Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am continuing this from another post in the custom forum.

It seems now that there is some question about the tolerances and the squareness of this action. Mr. Kampfeld reported that he measured one and it was no more true than an unworked factory Rem. 700 action. I do not know Mr. Kampfeld but it seems to me from this site that his reputation and knowledge are both top notch.

This is really starting to bother me beacause I am having my first custom rifle built by Chris Mathews from LSR. I decided to go with the Predator action after talking it over with Chris. Chris had nothing but good things to say about the action.

I understood when I ordered it, that the Predator did not have bench rest tolerances, but it was my understanding that it was produced with fairly tight tolerances and was a square and true action.

I don't want to spend all this money on an action that is not up to par with others in the same range. I would have spent the extra money to get a tighter, more square action.

Chris had just informed me that all my components for the build are in, then I hear this about the Predator Action - I need a drink!!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 07/26/07.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If I recommend something to a customer and he trusts me enough to go with it, then I will stand with the customer if something were out of order. Surely this Chris Mathews can measure your action before beginning work, as he should. If you trust the guy enought to contract him to build the gun, then trust him enough on his recommendation of that particular action. Tell him your concerns and see what he has to say about them. He's the one you will have to deal with.

300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I totally agree Boresnake!!

I trust Chris 110% - it just makes you a little nervous when you're getting you first(and expensive) custom built on an action that is getting bad comments on here.

I did some research on the Stiller Predator before I decided to go with it, and for the most part it was very positive. Then after talking to Chris, it kinda sealed the deal.

Chris is a great guy to deal with, and has an awesome reputation for building some real tack drivers!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 07/26/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WOW no better than an un-trued Remington...are you serious??? When respected guys in the bench rest game like Shelley Davidson, Butch Lambert and world record builder Mike Bryant give it a thumbs up its hard to believe that the Predator is no better than a factory 700....but, I have no reason to doubt Mr Kampfeld experiences (hope to use him on my next project). If the actions Kampfeld measured were that bad I'm sure they were sent back, did Stiller make them good???? After researching custom actions I can tell you that there are quite a few well respected shooters and gunsmiths who will give you a COMPLETELY different story on the Predator. You will always find lots of "Ford-Chevy" debates but this is the first I've heard that ranks a Predator worse than an avg out of the box Rem 700??? Jerry Stiller posts over at Benchrest Central Forums and is usually easily reachable by phone, I've found him to be very knowledgeable and he has the reputation of being "good people" who stand behind what they sell...give him a call with your concerns I'm sure he will put your mind at ease.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mr. Stiller was called by another member on here - hopefully we can hear from him what is going on.

I couldn't believe it either when I read it - made me nervous!!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jerry will address this issue as soon as he gets my message on his cell and can get access to a computer(he and Curtis are at the VHJ shooting). He is very prompt about this type of thing.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slow down gents...and let's keep this over at the other thread where there is 3 pages of info. That way once it's resolved (I'm sure it will be) then all the info will be in the right place.

Just my 2 cents, but I'd suggest keeping the rest of the posts in the custom rifles forum.

J

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I believe that a M700, trued by a skilled machinist like Kampfeld, is as good as custom actions costing much more.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
dogcatcher,I'd say your probably right but adding up a few prices on Kampfeld's site $270.00 true action and bush bolt,$50.00 to flute bolt,40.00 for 8-40 base screws (not really needed)bush and turn fire pin most smiths charge at least $100.00,works out to$460.00 + a donor action maybe $325.00 to $350.00 and your right there with a predator and a Borden actions,gre tan rifles charges $510.00 for a complete work over! I think there are some other benifeits Like ring base screw holes probably more likely to be a little better aligned, Borden actions seem to be a little lighter in weight!But in order to get a Rem 700 close to the Rem clones you will have spent close to the same as buying a Borden or Stiller action, I Have 2 of Bordens actions and I still like my 700's! FWIW

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I do not believe that a Predator is not any better than a normal Rem 700. These actions are made on modern CNC machinery by people that really care about their product. You would have to really go to some effort to make them as out-of-square as most of the M700s are. Or have the crappy finish found on a lot of Rems.
The predator does have more clearance than the BR actions but that is desirable in a hunting rifle.
Although I have built the tooling and went through the steps to make Rem 700s square and true, I would never do this for someone for money. I put the sleeves on the bolt, Sako extractor, bushed firing pin, all of the things required when "blueprintin". Now that we have custom actions available for $600-$900, it is wrong to charge a nieve customer hundreds of dollars to rework a 700. The fact that they have a HUGE port cannot be addressed, period. Plus, most of the customs are stainless instead of CrMo. Customs can be had with sliding safetys or a Sako style safety. Quicker to build on, just fit the barrel and go.
You simply get more for your money.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yes you could spend the money and have a rem action trued up and have the bolt bushed but it still not going to be as good as the pred. action. You can buy an additional bolt for another cal. and have it made into a switch barrel rifle, in the long run you be money ahead with the pred. action..

300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any other thoughts from the "Smiths" on here??

300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Answered from The man himself - Thanks Mr. Stiller!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.