Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I have a Mdl 70 Classic Sporter in 270Wby, 26" barrel. I bought it from the original owner several years ago. Shot it a handful of times and it sits in my safe. I have thought about selling it and getting something else I would use more. I was told, or read somewhere, the 270Wby was only chambered for a couple years in the mid 90s. This one is a "G" serial number that makes looking up the DOM near impossible. IIRC, I think when I contacted Winchester they said it was made in 96. My question is, did they make a 270Wby in push feed config? Would have been pre-92 I would think. And what would this rifle be valued at in very good condition?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So, let me get this straight. You are telling us you have a classic sporter 270 WBY and then asking about a different 270 WBY that is a push feed? Also, if you tell us if it is a 5 or 6 digit classic (G356xx for example), there are guys here that can tell you when it was made. Some say the 7 WBY classic was only made in '97. 79s or others may be along shortly to tell you the cold hard truth...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes they made a push feed, late 80s, maybe into early 90s, no idea on price in this market. $600 to who knows depending on condition.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Yes they made a push feed, late 80s, maybe into early 90s, no idea on price in this market. $600 to who knows depending on condition.

I think 88-89 was the run of weatherby in the xtr sporters..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
So, let me get this straight. You are telling us you have a classic sporter 270 WBY and then asking about a different 270 WBY that is a push feed? Also, if you tell us if it is a 5 or 6 digit classic (G356xx for example), there are guys here that can tell you when it was made. Some say the 7 WBY classic was only made in '97. 79s or others may be along shortly to tell you the cold hard truth...

From what I could dig up on the world wide internet way back in 2014. The 7 weatherby was a 1 year production run, either 96 or 97.. 270 weatherby was short lived run (year or two as well) in the classic sporters. AKwolverine knows way more than me. But they said they made the 270 and 7 weatherby mags in the stainless as well. Extremely rare these stainless versions. Hell I never seen a 7 weatherby mag.

A pushfeed model 70 in a 270 weatherby $600-$700 tops. You want more, put it on gunbroker
A CRF model 70 in a 270 weatherby $800-$1000 I pay $800-$900 myself because they are hard to find. I had one at one time and I got rid of it big mistake.

Last edited by 79S; 01/27/21.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Winchester never made a rifle in 7mm Wby, they made the M 70 in .270 Wby and .300 Wby.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the info guys. I am not sure if I'm going to get rid of it or not. I have a TON of brass for it and only shot it maybe 20 times...but it don't eat anything.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
guns are selling well , now is the time to sell that rifle and if you have a box or 2 of ammo put $800.00 for rifle and ammo if someone offers at least $700.00 take it

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
So, let me get this straight. You are telling us you have a classic sporter 270 WBY and then asking about a different 270 WBY that is a push feed? Also, if you tell us if it is a 5 or 6 digit classic (G356xx for example), there are guys here that can tell you when it was made. Some say the 270 WBY classic was only made in '97. 79s or others may be along shortly to tell you the cold hard truth...

From what I could dig up on the world wide internet way back in 2014. The 7 weatherby was a 1 year production run, either 96 or 97.. 270 weatherby was short lived run (year or two as well) in the classic sporters. AKwolverine knows way more than me. But they said they made the 270 and 7 weatherby mags in the stainless as well. Extremely rare these stainless versions. Hell I never seen a 7 weatherby mag.

A pushfeed model 70 in a 270 weatherby $600-$700 tops. You want more, put it on gunbroker
A CRF model 70 in a 270 weatherby $800-$1000 I pay $800-$900 myself because they are hard to find. I had one at one time and I got rid of it big mistake.

Thanks J. In my post above, I meant to say 270WBY, not 7mm WBY. Ha ha .For some reason I had 7 WBY on my mind.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MapleHill
Thanks for the info guys. I am not sure if I'm going to get rid of it or not. I have a TON of brass for it and only shot it maybe 20 times...but it don't eat anything.

In the OP, are you talking about 2 rifles or 1? Some guys don't know the difference between the classic and pushfeed. Just to clarify...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

In the OP, are you talking about 2 rifles or 1? Some guys don't know the difference between the classic and pushfeed. Just to clarify...

I am talking about mine a CRF Classic. I am aware of the differences, I have several examples of both styles and a couple pre-64s. I found a push feed in 270Wby for sale on an online site and was curious if it was original or rebarreled, there were no clear pictures of the barrel stamping. You guys answered my questions, I was unsure if Winchester chambered a push feed in 270Wby and an aprox. value of the one I have, a CRF Classic.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I am talking about mine a CRF Classic. I am aware of the differences, I have several examples of both styles and a couple pre-64s. I found a push feed in 270Wby for sale on an online site and was curious if it was original or rebarreled, there were no clear pictures of the barrel stamping. You guys answered my questions, I was unsure if Winchester chambered a push feed in 270Wby and an aprox. value of the one I have, a CRF Classic.

Hang on to your classic, it is a rare one. We've had discussions on these before. I kick myself in the azz for not buying a 300WBY classic stainless back in the late 90's. I've only seen one of those. Your 270WBY is pretty desirable..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

Hang on to your classic, it is a rare one. We've had discussions on these before. I kick myself in the azz for not buying a 300WBY classic stainless back in the late 90's. I've only seen one of those. Your 7WBY is pretty desirable..

I know all about kicking yourself BSA. I don't typically sell guns, trade maybe. I love my Winchesters, even though I don't shoot (most of them) much. I knew this one was pretty rare and it's in fantastic condition. I think I'll dig it out when the weather gets better and light her up some, along with my pre-64s, they haven't seen the light in quite a while either.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Winchester never made a rifle in 7mm Wby, they made the M 70 in .270 Wby and .300 Wby.

Some will argue that, it was catalogued.. now were any ever made who knows..

Last edited by 79S; 01/28/21.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Hang on to your classic, it is a rare one. We've had discussions on these before. I kick myself in the azz for not buying a 300WBY classic stainless back in the late 90's. I've only seen one of those. Your 7WBY is pretty desirable..

I know all about kicking yourself BSA. I don't typically sell guns, trade maybe. I love my Winchesters, even though I don't shoot (most of them) much. I knew this one was pretty rare and it's in fantastic condition. I think I'll dig it out when the weather gets better and light her up some, along with my pre-64s, they haven't seen the light in quite a while either.

I held a Classic Stainless 270 Weatherby Magnum in my hands in a gun store in 1998. Didn't realize how rare it would be then. Been kicking myself over that one for 23 years now. I would keep your rifle. No sense in selling it. It will never be made again.

Last edited by Rugerfan4374; 01/28/21.
D
D
I owned the push feed 270wby. Brand new in fall of 1987. Among the most accurate rifles I ever owned. I have the classic control round feed now. I picked it up second hand from Cabelas in the late 90’s.
I sold the push feed after I got it.

Can confirm that they made both versions
And can confirm the 300wby as well.

I would love to have another!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I can tell you. I have one of each. A classic stainless and a classic sporter in 270 weatherby both are excellent shooters just got VERY lucky in acquiring both of them

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I know they made a 300Wby as well. I have a push feed Sporter Magnum in 300Win and always wanted a 300Wby to match it. Thanks, for all the advice guys. I guess it will stick around here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I’ve never seen a 7 Wby Classic but have seen a few 270 Wbys. I still kick myself for letting loose the 270’s. The 7 Wby, if it was ever made would be pretty danged cool.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

I’ve never seen a 7 Wby Classic but have seen a few 270 Wbys. I still kick myself for letting loose the 270’s. The 7 Wby, if it was ever made would be pretty danged cool.

They are pretty cool. Back when I saw the 300WBY (late 90's), I felt it was priced too high. Was like new, if not new, and had a Leupold of some flavor on it. Damn nice rifle. At the time I had a 300WBY I was already loading for and that rifle was dam accurate (sporter m1917). I believe they wanted $900.00 for the stainless win at the time... That was back when you could buy blued walnut or stainless boat paddle Ruger m77 mkII's for $369.00.. I was a big fan of the stainless winchester classics back then though, as one of my bosses had one chambered in 338wm that would shoot ragged holes with 210 partitions screaming along at 3,050 fps. Hell of an elk stomper that rifle was..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 358WCF, 21 invisible), 15,075 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,978
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.