Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We closed on a place down in the Caribou Hills, 2 hours from home, last week, went down yesterday to check things out. Prior owners had cleaned it up considerably since we first looked at it 6 weeks ago. It is 2 days travel time closer than our remote cabin in Interior, and only 2 miles off road, rather than 50 . Water, propane, and wood to be hauled in, outhouse. Wife wanted it for 4-wheeling/ snow machining - a Rec Cabin.

But I know who is going to be doing most of the work......hence my term It was started about 20 years ago - it is closed in, interior unfinished, propane and wood heat. Among a half-dozen other readily apparent things, the outside doors need to be rehung, they appear to have been just slammed into place, so don't fit tight. I hate hanging doors- rehanging doors put in with nails is an even bigger PITA!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A fire went thru here a few years back.

Hey- if hood-rats can shoot sideways, I can.......oh, never mind.... smile. Can get windy up there.... The cabin itself is cabled down.

Last edited by las; 01/21/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Awesome views!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Cool nice place. Would love to have a place out there.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
That looks great!!! I could make that work....

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Put in new door knobs yesterday- old ones were unlocked, no keys.

That white light along the door edge isn't God calling- just daylight. smile

The dogs think well of the wood stove- which needs a damper put in the pipe, and , tho the pipe is metal-bestous, there is no jack thru the roof. Gotta be careful of that until I can get one in- but it's lasted many years this way. Bit of water was running down the outside of pipe inside when we fired it up- couldn't get up there to see exactly what's going on. The rusty stove top indicates it's not a new thing...

IC B2

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Bottom level is working /storage level, with big sliding doors on each side for pass through with snow machine, ATV. Snow can get 8-10 feet deep up there, so it was built this way to avoid tunneling to the front door.... smile. About 4' yesterday. I spent over an hour on snowshoes packing 100 yards or so from the groomed trail to the cabin, to get a load of firewood and a load of gear in there.

Second level (1st deck) is kitchen, bedroom, living, but the bedroom is going away to expand rest. Stairs into third level needs to be completely redone and repositioned from that bedroom. Right now it is 2X4 at about a 60 degree angle. Dangerous.Third level will be sleeping quarters- one bedroom and some half-assed area for guests, if any, for them under the low portion of the shed-roof. The S side is on far side from this pic- on the larger light-cloud side on the right.. I dunno why he didn't put a window on that side....

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
We’re the doors installed wrong originally or has the building been moving yearly with the frost?
You may fix thins only to face the same problems again soon.
Great location by the looks of it.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good question-already considered (This ain't my first rodeo! smile. ) and that's why nothing will be done about the doors until July or later.

But neither are flush with the framing, both door frames twist in on the top right (opening) side. Hinge side and bottom right side are OK, I think they were just slapped in wrong, with the top right door framing about 3/4 and 1" respectively, out of plumb, intruding into the house past the framing. Looks like it was just fastened down twist-frame. A little more worrisome is that at least one is framed in tightly- no clearance at all, I think, even on top. That ain't the way to do it...

And those damned nails.

If I can get the frames loose on that side, and get that top right corner back out where it belongs, that should do it.

Theoretically..... with my luck, and it actually works that "easily", I'll have to post a watch for flying pigs.

PS - I hate nails! Screws are so much better!

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Oh yeah, I forgot- there were about 2 cases of slightly frozen beer still down in the storage level...... probably still good- no cans split or bulged, anyway. smile. I should take up alcohol again..... not.

Could be why the couple that owned it for the last year didn't get much done- and maybe caused the divorce?

We got a steal...$12.5K less than they paid for it just over a year ago, and 5K above borough tax appraisal - said tax appraisal always below market value. At least around here.

We'll see if there are additional reasons, I guess....anyway, it's on 4 acres.

Hell, I just finished the remote cabin I bought in '75 this last summer, and still working on builder FU's (as I find them) on house we bought in '88, built in 85.

Why get lucky now? smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That looks awesome !

IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good for you! Best wishes on the project.

Retired cat herder.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Looks to me like something needs to be done about the outhouse.

Seems to lean a bit.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
looks awesome to me

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Las:

I notice some dead trees in your cabin area. Did a forest fire go through there at some point of time?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
looks great to me!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L

2007 Caribou Hills Fire - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › 2007_Caribou_Hills_Fire
Coordinates:60.046°N 151.667°W The Caribou Hills Fire was a 2007 wildfire that burned near Ninilchik, Alaska, and expanded extremely rapidly, making it at one point the top firefighting priority in the United States. It soon moved toward the town and at its peak threatened approximately 300 structures.
‎Background · ‎Firefighting efforts · ‎Aftermath

Caribou Hills Fire - Kenai Peninsula Boroughwww.kpb.us › ... › Disaster Information › Fire
In 2007 a fire in the Caribou Hills burned 56,000 acres and destroyed 88 homes and cabins, as well as 109 outbuildings.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
For this non Alaskan a lesson hard learned. was that vacation properties are better rented than owned.

This is the opinion of a guy who equates hanging a door w/ space travel.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
For this non Alaskan a lesson hard learned. was that vacation properties are better rented than owned.

This is the opinion of a guy who equates hanging a door w/ space travel.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Las,
We are literally less than 5 minutes past your place.

PM inbound.

Congrats. Its a pretty cool place to play.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Congrats.

And condolences.

grin

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,877
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.