking shorter in case trim length. Give throating a thunk,twist in reserve accordance and stupid leaves the scene by literal default. Purposely painting one's self in a corner,makes less than zero fhuqking sense. Hell...a 6-284 is a superior option,due case length alone,but it's easy for me to say,because I simply shoot it all and then some. Hint.

I'd MUCH rather have a 6BR shooting good boolits,than a fhuqking 6mm that cain't,by literal design. If only because I shoot that too(a couple actually). Hint.

I can only lead folks to water.

Hint................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A local smith told me he can and has milled a 700 S/A receiver and custom make a larger mag box netting an additional .150 and reusing the factory follower. The cost was 150 bucks if memory serves.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The difference betwixt Virgin 6mm and Virgin 243 Kreed' case length averages .310" or more than double your "cure". Hint.

Gotsta' toss a James CBI 7" 224 Speedmire 28" Heavy Bull aboard a new receiver,headspaced to Starline false shoulders,set it in a KRG bravo and poke a SWFA atop for 90gr Beer Cans. None of which is music to a 6mm Rem's ears. Hint.(grin)

I can only lead you to water. Hint!......................

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hawkins builds a 3.110 Obendorf setup

That setup uses a Wyatt’s box IIRC.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nuttin' to it and 2.825" to a 90gr Beer Can squared Smooch in the James Spout. Nestles bindered AICS rather happily and plenty of room to chase lands,with a .585 BC at 3200fps ++. Nightfarce 20 MOMO rail,40+ Mil's of erector and 10 more on the windshield for good measure. It's called "cheating". Hint.

Easy way to slap a 6mm Remm fhuqking silly. Hint.......................(grin)

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Hawkins builds a 3.110 Obendorf setup

That setup uses a Wyatt’s box IIRC.

That may be true...but would be out of character for Hawkins. I haven't explored the opption because I don't see a reason NOT to use AICS mags, and nothing I shoot requires such a strained COAL allowance.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,688
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.