Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My first post here thanks for having me.
Recently purchased a Model 54 Target and looking to put a scope setup on it. Going to have to be some kind of scout setup since I have no desire to drill and tap my receiver. It looks to have Lyman A blocks on the barrel. What scope rings should I be looking for and does anyone have a source to get them? Probably 1" rings for the LER scopes I can find. Would be nice to have a Unertl on it but that's not in the budget right now.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You would typically use the two barrel holes for a scope block and the existing two holes on the front receiver ring for another scope block. Then you need to find either an old Redfield with internal adjustments that match the mount dimensions or the more available externally adjustable scopes such as Lyman super target spot, Unertl, etc.

The other option would be a Balvar extrenally adjustable mount which uses the exisiting peep sight holes on the right rear of the receiver and the existing holes on the front receiver ring. Balvar or Kuharsky make the mounts for Bausch & Lomb external adjustment scopes.

There is another option of a Stith mount but you are very limited with scope choice.

It is a target model. Use the bases and mount a Lyman Target Spot or Unertl on it.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks. It actually already has blocks on it. I believe they are Lyman. Is there a source for rings? I've always had newer rifles so Leupold mounts and rings were my go to. Don't think that'll work here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Usually, but not always, the scope comes with the windage and elevation adjustable rings attached as far as the Lyman or Unertl scopes go. Check eBay, gun broker, or search for collectible scopes on the net for a dealer. They used to be in the GunList and Shotgun news print papers, but I haven't saw one of those in years. The Redfield is a very long internal adjustment scope, again usually comes with the rings; I think the model was 3200.

Last edited by sbrmike; 01/28/21.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe this is the type of mount that SHOULD have been used on it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My only 54 is a carbine and it has a receiver sight.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Stith mounts will not work on a M54

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Stith made a mount for the 54, but not the 54 Target. My advice: save up your nickels and buy a Unertl/Fecker/Targetspot/Litschert target scope for it like God and Winchester intended. You'll thank me later.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Welcome to the Fire, 2. You have and will get good info here!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
EGW makes a mount that utilizes the target mount holes and extends back over the receiver and accepts Picatinny rings. It is listed for Winchester 52 on their web site. I think it will work for you. They offer an undrilled one if your rifle has different hole spacing.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be saving up for a Lyman or Unertl. It shoots very nice in 257 Roberts. Relatively unmolested just a rebarrel postwar and a modified bolt handle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The fly in the ointment with any 54, as pointed out by an esteemed comrade, isn't whether or not a scope can be mounted but rather the angle of the bolt handle. A target scope such as I mentioned will clear the bolt handle, a "modern" scope in conventional mounts (or a permutation thereof) invariably requires altering the factory bolt handle so it clears the scope. Something to be considered if it's a heretofore unmolested original rifle.

With a vintage target scope the worst that happens is the scope is pretty high up in the air, easily compensated for with a temporary/removable leather cheek riser.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1lessdog, 1234, 52 invisible), 17,855 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,959
Posts18,539,612
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.