Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ok while I have tons of knives for gutting deer, I find myself gravitating toward shorter blades. I realize any reasonable knife will do the job, but curious what you all like

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have lots also, but a couple old gerber's live in my pack.. I have done lots of game with a Case Trapper.. The rounded point is ideal for opening the animal up without catching the paunch...

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve learned that a 3” blade is plenty for deer.

I don’t field dress. But use it to break a deer down once hung from the skinning rack.

I debone hanging. No gutting. No splitting brisket or pelvis. If i did, them may need a different knife.

I use a Mike Miller that he made with 3/32” hollow ground. I wont pry with it.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For the most part we field dress then drag out. We split sternum and pelvis, the pelvis is split not through the ridge but both sides removing the ridge completely. For this the Buck 119 works very well.

In a hunt where I know the deer will be broken down for transport I have several small folding knives which work well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've ended up with a Havalon Piranta and a Gerber pelvic bone saw for maybe the last 5-6 deer. We field dress, then cart back to camp, so YMMV if you're boning out the animal in the field.

It was warm this year, so skinned, quartered, and in the fridge in about an hour.

Every time I think about using/carrying one of my "nice" knives, I remember how much I love the pure utility of the Piranta and carry that instead.

Sharp. Easy to clean. Light. Sized right for my use.

It's kinda funny, as I've gone the other direction in which rifles I've been hunting with. The 45/70 doesn't do anything better than my bolt action .308, 6.5 man-bun, or .270, but it's the go-to these days.....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm curious to why people break the pelvis. I often hear it mentioned but nothing as to the reasoning behind it. I've seen more knife tips broken doing it than anything and have yet to hear of a logical reason to the practice.

As to the OP I prefer a heavy duty 6-9" blade for fields dressing simply for cutting the ribs from the brisket. Usually takes about 1 minute to dress a deer this way and is pretty clean. Used to take the time to cut the butt out of them but realized there is no reason to do it so now I don't bother

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I'm curious to why people break the pelvis. I often hear it mentioned but nothing as to the reasoning behind it. I've seen more knife tips broken doing it than anything and have yet to hear of a logical reason to the practice.

As to the OP I prefer a heavy duty 6-9" blade for fields dressing simply for cutting the ribs from the brisket. Usually takes about 1 minute to dress a deer this way and is pretty clean. Used to take the time to cut the butt out of them but realized there is no reason to do it so now I don't bother

With a bone saw, it makes it quick and easy to have super clean field dressing. Without the saw, I don't split the pelvis, but I've carried a bone saw for years. With it, I can do the job with a little, light knife.

I don't think it's a right or wrong situation as long as you get the job done without getting the guts all over your meat.

Having everything cleanly cut out makes rinsing with a bucket of water before hanging and cutting out the tenderloins easier.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pic host
We mostly use 6" Dexter boning knives.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pic host
We mostly use 6" Dexter boning knives.

That's what I use too when I'm processing either at home or in the field but I think the op was referring to field dressing cutlery though. I've used everything from a tiny pocket knife to a hatchet for fields dressing. Dexter knives for cutting up to package and grind. Worksharp sharpener and a steel to touch up while cutting at home. Only thing I use a saw for is cutting off the antlers. Everyone does it a little different but I've yet to find a system that works better for me. One thing I've started doing in the last few years is using light weight cotton gloves but that's more for comfort when it's really cold, the added grip is nice too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Outdoor Edge Razor has replaceable blades, and is stout enough to split the sternum. It's the best of both worlds for field dressing, IMO.

Coring out the pelvis works well for me.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have been using filet knives for the deboning for a few years.
Just got the Gerber Randy Newberg knife for Christmas and am looking forward to trying that next season.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Curious as to why you don’t cut the butt out of it? Everyone I know is always very diligent about it. Thing is my father never taught me it was necessary, so between he and I and now the boys, couple hundred deer I’ve processed or been a part of processing have not had any issues with it.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Buck 303 or a Schrade 34ot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buck 110 or Vanguard

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I open the pelvis once the deer is hung, I think it helps cool the meat better. It is also easier to clean up. I use a number of knives but one I like is the Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf. It is an ideal size and the D2 steel holds an edge well. At camp I usually use loppers for pelvis and sternum. No bone dust and no wear and tear on the knives.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

Curious as to why you don’t cut the butt out of it? Everyone I know is always very diligent about it. Thing is my father never taught me it was necessary, so between he and I and now the boys, couple hundred deer I’ve processed or been a part of processing have not had any issues with it.

It doesn't hurt anything in our out. If I was going to boil and eat the pelvis then I guess I wouldn't want it in there. Aside from that it's just an extra step that's not necessary. I know lots of people that are diligent about doing it too, yet no one can tell me a logical reason why. I've cut up hundreds of deer, antelope elk and bison for myself and clients too and it comes up in conversation sometimes. Interesting to see some of the reasons people come up with.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Havalon and Buck 110 or the western black beauty in the pack. Usually have a small pocket knife too.

I use the 110 for joints and such. Can do everything with those two besides remove the scull plate.

I’d like a nice custom knife, but I’m really good at losing them. I’ve lost two 300+ dollar knives. I’ve had the dang 110 since I was a teenager.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For the inside work I use a Gerber LST with about a 2-1/2 inch blade. T

he only inside cutting I do is around the diaphragm and cutting the inside part of the anus loose. I use the same knife for skinning the outside of the anus loose. I reach up inside the chest cavity, get a hunk of esophagus wrapped around my arm, and pull 'til the whole thing comes out from where I cut the throat. I have done that stuff without using a knife inside at all, just poke a finger through the diaphragm, then tear in a controlled way. Can do the same thing around the anus on the inside though a small knife cut here and there makes it easier. The outside, yeah, that needs to be cut.

I have a little Cold Steel Pendleton mini-hunter which I think would do an excellent job if you prefer a small fixed blade rather than a folder though I haven't used it yet.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around a 3 inch knife is what I've always used.

Did one hit by a car one night with a little 2" or so blade.
Always hear guys bragging about using a little knife,
They think it sounds good I guess.

After that, I will never, ever choose that small a blade.
It just made a simple job harder.

We open the cavity as little as possible.
Why let leaves an dirt in any more than necessary.

The bladder and anus aren't going to hurt anything.
I squeeze the turds out and tie the colon off.

It all come out nice and clean hanging from the tractor.
No dirt on exposed meat.

If it were hot out, or we couldn't lift them like we do,
It would make sense to get that stuff out.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257_X_50, 21, 2ndwind, 41rem, 10 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,015
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.