Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have no experience with the TC Compass but of the Patriot and RAR. I have heard good things about the RAR a good friend had a Patriot that gave him fits. The RAR has some features that are long term proven performers and I have several friends that own one and they all seem pretty accurate with factory fodder.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by BEN243
A friend asked for my help in selecting a modestly priced deer rifle for his son, since he knows that I am a long time hunter and shooter. He decided that it's going to be either a Ruger American, a TC Compass or a Mossberg Patriot. Since I have no real experience with these rifles, I thought I pose the question to you guys out there that actually own one of these rifles and have used them. Which one would you choose and why ? TIA, Ben

Of the three brands you mention I've owned more Ruger Americans, probably around 10-12, and generally had very good luck. The early ones often needed some "adjustment" of the forend to be really free-floated, due to a relatively floppy stock, but that was improved several years ago. On the other hand, on recent rifles the trigger doesn't adjust to as light a pull as it used to, but that's a relatively quick and easy fix.

The Mossbergs have done well too, though I haven't shot as many as the RARs. Have only fooled with one T/C Compass and was not impressed, but have had good luck with T/C Ventures.

Have also had good luck with several Mauser M18s and Franchi Momentums.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My grandson received a Ruger American 7-08 for his 16th birthday.
He asked me to help him sight it in. After looking it over, I had some concerns about the flexibility of the forearm possibly hurting accuracy. I needn't have worried---it consistantly put 3 shots into less than 3/4" at 100 yards.
For the money it's a darn good little rifle.
If I were looking for a low(er) cost rifle, this is one that would certainly be on my short list.

Last edited by MickeyD; 01/11/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BEN243 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to my friend ... because I'm sure not going to make any decisions on what he buys !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If his son is not fully grown, you might look at a rifle that has a stock that grows with the boy. I'm not a Savage guy, but I bought a money raiser ticket for a local American Legion. I won a Savage Axis in 243 with a Weaver 3x9 scope. I was fairly impressed with the package. I've only two loads and both were under a MOA. Pretty good for anything through deer, I'd think.
I looked up the cost for one of these and they are inexpensive. The stock can be shortened by taking out a piece and back to original length by re-inserting that piece.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Get a quality used gun as stated above. A good gun is a good new or used. A cheap POS is always a POS.

Id personally get a cheap 700 ADL or Howa. No matter which way their hunting and shooting lives turn there will always be a spot for these two.

GOD Bless America
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Its not the answer you are looking for, but I would suggest finding a used Tikka for $500. The action is smooth, the trigger is adjustable, it is ight weight and every single one I have been around will shoot. Its a much better product than one of these new, budget rifles.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am a believer in buying a quality hopefully life time gun. If the boy is very young maybe the budget rifle would be a good starter. In which case I would lean towards the Ruger.

But I would also consider a Rem 700 youth model SPS as it can easily be upgraded into a nice rifle and the cost is not that much higher. The Mauser deal looks tempting.

Last edited by DBoston; 01/11/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (257 mag, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 44mc, 35, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,558
Posts18,510,457
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.