Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15606972 01/04/21
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hello,

I have a rifle I’m looking to sell but have no idea where to start price or trade wise.

Here’s what it is:

M70 xtr magnum sporter 338wm

Looks to be a 1983 model

Seems unflred

Very minor safe marks

What is this worth?

Thank you very much!!!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Hello,

I have a rifle I’m looking to sell but have no idea where to start price or trade wise.

Here’s what it is:

Looks to be a 1983 model

Seems unflred

Very minor safe marks

What is this worth?

Thank you very much!!!

Depending on when and to whom it is sold $700+/-50. Alaska right before or during big game season is good place to sell gun like this. The only problem might be many guys prefer CRF to PF in big game hunting rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
Hello,

Here’s what it is:

Looks to be a 1983 model

Seems unflred

Very minor safe marks

What is this worth?

Thank you very much!!!

Depending on when and to whom it is sold $700+/-50. Alaska right before or during big game season is good place to sell gun like this. The only problem might be many guys prefer CRF to PF in big game hunting rifle.

More like $550.00

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No idea, but I will not sell my Ruger 77 .338 for that. It has been there (Africa and Texas) ) and done that and is magnaported, glass bedded and very accurate. Just saying,,

PS I have a CRF M70 it it ain't for sake either!,

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by crshelton
No idea, but I will not sell my Ruger 77 .338 for that. It has been there (Africa and Texas) ) and done that and is magnaported, glass bedded and very accurate. Just saying,,

PS I have a CRF M70 it it ain't for sake either!,

I'm sure that helps the op determine value.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Objectively... Just the thought you may be playing to a prejudiced right audience here! Mainstream model, not a CRF, not unusual chambering such as 6.5x55 or 7x57. Altogether, achieving "also ran" and falling into a wide field of competition!
Subjectively, assuming you're personally selling... Fact you're disclaiming much in way of personal knowledge of gun. Commercial transaction or whatever, removing the element of "personally vouching" for function, accuracy, etc. 'Working gun category", no special or exotic hook. Presumably no 'hands-on' pre purchase eval opportunity. Buying sight unseen, essentially becoming "as is, where is" transaction. The realities, "potential valuation hit for many buyers. All that, "value" factoring!

Just my take.
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Objectively... Just the thought you may be playing to a prejudiced right audience here! Mainstream model, not a CRF, not unusual chambering such as 6.5x55 or 7x57. Altogether, achieving "also ran" and falling into a wide field of competition!
Subjectively, assuming you're personally selling... Fact you're disclaiming much in way of personal knowledge of gun. Commercial transaction or whatever, removing the element of "personally vouching" for function, accuracy, etc. 'Working gun category", no special or exotic hook. Presumably no 'hands-on' pre purchase eval opportunity. Buying sight unseen, essentially becoming "as is, where is" transaction. The realities, "potential valuation hit for many buyers. All that, "value" factoring!

Just my take.
John

John, lets just assume it is a regular ol XTR sporter 338 made in the 80's. Which, that's exactly what it is. Around here they are not worth much. The XTR featherweights are the popular ones and the earlier the better. Especially pre USRAC. The WRA guns in fact, before USRAC takeover in mid '81. An XTR sporter is nothing special, thus the price I suggested is very realistic. Someone else can chime in with a better offer/estimate, but I've seen them in the flesh for $400-$500.00.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell I saw on gun broker yesterday a fella trying to sell a savage 110 J series in a 06 for $800 bucks. That rifle is worth $300 bucks why guys all the sudden think they are sitting on a pot of gold is beyond me. Like Lawrence said $400-$500 around here guys are not going to pay more than that. Put it in gunbroker and see what happens.. Now WRA made xtr featherweights that’s a different story.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 79S
Hell I saw on gun broker yesterday a fella trying to sell a savage 110 J series in a 06 for $800 bucks. That rifle is worth $300 bucks why guys all the sudden think they are sitting on a pot of gold is beyond me. Like Lawrence said $400-$500 around here guys are not going to pay more than that. Put it in gunbroker and see what happens.. Now WRA made xtr featherweights that’s a different story.

I never claimed to be sitting on a pot of gold so you can get off your high horse. I’m simply trying to figure out a fair price.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

I never claimed to be sitting on a pot of gold so you can get off your high horse. I’m simply trying to figure out a fair price.

Oh she’s a tall horse and I’m not getting off.. my comment about sitting on a pot of gold was directed at the gunbroker add guy trying sell a savage 110 for $800 bucks, not you..

Last edited by 79S; 01/05/21.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Oh she’s a tall horse and I’m not getting off.. my comment about sitting on a pot of gold was directed at the gunbroker add guy trying sell a savage 110 for $800 bucks, not you..

Akpendude, it was pretty clear he wasnt directing that comment towards you. You asked a question, some of us gave pretty good estimates. No one here said you were sitting on a pot of gold. Also like 79s said, list it on gunbroker and it may or may not sell for what we think. Very strange happenings going on over there right now. Gun values are also different among locales. When guys ask these questions, I base my opinion on what ive seen locally at lgs and gunshows and also what they have actually sold for on gunbroker. I also ask myself what I'd feel comfortable with both buying said rifle and also what I'd expect to sell it for. Put it to you this way. If I saw this rifle in pristine condition locally, i'd be looking at buying it at or around $350.00 and possibly selling it for $550.00 (as I stated in my first post).

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The xtr sporter I think (my opinion, so probably wrong😁) in the standard calibers just don’t demand a premium. Now if you have a XTR sporter in 300 H&H, 222 Remington, 6mm, 257 roberts, 7x57 (last 3 not sure were ever chambered in the xtr sporter) those would be pretty desirable as well.. Reason they were not a common chambering by Winchester..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Back in June i paid 700 for an XTR sporter in 300 HH. Dam fine rifle and shoots very well.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

Akpendude, it was pretty clear he wasnt directing that comment towards you. You asked a question, some of us gave pretty good estimates. No one here said you were sitting on a pot of gold. Also like 79s said, list it on gunbroker and it may or may not sell for what we think. Very strange happenings going on over there right now. Gun values are also different among locales. When guys ask these questions, I base my opinion on what ive seen locally at lgs and gunshows and also what they have actually sold for on gunbroker. I also ask myself what I'd feel comfortable with both buying said rifle and also what I'd expect to sell it for. Put it to you this way. If I saw this rifle in pristine condition locally, i'd be looking at buying it at or around $350.00 and possibly selling it for $550.00 (as I stated in my first post).[/quote]

I know it’s not worth a whole lot but 350??? Take a hike lol.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
not that many people want a magnum because of the ammo costs, unless they are going to Africa to hunt Lions.. good luck.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hubert
not that many people want a magnum because of the ammo costs, unless they are going to Africa to hunt Lions.. good luck.

Strange, where I live here in AK most people have magnums.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Akpendude, it was pretty clear he wasnt directing that comment towards you. You asked a question, some of us gave pretty good estimates. No one here said you were sitting on a pot of gold. Also like 79s said, list it on gunbroker and it may or may not sell for what we think. Very strange happenings going on over there right now. Gun values are also different among locales. When guys ask these questions, I base my opinion on what ive seen locally at lgs and gunshows and also what they have actually sold for on gunbroker. I also ask myself what I'd feel comfortable with both buying said rifle and also what I'd expect to sell it for. Put it to you this way. If I saw this rifle in pristine condition locally, i'd be looking at buying it at or around $350.00 and possibly selling it for $550.00 (as I stated in my first post).

Originally Posted by Akpendude
I know it’s not worth a whole lot but 350??? Take a hike lol.

You asked for a realistic value and you're getting it. You never said that you had to like the value or "Please don't offer an estimate if its worth less that I think that it is worth. If you do, you'll offend me."

Try selling it for what you apparently think its worth and see where the chips fall. Who knows.....?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Double tap.....??

Last edited by BayouRover; 01/06/21.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned 4 ea. 338 Win Mag's including two Remington 700's one CR 70 and one push feed 70. I love my Remingtons, but in this case I liked the push feed 70 the best.

As far as pricing, I look at what is selling on line and let that be what I consider the "price". I used to rely on Blue book on value, but pricing is crazy right now.

Here's one on Guns International

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...r-70-338-winchester.cfm?gun_id=101575247

Last edited by Bugger; 01/06/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a sold GB listing from 1/2/21 of what I believe is the same gun as the OP is inquiring about. Described as being close to 100%. Throw away bushnell scope included. It sold for $749 with shipping.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887933887

Last edited by jsgwoodsman; 01/06/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (29aholic, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 348srfun, 44 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,975
Posts18,519,831
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.