Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If i use 140 Grain bullets is the 264WM o.k. to use on elk or is this just a deer/antilope cartridge.<P> Thanks<P> Paul

I can't spell... Deal with it...
GB1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Paul:<P>You're pushing the envelope, IMO. Is the .264 WM enough? Well, yes, assuming you do your part, shoot the right bullets, and pass up questionable shots. Is it a good choice? Well ....<P>I think you're second question is better. If it were me, I'd confine the .264 WM to the deer/antelope hunts and shoot something bigger for elk.<P>Heck, most folks argue like crazy over whether the .270 is adequate. Craig Boddington starts his serious elk calibers at the .30-06. Then again, loads of guys shoot their bulls with .270s every year.<P>I still say go with the .30-06 and don't look back. Flat enough for deer and antelope, big enough for elk, manufacturer/action/bullet selection from here to Kingdom Come, all out of a short barrel with relatively low recoil.<P>It's .30-06 or bust for me. <P>Tim

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hyper velocity, lightweight, thin jacketed bullets.....<P>I wouldn't do it.

T
T
I'm with Bigmuley on this one. There is no way that a .264 Winchester can be considered a "good" elk caliber. If it's all you have and you know its limitations, OK. But if you had to choose an elk rifle, a .264 would not be on the top of the list.<P>In fact, I am a firm believer that big, slow, tough bullets are better for elk than fast and light ones. Following the old saying that, when in bear country carry a bear gun, I'd choose the .264's big brother, the .338 Winchester, for elk and stop worrying about the deer and antelope immediately. I agree you can't kill 'em too dead. 250 grains versus 140 grain for elk? No contest!<P>Teach

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yikes!<P>My first inclination is to ask why in tarnation you'd want to push your luck, but since reading the other posts, I see that there might be a reasonable explanation.<P>IF this is your only option, and if you use premium controlled expansion bullets, and if you pick your shots, I'd say the .264 will do the job. So if you MUST hunt elk with this caliber, just realize that you have to pick your spots.<P>If it were me, I'd buy, or beg or borrow a 30-06 from someone and load it with 180 grain bullets. And if you can afford a rifle specifically for elk, I'd go with a 300 or 338 Winchester Magnum.<P>Elk hunts are tough, expensive hunts, and chances at good elk are pretty scarce, despite what the magazines say. More importantly, elk deserve the best we can give them in terms of quick, clean kills and certain recovery.<P>I'd really think about going heavier if you can.<P>Good luck.<P>Dante

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have plenty of larger caliber guns. i just bought the 264 and was curios about it's potential for elk. if i did take it i would use 140 X's. i doubt that i will use it then. probly take the 35 whelen AI.<P> Is the 264 too small for Black bear?<P> Just cuirios.<P> Thanks for your help!!!<P> Paul

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it enough for elk? Hell yes. Elk are not robots. They will die if you put a bullet in the boilerroom. All these folks shooting magnums are just lugging around extra weight and suffereing through big recoil to feed their egos. The elk don't know the difference. I know. I used to shoot a .338 for elk because it is supposed to be "the" elk caliber. That's until I saw a nice lady from Minnesota shoot a six-by-six bull with a .243. [Linked Image] One shot and it went down within 40 yards, just like my .338. You can bet that caught my attention!<P>Now I carry a nice lightweight 7mm-08 in the mountians and I haven't lost an elk yet.<P>

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're probably in the clear for bear too, but I'd use a 30 ought six it I could. <P>Just in case. [Linked Image]

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Are elk robots? Nope. They are just another four legged critter. <P>Will a .264 WM kill an elk? You bet. Will a .17 Remington kill an elk? You bet. Heck, a stick with three razor blades on the end will kill an elk. The point to remember is that all of these have their distint limitations.<P>A .264 bullet does not have as heavy a jacket as say a .30 caliber bullet does. From a .264 WM it is also moving at a high rate of speed. The bullet is light, which will hamper penetration. <P>Sure, given a nice shot that bullet will likely zip right on through and the elk will tip over. However, a tough angling shot with bone and muscle in the way may prove to be a little much for a sure, quick kill on a big bull. Cows and spikes aren't as big bodywise, but you should still exercise a little judgement.<P>Shoot, that .35 Whelen AI is one of the most perfect elk guns ever. Why not use it for bulls and bruins? <BR>

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Bullet penetration is dependant on several things, impact velocity, bullet construction, and how much bullet is behind the point. That last is called sectional density. If the sectional density, bullet construction and impact velocity are similar penetration will be similar, regardless of the initial bullet weight. A 140 grain .264 bullet has nearly the same sectional density as the 180-grain .308 bullet, and suffers from the same problem. That is finding the darned thing after you've killed your game. I've killed a few elk with the 6.5x57 Mauser which is ballistically identical to the 6.5x55 Mauser and the .260 Remington, I don't think a bullet heavier than Hornady's 129 grainer is necessary. I have put one through a cow end to end, and it is the only time I've recovered one. Considering what the old timers did with the 6.5x53 and 6.5x54 Mannlichers I'd bet they'd be plenty good elk medicine. Now for the catch, most elk these days are taken in the black timber at close range. You'll need an excellent 140 grain bullet at .264 magnum velocities for this purpose. I'd think the Partition would be the minimum required.<p>[This message has been edited by Slamfire (edited October 22, 2000).]

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess my question is ... is my new .375 enough gun? <P>Sorry, but I couldn't resist.<P>It may be too big, but it shoots flat as a .30-06 to 300 yards, will outpenetrate a .338 Win, and will stop a charging grizzly. And it's brand new.<P>That's my story and I'm sticking to it. [Linked Image]<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
T
T
I say go for it the 264 is close to the 270 which has killed alot of Elk. This topic on other forums has amused me the Elk have gotten tougher in the last 10 years. Where I grew up the 270 was the most commonly used rifle and I have seen some big elk taken with the 270. and a few big ones taken with the .243 and I have taken a few myself with my 25-06. I think the issue of bigger is better is an american phenomenom. The bigger rifles do help if you hit the critter in the but it will imobiliize it but if you are a good shot and make proper shot placement I am sure the 264 will work.<P>Thack

Thack<P>"Its not how big your gun is it is where you put the bullet."
Certainly the Win. .264 will kill elk with a well placed 140 Gr. Nosler.<BR>But if I shot elk on a regular basis the 7mm STW would be my choice.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Yeah, it's enough, but know the cartridge's limitations and only take a good shot. I agree with tackdriver that if you're going to shoot elk on a regular basis, you should opt for another caliber. I wouldn't choose the STW however. [Linked Image]<P>elian

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
alright. I don't plan on hunting elk for a few more years. What i plan on useing the rifle for in the near future are a caribou hunt in the spring and maybe a black bear. then it will be whitetails for a while and maybe a few hogs. and then again it's not the only rifle in the battery but it is the newest addition so, i have to use it for something or the wife will catch on. [Linked Image]<P> This is all assuming that i get the darned thing back from winchester in the near future. Had to send it in for a new reciever the one from the factory came pre drilled and stripped out for the scope. [Linked Image]

S
S
.264 Win Mag??? A Gods plenty gun. Elk do not wear Kevlar armor. A good 140 gr. or 156-160 gr. bullet will do the job. Bullet placement is the key. Don't cowboy it from 6-1000 yds. Keep your shots to 200 yds. Bullet placement is much better at that distance......Swede 6.5

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I agree with the Swede. It's plenty if you keep the shots reasonable and place your bullet. <P>I'd personally want a different caliber, but wouldn't sniff at yours.<P>Jack

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with those who say it is, but you need to be careful.<P>To me, that means that you need to limit your hunting. Why not shoot a .30-06 and be done with it?<P>Just my .02.<P>Springsteen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If its all you got and you limit your shots what would be wrong with 140gr X-bullet or Partition at 3000-3100fps or a 160gr Hornady RN at 2900fps. Both would give adequate penetration on elk for most shots out to 200 yards.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm....Grasshopper, consider this: Just because it can be done, does not mean that one should do it. (Yes, the oxen are slow, but the earth is patient). Regards.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1234, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 15,641 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,306
Posts18,545,494
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.