M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Rotator cuff tears don't heal.

That's what they tell you. Believe what you like, but it actually can. It's just very slow to heal.

I tore my left shoulder back in February. Two partial tares. After two cortizone shots it felt like it was back to normal. Then in early November I was pretty wasted loading up the pellet stove with a bag of pellets, must have tore it again because when I got up the next morning it felt like the first day I tore it back in February. Got another cortizone shot and crossing my fingers.

Yeah, the cortisone reduces swelling and removes the pain quickly but it still takes time for the muscle to repair, so it's easy to go too hard too soon.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Anyone gone through a rotator cuff injury and rehab before? Looks like the program is rest, NSAIDs, ice, then heat after a few days, then physical therapy. The pain is something else. Popped the damn shoulder lifting a small Kubota diesel engine off the floor. Heard and felt it "pop" and pull. Any idea how long the acute pain lasts? TIA

Yes. I was treated how you describe. It can take several weeks to heal. Take it easy on that shoulder

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
You guys are a wealth of information. Thank you again! I scored some hydrocodone cool and am hitting it with that, Meloxicam and Voltaren topical and icing it every two hours. The plan is to start applying heat Monday, sling it for a week and then start some therapeutic stretching and strengthening. I don't have insurance so I am on my own.

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple years ago I fugged mine up. Partial RC and labrum tear with a fracture. Doc wasn't in a hurry to cut. Took a solid 6+ months of rehab but its 90% today.

For what its worth, my doctor had a low opinion of most PT. Claimed they often did a lot of damage pushing patients to far to soon. He was very detailed on what rehab and stretches were to be done.

Good luck.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Hello Tarquin,

I'd type more but my right shoulder just got cut on Weds. If you have no insurance this might be your best option: https://surgerycenterok.com/?procedure_category=shoulder#jump

Get an assessment ASAP. You don't know what you got 'till its gone...that's kinda catchy, eh? As a physician I'd suggest that full-thickness tears are not only unlikely to heal but more likely to propagate over time...and most folks aren't gonna stop living life!

ASK for cash deals on MRIs and PT, if needed.

Good luck!

IC B2

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by IceKing02
Hello Tarquin,

I'd type more but my right shoulder just got cut on Weds. If you have no insurance this might be your best option: https://surgerycenterok.com/?procedure_category=shoulder#jump

Get an assessment ASAP. You don't know what you got 'till its gone...that's kinda catchy, eh? As a physician I'd suggest that full-thickness tears are not only unlikely to heal but more likely to propagate over time...and most folks aren't gonna stop living life!

ASK for cash deals on MRIs and PT, if needed.

Good luck!

Thank you sir. Much appreciated.

Tarquin
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Interesting info.
In the summer of 2000 I heard a pop in my left shoulder while I was removing bolts in a transmission.
Haven’t been able to lift much weight over my head with my left arm. Hurts like heck, really.
Have been lifting weights with my wife for the last six months, low impact but have been building strength.
Most people I have talked to said it still hurts after the surgery.
Wife wants me to get it checked out but, meh.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Rotator cuff tears don't heal.

That's what they tell you. Believe what you like, but it actually can. It's just very slow to heal.

I tore my left shoulder back in February. Two partial tares. After two cortizone shots it felt like it was back to normal. Then in early November I was pretty wasted loading up the pellet stove with a bag of pellets, must have tore it again because when I got up the next morning it felt like the first day I tore it back in February. Got another cortizone shot and crossing my fingers.

Meant to mention the cortisone.

Need to wait 6 (six) wink weeks for sx if you have had a cortisone injection.

Get images and evaluation before cortisone.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Time is not your friend on this. I'd get the MRI done PDQ and then get in front of the doc about your surgery options. Then REALLY execute against the physical therapy post surgery.

I have had surgery on my right rotator cuff following an obvious slip and fall on an ice-overed driveway. Aside from the incredible jarring pain, it took months to recover after surgery. But I did. I'll guess 85% -ish of a recovery vs previously...at best.

My other shoulder was a different situation: A couple years later after my right rotator cuff surgery l fell down a set off stairs and rolled to a stop. Instant raw pain on my left rotator cuff...aww F**k. But when I did the MRI the doc told me that two of my four rotator cuffs (the tendon part) on the left hand side had already shrivelled up and died from some prevoius injury I was not aware of and hence were not repairable. I had waited too long to address them previously. So I still suffer through that: I have perhaps 30% utilization of that shoulder.

Bottom line: pursue this before you are SOL. Good luck with it!!!!!

Yup!
Imaging to determine the extent of damage/tearing. If you need sx, you need it sooner rather than later. Waiting reduces outcome strength and ROM.

There is a range of rotator tear from a little bit to F’ed up. 😏

Cuff tear does not tell you much.

Yup, there are four distinct, different muscles in the cuff. Which one(s) you tore and how badly will determine the options. A totally separated muscle cannot heal itself. I had my left done first, then my right, then my right again because it was not done well. Found the right surgeon (Adrian Ryan here in ANC) and got them fixed properly. It was a little brutal in PT, but not horrible. I had a Mumford on each side (taking the arthritis off the ends of the collar bones.) and big spur clean-up on the right also. Prior to the last two surgeries I could not put either hand in my back pockets. That was almost 15 years ago. I can throw a football for an hour without any pain and my shoulders were a mess.

Worst problem I had was a skinny PT that did not really work as hard at moving the muscles around as she should have. When that was discovered the replacement PT got brutal for a couple visits. In all honesty the hardest part of the whole program was dealing with the insurance company...

Your procedure is very similar to what I'm familiar with here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

.. Got another cortizone shot and crossing my fingers.

Yeah, the cortisone reduces swelling and removes the pain quickly but it still takes time for the muscle to repair, so it's easy to go too hard too soon.

and tendons are slower to heal.
Muscle will be repaired while one
suffers ongoing tendonitis and/or
healing of reattached tendon.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I tore mine a while back and one doctor insisted on an MRI which I can't do anymore so I went to another who gave me a steroid shot that worked for a year..Now, with an occasional muscle relaxer,I'm doing as well as the wife who had surgery,actually better..The way things are now,I'm good to go . I know a gal that went in for a simple surgery and came out with Covid..

Jayco👍

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've tried rehab treatments twice in the last 5 years, get shots a couple of times a year. I can't hardly lift my left arm above my head and don't have enough strength to shoot a rifle free-hand anymore. The nagging pain and numbness has convinced me that I should of went ahead and had my rotator cuff operated on 5 years ago like my doctor said. It's impossible for me to sleep on my left side and a lot of times I can't sleep because of the nagging pain. Hopefully whatever treatments you choose works out for you.

Life is good live it while you can.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I tore the supraspinatus tendon at the cuff and the long head bicep tendon in the cuff (both 100% tears) plus some other damage. The best advice I can say is get an MRI to determine the extent of damage and that way you know on future options. If you choose cortisone keep in mind that it can dry out tendons and too many shots can cause additional damage (I had multiple shots in my shoulders - 12+ when I was young which may have contributed to the failure).

I tried rest, rehab and pain killers for a few months and it was not getting better. The recommendation from the therapist when she looked at the MRI results was surgery. I was told there was a 50% chance they would have to cut the shoulder open which meant a longer recovery period. I got lucky and have 5 small holes with the repairs done. The long head tendon was not reattached and not having that is not an issue except when the bicep rolls around under my arm.

You have options but I would get an MRI to make sure for now and in the future as you then have a baseline if it gets worse. Some very good information and suggestions provided by others on this thread -- Ironbender, Blu C, Sitka and others

I am 69 now -- the surgery was 15 years ago and I have full range of motion, no pain, good strength and use that shoulder for shooting. I shoot shotgun quite a bit for clays etc and have no issues.

Hugh
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can not throw overhand.

Underhand yes.

Sometimes it feels like something is in the wrong place and i have to grab the door handle on the landcrusier and try to pull my arm off.

I wiggle the shoulder some and things work back to where they don't hurt.

I have had 2 shots in the right shoulder and they have helped a whole lot,giving me time to get right again.

I won't get cut on because it is the hand i use when eating. grin

And it does hurt more than you know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't even want to start - 60 years of career wear/tear and other honest abuse - any number of steroid shots along the way - now have half a bicep in the dominant arm - one half is torn loose and piled up down toward the elbow. Considered the whole rebuild (backward) shoulder surgery - decided I'm too old for that strain and to tie up that much rehab time - said "no" to the expert at Mayo.

Don't ask me to pitch a ball or work above the shoulder.

There is some really good info above - lots of guys have learned and shared some good stuff.

Last edited by CCCC; 01/03/21.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have had 2 repairs R and 1 L

Baseball and rock climbing/slack jumping injuries

Get MRI first to determine what is injured and to what degree. Cartilage does not heal. Ever.

PT can do a lot for partial thickness tears. Enough that some people do not need surgery as they aren’t athletic or lifting weight enough to matter. Pain relief and ROM are the main goals for this. I kept my left from surgery for 8 years by intermittently doing elastic band exercises when hurting me.

Steroids are a bandaid till you get to surgery, not a fix for something like this. A shot or two isn’t going to hurt anything, but other than reducing inflammation do not expect miracles. They only reduce inflammation( in turn improving pain and ROM temporarily). They don’t fix tears or degenerative changes.

Full thickness tears with limited ROM or frozen shoulders, surgery is really the only thing that will help. pT after is kinda brutal but worth it.

Find a really good ortho doc that you trust, and get it over with if your going to be athletic In any way shape or fashion.

J
JKB Offline
J
I am 50 and been on the farm ALL my life, for the most part. Right has been messed up for a few years, left is getting there.

May of 2019 and again in May of 20, I did the Prolotherapy PRP Plasma injections into the tears. It may not be 100%, but I have regained most of my movement.

STAY OFF THE NSAIDS!!!!!
You want blood flow and inflammation to contribute to healing. I will probably have to have the repair in the next year or two but the Prolotherapy has really helped me. Insurance doesn't pay. The next step would be the Stem Cell injections, but at some point I will get tired kicking the can down the road, but if you just need relief and aren't ready for surgery I would actively consider the Regennex.

NSAIDS are prohibited 6 weeks prior to the injections and 3 months afterwards. But I am overly cautious because I have one kidney

Last edited by JKB; 01/02/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've torn both rotator cuffs more than 10yrs. ago, one was a medium to large tear and the other a complete tear off. I had both surgically repaired and have not had any problems since the surgery. Only lasting effect is that I cannot work over my head for very long before the shoulders get fatigued. My surgeon recommended PT before and after surgery, in the case of the complete tear off I did PT prior to surgery in order to strengthen the muscles. PT after surgery was passive for the first 8wks., I went to PT twice a week and the therapist stretched my shoulder. I had a cold water circulating jacket that I wore a couple times a day for 20-30 mins., took my pain meds 30 min. prior to PT and cold pad for 30 min. after. I have a great result with both shoulders and do not regret the decision to have surgery.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Thanks guys. 'Preciate it.

I suffered through one several years ago. I couldn’t button my pants for three weeks and once it got a little better I had to go back to work rowing a drift boat. I learned to do a lot of things with my elbow pinned to my ribs and it got to the point it doesn’t bother me much anymore.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tore my right side with a shoulder dislocation working the out gate at a rodeo. Went 2-3 days putting off going to the doc, mostly because I knew the solution. Hurt worse AFTER surgery than before. Rehab sucked. Took close to a year to be completely pain free, still maybe 75% strength at best.

Left side is torn too, not sure exactly when or how, but I can't lift much of anything with it, can't put it over my head, and hurts like he'll if I sleep on that side. REALLY putting that surgery off, I'm left hand dominant.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,948
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.