Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
Then there are tougher primers than most. I bought a couple thousand CCI No. 34 Primers for 7.62mm Ammunition (Yeh, I know a fancy military 308)

They are supposed to have a tougher cup. They were tougher, I understand because of unintentional firing of ammo when an AR slams the bolt shut. But I'd think they would also take a higher pressure before they would vent.

Winchester primers are typically softer, and flow, resulting in the piercing mentioned by Denton above.

You will never pierce a CCI primer, they will always blow.

Federal primers will actually flow back into the firing pin hole in the bolt face giving a very distinct artifact on the primer.

In general, all else being equal, typically Winchester primers will pierce before CCI's will blow.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote]

Winchester primers are typically softer, and flow, resulting in the piercing mentioned by Denton above.

You will never pierce a CCI primer, they will always blow.

Federal primers will actually flow back into the firing pin hole in the bolt face giving a very distinct artifact on the primer.

In general, all else being equal, typically Winchester primers will pierce before CCI's will blow.
[/quote]

That's been my experience as well.

One of the interesting things I've learned in talking industry people is the CCI 41 small rifle primer--the one designed for AR-15 and other semiauto .223/5.56 loading--doesn't actually have a tougher cup, as many would assume. Instead the "geometry" of the cup and anvil is changed from the standard CCI 400 SR primer is changed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep, MD ‘s dead nuts on what I experienced over time.

I used to use winchester primers religiously...they are the only one’s I’ve had pierce.
them moved to remy benchrest, tried some federal and was suprised at it...

Finally made the jump to CCI and provided they are available I’m happy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CraigD
Many years ago I loaded a box of 20 243 cartridges. ... Still don't know what caused the severely blown primer, but the case has sat on my reloading bench for many years as a reminder.

Bottom line, the previous seventeen rounds everything appeared to be normal and then it wasn't...

You may have witnessed the pressure excursion that the 243 is infamous for, especially if the throat was worn. My theory is it is due to the powders used, at that time some type of bulk powder similar to 7828 and to throat wear and variations. The same thought on the 7RM which had the pressure reduced after it exhibited greater than acceptable pressure excursions. I have loaded many hundred of these two rounds and not witnessed this phenomena. The 243 was plenty worn and the 7 RM I shot the barrel out at around 3,000-3,500 rounds. It was probably gone before but this was at the point it started to shoot erratically and larger groups across the board.

I believe what Charlie Sisk was saying is that a tighter chamber doesn't show pressure signs or blow primers as soon as a looser chamber would. Is the Ruger Number 1 considered to handle pressure well and not show indications as much? I was getting flat primers with a #1 thought it was pressure but turned out to be tight primer pockets on new Nosler brass, the primers were getting the final seating when chambered. When shot they backed out some and were flatter than they should be. But an unfired round looked flatter too after clambering.

Last edited by DBoston; 01/08/21.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've pierced a CCI primer, and blown a primer... whistle

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co] [Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by DBoston

Is the Ruger Number 1 considered to handle pressure well and not show indications as much?

They do handle pressure well. My pressure sign is when the extractor fails to extract (slips over the rim) and I have to pry the case out with a screw driver. frown

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You can also often knock a stuck case out of a No. 1 Or other falling-block SS) with a stout cleaning rod of the right diameter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leaked primer on my 700. Greg Tannel did the repair. This was not from high pressure. I was getting cratering at min loads due to the over sized firing pin hole. I lived with it until I took a leak. .257 Bee, Bartlein barrel Federal GM215M primers. First time that has happened. Zero pressure signs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Had a couple of Winchester LR do the same as the above in a mildly loaded 257 Roberts.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
15 or so years ago I got a deal on 1000 Rem 9 1/2 primers. I loaded a bunch of '06, 243 and 22-250 ammo and went shooting. I got several (many) pierced primers as pictured in the above post. All 3 rifles were affected. I wrote Remington and they wanted primers of the lot I used, fired cases and unfired cartridges. I sent them out and got the reply that since they had no control over the storage or use of said primers, I was SOL. So no answer and no more of my money spent on Remington components. All rifles have pitted bolt faces but otherwise perform well.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I had a CCI primer blow in the 9.3x62 using 66gr of big game in a Lapua case with a 286gr Partition. I subsequently performed a node test and discovered that I basically stopped gaining any velocity beyond 64.8 grains, so that's what I use now and have not had any more problems.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
My testing has shown about the same. A chamber cut to spec, and an action machined for a correct casehead to boltface interface, pressure in the mid 70's didnt show anything.
Charlie

This is the same results I've had, I had a load I shot for years that was fast, but you could load the cases 7-8 times, nothing looked out of the ordinary, when I got a pressure trace, they averaged 68k psi with some up to 71k. I backed it off after that. I think it takes 80k psi to blow a primer as a rule, and my one blown primer was just like MD, 4th or 5th shot when it was hot and I left it in the barrel for a while before I shot it and let it heat soak really good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I had a CCI primer blow in the 9.3x62 using 66gr of big game in a Lapua case with a 286gr Partition. I subsequently performed a node test and discovered that I basically stopped gaining any velocity beyond 64.8 grains, so that's what I use now and have not had any more problems.

Just for fun I went looking for bond strengths.
An average Ni-Ni bond was reported at 81.75 (didn't see the units)

Tin-Brass alloys are somewhat more difficult to find...
I wonder if the nickel plating on CCIs results in a more catastrophic failure as a result of a slightly higher bond strength than the underlying brass.

Just supposing...

Edit:
More digging and Capitalcartridge.com posts a factoid that nickel coated brass is more fragile or brittle.

That would suggest a more dramatic failure mode...

For what it's worth.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/21/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,016
Posts18,500,364
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.